1990 Yellow Indy 5 speed... needs a REALLY good bath.

List a Beretta Item for sale
SuzukiGhostRider

Re: 1990 Yellow Indy 5 speed... needs a REALLY good bath.

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

Hey man, I PM'd him about the car. I never said it wasn't worth the money. Just having a hard time with the salvage yard offer figure. I mean, best you can do anywhere out here , is $200 , IF you're lucky. I just dunno what drugs your salvage yards are on, but keep 'em on 'em. So , when scrap was WAY up there two years ago, I guess you guys were getting $1k at the salvage yard huh?

SuzukiGhostRider

DTMAce wrote:......

The reason some places offer more, is because they partially strip the car for parts, as well as scrap it. I know of a few yards that operate this way.
95% of ALL salvage yards work this way. Buy it, sell parts till it's picked clean , scrap it. Not exactly a revelation.

I just wish any junkyard ANYWHERE down near me was paying that money. They're not. Thinking your car is worth $500 scrap is why there are 90 million piles of crap on CL with "blown motor, slipping trans, busted window , dented 1/4 panel, I'll take $1400" Buahahahahh! Yeah.....

If they were paying that down here, I could make a NICE living just hauling crap boxes to the scrap yard. Plenty of them around for free or next to free....

cramez

Post by cramez »

When scrap was up over $350 a ton, I did see a few cars go to the yard for over a grand, yes. Steel is heavy and expensive to move, so its price can vary wildly from one region of the country to the next. From Pennsylvania to the midwest where there's a lot more steel processors, demand and price are higher. If there's not a whole lot of demand for scrap steel in your area and it has to be hauled 250 miles to be sold, the price goes down due to the transportation costs.

When things were crazy high a few years ago I did get $750 for an old Lincoln Continental that had gone through a demo derby. I was actually making a part time income hauling away junkers that people didn't want, pulling a few parts, and crushing the steel. Then came cash for clunkers, which flooded the steel market, and economics took over from there.

Not meaning to be argumentative or thread hijack, just saying it's a perspective thing. I live in Wisconsin, and cars are totalled due to rust here. Cars end up in salvage yards just because of salt and rust issues. Those crap boxes you can get for close to free in New Mexico...I'd be drooling over them.

SuzukiGhostRider

Right? I love the rust freeness of almost all things on wheels down here. I grew up in Wi. so I know what you poor bastards have to deal with as far as rust is concerned. I guess I need to think about hauling cars back east every now and then,lol.

Anyway, sorry to thread jack to the seller. And , apparently, I stand corrected on the salvage prices back east, so my apologies for my earlier statement.

GLWTS.

SGR

2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

Scrap prices really vary upon location I think. I got $350 for my old 95 base a couple months ago, and it ran, but was rusted to hell underneath. Hope someone can save this 5spd indy though, it would be a real shame to scrap it.

1994 AQUA ZED
cotter1977

Post by cotter1977 »

hey i am interested in car if u still have U can post back on here or call me 4047496055 i have looked 4 one of these 4 a while and am really interested thanks

indyyellow

Post by indyyellow »

Has anyone got better pics of the car yet?

Tim

---2005 Magnum RT -- 116k
---1996 Ford Probe GT (V6/5sp) -- 150k (90k on motor)
---1993 Chevy Silverado Z71 -- 261k
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

Cotter, in the future please edit your posts when they are that close together...

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

You might consider parting it out and scrapping the shell if you want to make some more cash on it. It's what I'd do as the whole car sold as is will not net you the highest dollar amount and dealing with low ball offers are a pita.
cramez wrote:I got $600 for a base I scrapped a couple years ago, and scrap prices weren't much higher then than they are now. I can't imagine why we can't find these cars anymore. Here's a guy trying to keep a car out of the crusher - one of the most rare pieces in this group - and he's either offered less than scrap price or cussed at. Wow. ANY car that runs and moves under its own power is $500 minimum. ANY car. go to an auto auction with $400 in your pocket - you'll get nothing. Scrap yards will pay that for a car knowing nothing about it. No motor, no trans, and rolled over a 3000lb. car is worth $300 just in crushed steel. This thing is worth 750-900 as it sits at least, and that's just going by what can be seen in the pictures.

Derrik - Thank you for keeping a rare car out of the crusher. If I was in a position to buy another car right now it would already be gone. I hope somebody with some restoration ability gets a hold of you soon, because that car is plenty salvageable if it's not rotting away underneath.
x2

_________
-------------
indyyellow

Post by indyyellow »

I wish there were more pics posted of it.

Tim

snowblindburd
Administrator

Post by snowblindburd »

I, too, would like to see more.

indyyellow

Post by indyyellow »

I just find it a bit odd that the owner wants it to be saved by someone that will do it right, puts up what frankly are lousy shots of it and then more or less vanishes.

Tim

SuzukiGhostRider

Uh huh.... I think he got butt hurt at my reality check. He sent me back a PM saying he wanted like $2k in it's CURRENT condition. The car is overall nice, and I'm NOT afraid of the work or getting dirty doing it, but no. Not $2k. Not the way it sits.

DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

2k? lol

That isn't going to happen.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

indyyellow

Post by indyyellow »

Hell I can't get 2k for mine and it is a 100% functioning car, a driver, older weak paint job and not a 5 sp but... He suffers from what I did, "IT'S WORTH A MILLION BUCKS" illness.

Tim