How to Begin Restoration??

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
Stencil
Administrator

Re: How to Begin Restoration??

Post by Stencil »

As someone who is currently doing restorations on two Beretta's, I can tell you that your budget for body work and paint is VERY low if you are looking for something that will last.

The "cheap" restoration I'm doing for my 96, I've got about $5500 into right now. That includes buying 2 beretta's for parts/body/interior, new parts, and paint. Good paint materials alone are $1500-2000 for a Beretta. The only way you'll get a job for what you're looking to pay is if you have some sort of "friend" hookup, or you use Macco quality, which you normally get 2-3 years out of before it starts to crack and peel.

The "expensive" restore I'm doing, which includes rust repairs, is at $25,000+ now. That didn't include engine/transmission work either, as I already had those built (another $20k into that). Good body work that will last is VERY expensive.

-Aaron
'92 Beretta GTZ 2.3L 5M - Undergoing "unibody off" restoration ATM (almost done!)
'93 Beretta GT "MISEREE" 3.1 5M
'95 Beretta Base DGGM 2.2 5M
'96 Beretta "FAUXZ26" 2.2 5M
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Yeah. I went the DIY $400 paint job route on mine in 2009 and it looked great for about 5 years but went downhill from there.

I would recommend better materials. You don't need top shelf PPG or DuPont stuff, but at least get their mid grade like Omni or Nason.

My father and I have tried Summit and Eastwood and wouldn't do either of them again.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

Yep I seen auto catalog before. Usually only to check factory 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for random cars. And to see what they weigh. lol

Stencil: Is yours the blue one that I remember seeing that got or is getting fully stripped and redone? That car will be epic when its finished!