heater core

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
woofan11k

heater core

Post by woofan11k »

I have a 1990 Beretta 3.1L Base. Spent my last few days off of work working on it. Power steering cooler sprung a leak and after I got that fixed (literally 20 mins out of the garage) I blew the heater hose/piping that runs along the firewall (rust). I've got everything put back together using 5/8 heater hose however I am pretty concerned about my heater core. I noticed that the lines coming out of the heater core are plastic. When I took the hose off for repair I noticed the line had crack running length wise. Also there was a metal sleeve inside the plastic line. When I put it back together, i left the sleeve out as it appeared to make the crack wider. I was able to slide the new heater hose over the plastic pipe covering all of the crack and then some; finished it off with 2 hose clamps before the barb. Talking with another car buddy, he said that sleeve is to stay in there to keep the hose clamp from cracking/crushing the plastic. I'm debating whether or not it is worth tearing everything back apart to get that sleeve in there. It is not leaking now. So my question, is that metal sleeve stock or did someone else put that in there to remedy the cracked plastic pipe? Reading old forum posts it appears that these are notorious for breaking and that I should plan on replacing the heater core at sometime in the near future. Your thoughts and feedback are appreciated.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: heater core

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Definitely plan on replacing the core soon. The plastic design is original and very poor. The new cores will have full metal outlets and tanks.

Pulling the line off again to put that tube in may just flex it more and break it when you're trying to prevent that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woofan11k

Re: heater core

Post by woofan11k »

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I think I'm going to leave well enough alone for now and just plan on replacing the heater core if it starts to leak. Looks like there are a lot of good threads here explaining the process.