couple of questions? newb

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
UnDerE$t@MateD

couple of questions? newb

Post by UnDerE$t@MateD »

soooo this might be a dumb question but is there away to time the quad 4 engine just wondering cus i just got the beretta about two weeks ago giving it a good tune up. i usually check the timing but my chiltons says this is not possible. also it idles just above a grand and it says there is no way to adjust my idle either. i was going to check for vac leaks with a can of starter fluid. i was just wondering about these two things just curious.

Kris GTwhat?

Re: couple of questions? newb

Post by Kris GTwhat? »

the only way to check the timing, is to remove the black side cover off of the passenger side of the motor (which includes removing the harmonic balancer and anything else in the way). not worth the time. i promise, you would know if your timing was off since its an interference engine ;)

my quad idled at about 800-1000, so if its just a lil higher it couldnt be much causing it. check your idle air control valve (little black thing bolted to your throttle body with 2 little torque head bolts). alot of times those get gummed up with carbon and wont let it idle correctly. also, DONT move the spring when you take it out. you'll know what im talking about when you take it apart.

good luck and welcome to the forums!

1991 GTZ: RIP
UnDerE$t@MateD

Post by UnDerE$t@MateD »

i wasmeaning ignition timing not mechanical. and i will follow you lead and try checking that

UnDerE$t@MateD

Post by UnDerE$t@MateD »

really no imput is any one even on this site.

spacecadetz26

Post by spacecadetz26 »

the ignition timing is not adjustable

Steph
94 Camaro B4C Special Service Package
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Its computer controlled. So unless you were to reprogram the computer to act differently (and it is already tuned correctly) then it has to be other causes, most likely sensor/air idle, etc. These engines if properly maintained don't need tune ups. Spark plugs and wires, sensors, sure. But that's about it. Oil pumps can fail after a while on these engines, so always keep an eye on the oil pressure. If it hits 0 for more than a minute, the engine is toast. Probably even less than that. But if its shut down right away and the pump replaced, you will be fine.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

UnDerE$t@MateD

Post by UnDerE$t@MateD »

cool thanks thats all i wanted to know