96 sub frame engine transmission swap into a 93

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
Berettas#1

96 sub frame engine transmission swap into a 93

Post by Berettas#1 »

Well its been awhile, however I am back and have some big questions!

I have a what started out as a 1996 base model beretta, it now has a hybrid 3400/3500 with a t3 garret turbo an 5 speed manual. I bought it from a great guy in texas named Ricky. I am sure a few of the members here might still know what car I am talking about. I have owned it for 4 years now and not done a lot with it in all honesty.

However that is hopefully going to change soon, The car that ignited my beretta passion is a 1993 beretta gt with the old 3.1 mpfi and 5 speed getrag.
My dream is too make these cars into one great one, taking the heart out of the much more beat 96 and putting it in my cleaner 93.

The big question is if it would be as simple as pulling the entire k member/sub frame out and swapping it into the older car? I am hoping somone here can give me some idea of what might actually have to change just from a bolting one into the other? I know the computer and harness will probably have to be swapped as well. The car desperately needs tuned as well so reach its full potential and I need some ideas of how to get that done as well. I finally have some extra cash and time with a friend with a lift if I can get some ideas answers it would be greatly appreciated Thank you!!

1995 Z26 auto 3100 spfi (sold)
1989 GT 5 speed 2.8 mpfi (crushed)
1993 GT 5 speed 3.1 mpfi (dd)
1988 GTU 5 speed 3500
1996 Base/Z26 hybrid 3400-3500 turbo 5 speed

woody90gtz

Re: 96 sub frame engine transmission swap into a 93

Post by woody90gtz »

I don't remember what Ricky did for tuning, but the OBD1 $A1 mask from the 93 is well documented and very tunable. So a harness swap is not absolutely necessary. OBD2 computer from the 96 will be easier to get tuning done by a shop in sure though.

Physically everything should swap over directly. You'll have to make sure the top aluminum engine side mount is set up for 5spd (the autos are 1"closer to the radiator).

Good luck and post some pics!

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
themixer

Re: 96 sub frame engine transmission swap into a 93

Post by themixer »

woody90gtz wrote:I don't remember what Ricky did for tuning, but the OBD1 $A1 mask from the 93 is well documented and very tunable. So a harness swap is not absolutely necessary. OBD2 computer from the 96 will be easier to get tuning done by a shop in sure though.

Physically everything should swap over directly. You'll have to make sure the top aluminum engine side mount is set up for 5spd (the autos are 1"closer to the radiator).

Good luck and post some pics!

^^^^That's important