so.. I may get my old GTZ back

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
tvc3-gtz

so.. I may get my old GTZ back

Post by tvc3-gtz »

so, it's been a while.. since I have owned or driven a Beretta..

out of the blue the young man who purchased my beloved 1990 Garnet GTZ has offered it back to me. I am currently trying to work out a deal to get my car back.. albeit it's engine (the one I replaced the original with) is "shot" and the front bumper was damaged by a stone wall collision.. regardless...

I am feeling like the Oldsmobile Quad Four engine is not the best route for this car anymore.

If I am to acquire it once again, which is a strong possibility, would something like a 3400 swap be more feasible and dependable without killing the awesome gas mileage the quad four got?

This is kind of a thread that I didn't know where to categorize, so please PM me or something if I put it in the wrong spot...

woody90gtz

Re: so.. I may get my old GTZ back

Post by woody90gtz »

I don't think it would be overly difficult to do. You could swap the engine harness to v6, or possibly even just rewire the injectors and ignition, etc. I'm not sure what that would entail.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
tvc3-gtz

Post by tvc3-gtz »

Would the 5 speed plug and play or would fabrication be required?

MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

You would need v6 harness and and bellhousing for your transmission to work other then that it's pretty much plug n play. Best bet if u can find a v6 5sp car u would have everything needed including eco but would need custom tune chip to run it

93 GT cammed 3500 TORSEN, headers,intake,wilwood,poly/delrin mounts, 2.5 S.S,Exhaust,dickman kits,GTUspoiler,Euro headlights-tails-mirrors-fender flares-spoiler,Intrax/Koni,91+blk interior,rr disk swap,s.s.clutch line
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

It can be done, just need the parts. Wiring harness from a V6 - what year depends on how far you want to go tuning wise - 93 and older you can get a chip to burn, 96 you can tune with HP Tuners or DHP.

Bellhousing as mentioned.

Would have to look into engine mounting - not sure how the Quads were setup from the factory - but mounts can always be welded in as needed.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
bonecrrusher

Post by bonecrrusher »

90 Quad has stupid mounts - you will have to change all of them out. I'd recommend the 92+ V6 style.

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z51
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

More work to swap to them mounts when readily available mounts are made for the older style not everyone has the know how or tools to do certain things

93 GT cammed 3500 TORSEN, headers,intake,wilwood,poly/delrin mounts, 2.5 S.S,Exhaust,dickman kits,GTUspoiler,Euro headlights-tails-mirrors-fender flares-spoiler,Intrax/Koni,91+blk interior,rr disk swap,s.s.clutch line
tvc3-gtz

Post by tvc3-gtz »

Is it easier in theory to rebuild the quad four? Pretty sure the gasket went. Haven't gotten any more info yet

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

MUCH easier just to rebuild or repair (or even replace, if needed) your Quad. Plus, they are becoming a rarer engine, so your car will keep some of its' original uniqueness... 3400s are solid powerplants if updated properly (i.e., ditch the crappy plastic Lower Intake Manifold Gaskets for steel/rubber ones from Fel-Pro, Victor-Reinz, or Dorman), but with all the custom mounts needed (if you have to measure placement and weld something in, that makes it 'custom'), replacing your tranny's bell-housing (split the case in half!) or new V-6 tranny, wiring AND ECU swap, (and don't forget your tach is calibrated for a four-popper, NOT a six-shooter, I think you need a new cluster to fix that, although some older GM clusters could be adapted with a capacitor change, I don't recall if ours can or not), and swapping to a V-6 is neither easy nor cheap. You can't even re-use your original flywheel on the V-6. The 3400s aren't necessarily even a newish engine anymore, so the only way to be sure it is solid is to spend time/money going through it, an investment that could have been put into the Quad. Doable though, if that is what you want to do... Step one is to get your car back! It doesn't sound like that other guy was treating her right, I hope this works out for you. Good luck!

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
tvc3-gtz

Post by tvc3-gtz »

Yeah.. I am still working out the details but he may be asking a bit much for how smashed up she got under his ownership. .

Thanks so much for the continued responses

Unsure what the decision is...

DanteGTZ

Post by DanteGTZ »

tvc3-gtz wrote:Is it easier in theory to rebuild the quad four? Pretty sure the gasket went. Haven't gotten any more info yet
Rebuilding a Quad4 is WAY easier than a V6 swap. Seriously - these engines are pretty damn simple and if you build it right, it will last a loooooong time.

1993 Quasar Quad4 GTZ - Project WTF

Previous Berettas: 90 GT, 93 Quasar GTZ, 93 Garnet GTZ, 93 Aqua GT