Couple of questions about LIMG

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
Cam2363

Couple of questions about LIMG

Post by Cam2363 »

I'm going to be attempting my LIMG soon on my 96 z26 with the 3100 and had a few questions,

Some of the guides say I need to remove the exhaust manifold and one of the engine mounts, but another guide says nothing about any of that, so do I need to remove the exhaust manifold and engine mount, or can they stay, and if so, how and where is a good place to support the engine?

I'm also looking for any other tricks of things you guys know any other common problems and how to go about doing them.

I also want to know if there is a guide specifically for my car. The guides I've found seem to be for buicks and stuff.

Any help or other advice is appreciated!

Rettax3

Re: Couple of questions about LIMG

Post by Rettax3 »

Mount yes, exhaust no.

When GM 'designed' that abhorrent upper mount, they didn't care about having to remove it to replace the power steering pump (or even the serpentine belt -stupid, just stupid). That pump needs to come off to access the lower manifold.

I've never even heard anything suggested on the exhaust being removed for this -if you are doing head gaskets, that starts becoming an issue, but just for the LIMG, no.

Remember to have a box or something handy to store your pushrods in while doing the job -punch holes in the box with a pencil (or similar), mark the box so you know which position each pushrod came from, and make sure each pushrod goes back into the exact same spot it came out of. Since you are using a non-OE type LIMG, use the recommended torque and procedure supplied by the manufacturer if it differs from GM's original specs (different design and materials often need a different clamping force). The rest of this is just basic procedures, removing parts and reinstalling them, keep everything super-clean, make sure the top of the engine is clean before starting so dirt doesn't fall down into the engine when you pull the lower manifold off.

You can get a factory service manual for the car, ebay is a great place to look if no one here has one they want to part with -I have one (two-book set) that came with my second '95 Z-26, they are awesome. Otherwise, for basic stuff like this, the generic Haynes/Chilton books are pretty good, and this is the same engine in essentially the same bay as Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile N-body cars of the same era (i.e. Grand Am, Skylark, Achieva) and some others too, so the information applies 100%.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Cam2363

Re: Couple of questions about LIMG

Post by Cam2363 »

Thanks. I found a great video on the replacement.

I actually was doing some surfing yesterday on ebay and found part 2 for like 5 bucks and bought it, realized it was part 2 and got part one for 10. I also have a Haynes manual. So I think I'm set. Thanks for the advice! I plan to replace my belt too as it doesnt look bad, But it's easy enough to do while it's all apart.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk