pre mix paint

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
themadness

pre mix paint

Post by themadness »

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... P2050_____

i'm considering using some of this premix paint to revive my car. not that nasty green of course. it looks like a cost effective option. have any of you guys used it? is it the same as single stage paint?

dhenderz

Re: pre mix paint

Post by dhenderz »

Haven't used it myself, but there was an entire episode of Musclecar (on Spike's Powerblock TV) where they sprayed an older Mustang with the premixed Duplicolor. It looked OK and they indicated no issues with the paint. You might be able to Google the episode and find it online.

2011 Equinox LT (daily driver)
1981 Omega Sport (waiting to be restored)

Photobucket: http://s912.photobucket.com/albums/ac324/dhenderz/
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Keep in mind that will really only work with simple colors. Nearly all cars these days are using the two coat system, with a color layer and a clear layer over it. And if I read correctly, with some of the colors on this system you still have to use a clear coat over it:

Dupli-Color� Paint Shop� Finish System gives you everything you need to create a high-quality DIY finish � primer, color and clear. Paint Shop is a high-quality lacquer system designed for automotive and motorcycle applications that is easy to apply, dries quickly and can be buffed to a brilliant smooth finish. Paint Shop is a ready-to-spray system that requires no mixing or reducing, and with no re-coat window, additional coats can be applied at anytime.

Product Features:

Pre-Reduced Ready-To-Spray Lacquer
No Mixing Or Reducing Required
Easy To Apply And Dries Quickly
No Recoat Window, Reapply At Any Time
Color Coat Must Be Clear Coated
Wet Sands Easily and can be used on Automotive/Motorcycle or Custom Paint Jobs

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Lacquer sucks. It sucked in the 70s and it sucks now. Go with a modern urethane. I used the Summit urethane paint system on my Beretta and my old man's Buick and it works pretty well. The Buick came out GREAT. You have to mix the catalyst, but everything is an easy 4:1 ratio and the paint, primer & clear all use the same activator. It's really easy and worth the extra 2 mintues of time vs lacquer crap.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
cramez

Post by cramez »

I know a couple guys that have used it on drag cars and it looks great at first. Lacquer looks good, polishes out well, and shoots easy...and looks like absolute trash in a year or two. The guys with it on their dragsters still look OK, but those cars are never outside other than being at the track. If you use it on a daily driver you'll be redoing it way sooner than you want to.

What woody suggested is the way to go - get ahold of some more modern paint. You'll pay at least twice as much, but once it's done, you're done.