Bad Transmission bearing?

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
uncle

Bad Transmission bearing?

Post by uncle »

My drivers side axle will not spin freely when in neutral…. Is this a bad bearing or something else? We've had the thing in and out four times now and i am beyond pissed.

thanks

1990 GTZ Quad 4 HO
GTZryda

Re: Bad Transmission bearing?

Post by GTZryda »

What about the passenger side axle, will thats spin freely? If not it may be the diff.

90 GTZ W41
96 Z26
96 Twin cam
uncle

Post by uncle »

Passenger side is fine

1990 GTZ Quad 4 HO
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Well, can really only be a couple of things. Bearing, calipers not clearing (sticking and grabbing the rotor a bit) binding in the shaft (bad CV joints?)... Not much else can go wrong there.

Are you sure you got the splines of the axle all the way into the bearing from inside to out? I know I had to really draw mine up tight on the last set, even after cleaning and lubing them they were tight to pull together.

Sounds like the most likely culprit is the bearing though. Good luck.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

uncle

Post by uncle »

It must be the differential then. The bearing and calipers seam fine and the axle assembly is brand new. I need to get back on the road so what will happen if I just go ahead and put it back together and drive it like this?

1990 GTZ Quad 4 HO
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Worst thing that could happen is the diff explodes. Could take the differential housing with it. Extreme worse case would be an axle whacking something as it flops around if it comes completely out and tearing up something else, putting a hole into the engine pan, crap like that.

But that would be worse case. More than likely it would just explode in the housing and start grinding noises and you wouldn't be going anywhere.

Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

SuzukiGhostRider

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

Sounds like your diff is shot. I wouldn't risk driving it unless you wanting to be picking transmission chunks up off of the hwy. If you can even get to the hwy...

uncle

Post by uncle »

Great!

How big of an ordeal is it to swap a functional diff in the unit? My old transmission is shot also and now I have deal with finding and buying another…. been burned twice now on parts with this project.

1990 GTZ Quad 4 HO
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Lets see....

Drop the wheels, the calipers, rotors, drop the ball joints, pop the axles out, slide them out of the tranny, pull the diff hub, replace it, put it back together. Its a shitty job.

SuzukiGhostRider

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

I wouldn't bother. I'd just replace the whole transmission. Unless you can find a guy (or you want to) rebuild a Getrag.

Finding JUST a diff for a 282 is going to be next to impossible.

Ace, are you referring to replacing hub bearings? It sounds like it. Replacing the differential is not an "in car job". The transmission has be removed FROM the car, case cracked and torn down.

90GTZHO

Post by 90GTZHO »

Out of curiousity, when you are checking this is the car in the air with the front suspension sagging? If so, that sounds more like axle bind. If it will not spin in neutral in the air suspending, leave the car in the air, and place the jack under the control arm. If when you level out the suspension and axle is nearly straight to the trans and it spins, you have a bad CV joint. A replacement axle will solve this problem. In all honesty, i have never heard of the diff in any of these Getrag trannies going out unless heavily abused. I have a 258k mile tranny in my car and it does fine still :)

Geoff
95 Base V6: Current Project; Work In Progress
Chad91GTZ

Post by Chad91GTZ »

You didn't get burned. You probably got a bunch of water inside the housing when washing all the dirt you were bitching about off,or let the thing sit on a cold concrete floor and it condensed a bunch of water inside it.

I put 100k miles on that transmissin over 6 years and never had an issue. If you want your money back quit being a queen and ship me the unit, there isn't a damn thing wrong with it that you didn't cause.

My Motortopia

Bfest Committee 2012, 2013, 2014
Bfest AND Bust 2012 Winner: First ever clutch swap at Berettafest!
Bfest 2013 Watermelon Award: Boob shaped hood dents FTW
uncle

Post by uncle »

I have new axle assemblies but I will double check….

thanks for the tip Geoff

1990 GTZ Quad 4 HO
uncle

Post by uncle »

Chad91GTZ wrote:You didn't get burned. You probably got a bunch of water inside the housing when washing all the dirt you were bitching about off,or let the thing sit on a cold concrete floor and it condensed a bunch of water inside it.

I put 100k miles on that transmissin over 6 years and never had an issue. If you want your money back quit being a queen and ship me the unit, there isn't a damn thing wrong with it that you didn't cause.
Listen you little ass clown: I didn't wash it off with water and it probably froze up while Fall turned into Winter and then into Spring during your extended shipping delay (excluding the weeks the delivery company "lost" it.) And I don't want to hear about your medical condition as an excuse either…...

How about you refund the money and then I will ship it back?

1990 GTZ Quad 4 HO
Chad91GTZ

Post by Chad91GTZ »

You wanna get stupid on the forum you go right ahead. And when you ship it back Ill put it in my car and drive it. You're just bitching because you bought a unit with 215k miles on it, AS IS. Then you bitched about some grime on the case. The unit had fluid in it right until it got shipped, so sit on it.

Its a used transmission. If you wanted a new unit, you shoulda bought one.

You keep having issues buying stuff on the forum, maybe YOU'RE the problem, EG your crap-tastic attitude like everyone is trying to screw you over. Get over yourself.

Call me another name and I'll start to take it personally.

My Motortopia

Bfest Committee 2012, 2013, 2014
Bfest AND Bust 2012 Winner: First ever clutch swap at Berettafest!
Bfest 2013 Watermelon Award: Boob shaped hood dents FTW