Looking for a 88 digital cluster

List any Item for a Beretta that you want to purchase
CorvetteBeretta

Looking for a 88 digital cluster

Post by CorvetteBeretta »

I'm looking for a working digital cluster for my 88 gt mine went crazy cant read anything.

I'm located in Vancouver Canada postal code v3m4j7

Rettax3

Re: Looking for a 88 digital cluster

Post by Rettax3 »

One was on ebay last week, $69.99. No bids, looked fully functional. "avantexd2" was the seller. Shoot them a message and see if they will re-list it for you and ship to Canada. Looks like it comes with the pigtails and control buttons too. Can't beat that deal these days! If they just won't ship to Canada, PM me and maybe I can help out...

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
CorvetteBeretta

I got it from him cost me 112 Canadian shipped I'm sooo happy finally I can see my gauges again. Can't beat that price!

Asylum

Post by Asylum »

Those clusters are repairable and most dealers have a local go to guy who can do them, or can actually do them in house.

My '94 Blazer and my '90 Cutlass both had digital clusters that bombed out and the fix was never all that expensive.

The gauges actually all still work. It's the lighting that goes for a poop!

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
CorvetteBeretta

Asylum wrote:Those clusters are repairable and most dealers have a local go to guy who can do them, or can actually do them in house.

My '94 Blazer and my '90 Cutlass both had digital clusters that bombed out and the fix was never all that expensive.

The gauges actually all still work. It's the lighting that goes for a poop!
this is good to know I always thought of the dealer as to pricy, Im gonna take them my old on and see how much it would cost.

Thanks man

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

There are tons of digital dash repair people on the web... just do a search and contact them to see if they can fix it... Most dealers I can only assume now when you walk in with something from 1988 they are going to look at you cross eyed... Just keep that in mind.

First place I found was http://www.mrwhizard.com/ Says he can do Z24 digi dash's so he can probably do the Beretta one as well.

I'm actually going to be sending my Indy head unit out to someone to inspect/repair it so I don't have to replace it or swap to an aftermarket unit.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
CorvetteBeretta

3X00-Modified wrote:There are tons of digital dash repair people on the web... just do a search and contact them to see if they can fix it... Most dealers I can only assume now when you walk in with something from 1988 they are going to look at you cross eyed... Just keep that in mind.

First place I found was http://www.mrwhizard.com/ Says he can do Z24 digi dash's so he can probably do the Beretta one as well.

I'm actually going to be sending my Indy head unit out to someone to inspect/repair it so I don't have to replace it or swap to an aftermarket unit.
I figured they would take one look at it and burst out laughing then try to sell me a camero.

Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

Actually, the Digital cluster in the Beretta is quite different from most others GM used. It's a backlit LCD, most of the others are VFD (Vacuum Fluorescent)

Cliff Scott
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Cliff8928 wrote:Actually, the Digital cluster in the Beretta is quite different from most others GM used. It's a backlit LCD, most of the others are VFD (Vacuum Fluorescent)
^^^This. Some years of the Riviera also used the back-lit LCD (I have a nice working unit that I was considering putting into my '90 'Retta before finally settling on the VFD-type digitals from the Olds Cutlass Supreme International that is in the car now. I know there were one or two other cars using the LCD type, but I cannot think of them off the top of my head. I tried fixing a VFD from a Z-24 myself (it is usually the capacitors that dry-out, and eventually toast the power-supply), but after replacing all of the capacitors (and there were a LOT of them -good thing components are cheap) I found that I was too late to save the power supply, and there was simply too much corrosion on the board to keep trying to bring it back to life.

Still, they can be fixed, and as Jon said, there are people out there with the tools, equipment and know-how to do it right. Most of them just want three-digit pay to do it.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26