Headliner

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
Gtzman

Headliner

Post by Gtzman »

Whats the best way to get the headliner out of my GTZ (has sunroof)? I dont wanna completley destroy it and make a mess.

Styluss
Global Moderator

Re: Headliner

Post by Styluss »

VERY carefully. I cannot speak for the sunroof part as I have never taken one out of a sunroof equipped car, but I can tell you that the headliner is held in on the edges with hook and loop (hardcore velcro) and it can be tough to get it loose without busting it up. I take a screwdriver about 6 inches long and slide it between the hook and loop to release it. There are about 4 inch strips of the hook and loop holding on the headliner located two in the back, two on each side and two in the front.

1989 GTU - The Nice Car
1989 GTU Mock - The Neglected Car
1989 Base Model - The Rally Car
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

I used the fiberglass interior sticks and much caution followed by a few choice words. Remove the interior rear panels out from the car and take the door, sunroof, coat hanger trim all out. Don't for get about the sunvisors and map light pocket if you have that.

_________
-------------
indyyellow

Post by indyyellow »

While you do not have too, removing a front seat does make it easy to remove.
On my Indy Beretta I had the sunroof. If you plan on installing it yourself once recovered make sure you PAY ATTN to how the stuff around the sunroof goes back together, maybe take pics of it as you take it out. Other wise I seem to recall it (the liner board) being held in by the plastic trim stuff that goes up and meets it, that have to be removed, then remove the two coat hanging in the back, then remove the sunvisors, then the sunroof latch, then the dome light and or map pocket, then I think (pretty sure, unless diff for your car) there are 6 velcro parts holding it up from there. Two on the sides, two front, and two back. Take it easy when pulling them apart. The velcro mounted to the car COULD just come off with the liner board or the velcro on the board to the velcro attached to the car. No big deal as long as you don't rip the liner boards at those mating velcor points. A good liner repair guy can fix all that stuff if you get it all out with yanking the board apart. The velcro is (was on mine) stapled to the liner board, and the mating ones were snapped into the sheet metal of the car
If you have had water damage MAKE SURE the board is dry, try not to pull it while it is still wet or you will mess it up. Once loose, just drop it down on the side that your taking it out the door on and slowly move it out. When I put mine on the floor I keep it propped up, no sag, it would not run the risk of ripping if you have soft spots. Key thing is just to take your time.
Once out this is a GREAT time to make sure your sun roof drains are draining well. Four of those, one in each corner of the sunroof. Once the liner board is out you will see the 4 hoses from the drains on the inside of the car. Make sure where they clamp on that there is no RUST that could lead to future leaking on your nice new liner board. The front ones drain out up from below the lower door mounts, and if I recall the back two drain out in front of the back tires or near there.
Also while you are leak testing, make sure your rocker panel drains are open. Along the bottom of the rockers there are like 3 or 4 small opening along the rocker seam that you can get a small screw driver in, put one in them to make sure they are clear, not clogged. This is how the water gets out of the rockers and keeps them from rusting for the most part. If you have leaking wet spots up front on the head liner the front two latch points for the sunroof prob have bad seals. The sides of the liner board if they have wetness check the door jam runner seals. Mine were just filled with crud front the years and were not sealing. I pulled then and cleaned then and remounted and that leak went away.
Good luck.

Tim

---2005 Magnum RT -- 116k
---1996 Ford Probe GT (V6/5sp) -- 150k (90k on motor)
---1993 Chevy Silverado Z71 -- 261k
indyyellow

Post by indyyellow »

Don't be afraid to let the liner board to twist/flex a little. Mine was soft but dry from wetness and it still came out with out ripping. Just keep your hands on it and try not to let it make any sudden drop/twist movements. It is stronger then it looks/feels. Ha ha

Tim

---2005 Magnum RT -- 116k
---1996 Ford Probe GT (V6/5sp) -- 150k (90k on motor)
---1993 Chevy Silverado Z71 -- 261k
pghturbo88

Post by pghturbo88 »

I posted this thread after doing mine a couple of months ago. Do not make the same mistake I did, remember to leave enough headliner material all the way around the inside of the sunroof opening so that you can tuck it up under the channel and install the rubber liner. I used one of those forked trim tab remover tools to remove the rectangular tab blocks all the way around. Good luck!

http://www.beretta.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9151

1988 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible 2.2L Turbo (Original Owner)
1989 Beretta GT 2.8L (Original Owner)
1996 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L
2009 Honda Accord EX Sedan 2.4L (Original Owner)