Repainting?

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
GT_Indy

Repainting?

Post by GT_Indy »

Those who repainted their Beretta.
What all did you do to prep the car?
What chemicles did you use to clean and/or strip the existing paint/metal?

Should I strip the paint down to the metal and redo the primer? It flaked in a small spot on the roof and I touched it up temporary but I want it to have a strong foundation.
What primer do you recommend?

How did you remove the rear side window trim?
The other window trims and stuff I can take apart but Ive never figured out the side windows.

The GTZ paint is not perfect, the hood has yellowing blemishes and the other paint shows some aging and it bugs me. I want to redo the car in the factory white and add clear coat on top.

Drying time how many coats of each and how long should it dry?

woody90gtz

Re: Repainting?

Post by woody90gtz »

I blocked the stock paint and used Scotchbrite on the spots that aren't flat. But I'd recommend going to bare metal with epoxy primer as the foundation. That's what I did with my next car.

Whatever you do, don't use cheap mail order paint. Mine looked great for a few years but didn't last. Had to redo it with good stuff. The paint manufacturer will have specs for flash times, coats, etc..

Side window trim on the early cards just pops off. Run a credit card behind the trim to find the plastic studs.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

I didnt know there was an epoxy primer. Thats kinda cool.

I will try the credit card trick on the rear side windows. I hope the trim comes off easily.

Yah I want to get some quality paint on the car. I want it to look nice when I drive it.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Yep, epoxy primer, and use a good automotive paint (I like PPG) with a hardener and reducer. Harbor Freight has a decent little air sprayer (20 oz gravity-feed) for $10-$16, depending on coupon sale, I did the two-stage (base-coat/clear-coat) on my Z-24's fenders with it, and am now finishing up a '46 GMC for a friend with it. Keep it clean with acetone, it will last a lifetime.

Be sure to use a good degreaser/wax remover to wipe-down the whole car first, keep a bag-o-rags handy and make sure the compressor has a water/oil filter. Be prepared to wet-sand the whole thing down after each coat (primer and paint, probably clear-coat too) and finish it off with a good two or three-stage buffing compound (we tried Meguires, but it wasn't as effective as we hoped, so now we are using 3M and it is great, though twice the price) if you want it to look as good or better than factory finish. Otherwise, you will have orange-peel texture and possibly dust contamination causing less-than-perfect finish surfaces. For my Z's fenders, I built a filtered and fan-vented hot-box just the right size for the parts, but that is difficult to do for a whole car. My fenders still look good (slight orange-peel here and there but I didn't sand between coats either), with a few blemishes including a 1-inch diameter spot where the clear-coat popped on one, but those were done maybe eight years ago? No complaints here.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

Rettax3 wrote:Yep, epoxy primer, and use a good automotive paint (I like PPG) with a hardener and reducer. Harbor Freight has a decent little air sprayer (20 oz gravity-feed) for $10-$16, depending on coupon sale, I did the two-stage (base-coat/clear-coat) on my Z-24's fenders with it, and am now finishing up a '46 GMC for a friend with it. Keep it clean with acetone, it will last a lifetime.

Be sure to use a good degreaser/wax remover to wipe-down the whole car first, keep a bag-o-rags handy and make sure the compressor has a water/oil filter. Be prepared to wet-sand the whole thing down after each coat (primer and paint, probably clear-coat too) and finish it off with a good two or three-stage buffing compound (we tried Meguires, but it wasn't as effective as we hoped, so now we are using 3M and it is great, though twice the price) if you want it to look as good or better than factory finish. Otherwise, you will have orange-peel texture and possibly dust contamination causing less-than-perfect finish surfaces. For my Z's fenders, I built a filtered and fan-vented hot-box just the right size for the parts, but that is difficult to do for a whole car. My fenders still look good (slight orange-peel here and there but I didn't sand between coats either), with a few blemishes including a 1-inch diameter spot where the clear-coat popped on one, but those were done maybe eight years ago? No complaints here.
Thanks for the information, I didn't know I needed to do all of that as well. I will look into it.
That helps put a dent in my research. lol.
Yah I'm not sure about the degreaser/wax remover. I know I want something harsh (that takes paint off too) because I want to have a good foundation. I'm not sure the flaking paint is good to paint over.
I temporarily used touch up paint and clear coat on areas where the paint flaked, keeps metal from rusting, hoping it lasts till I get everything and go for a repaint.
This car is spotless, zero rust, mint interior, I want to bring the paint to the quality where it should be.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

If the paint is flaking, you have no choice but to remove it all.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

woody90gtz wrote:If the paint is flaking, you have no choice but to remove it all.
Yah I agree. I'll look into a paint stripper or something.

What about the primer? Should I go down to the metal or do you think the existing primer is still good enough?

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

The primer is the issue here, the paint has not stuck to it. Bring the car to bare metal and start from the ground up. The foundation is what makes the paint job, don't skip it and think what GM sprayed down is good enough after 27 or so years...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

3X00-Modified wrote:The primer is the issue here, the paint has not stuck to it. Bring the car to bare metal and start from the ground up. The foundation is what makes the paint job, don't skip it and think what GM sprayed down is good enough after 27 or so years...
I agree, I want to do it right. I'm thinking the paint is original, but the hood looks like it was repainted to me.
Do you suggest anything specific that can melt the paint off the metal?
Should I buff or sand the metal?

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I did my whole Camaro with 80 on the DA after trying to do the roof with stripper. F that noise. It's a nasty mess and doesn't work worth a damn. The DA takes quite a while but it does a good job on the flat areas.

Another option is to get it professionally blasted. I would have loved to use my dad's new rig back when I was working on mine.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
yellow3800

Post by yellow3800 »

DADS PAINT STRIPPER

Blue and white can.

Period. No Klean strip, or anything. Buy this at a local house paint store. That’s where I find it most. Don’t know why... I don’t care for price because you can HEAR it lift paint above 72F in seconds.

Spray or brush? No preference. I think I waste less by brushing. Try both.

Sanding is good if not going to bare metal. Paper is $80 for that big wad of gold 6” sheets. Use them wisely.