Shift Knob/ Shifter info?

List any Item for a Beretta that you want to purchase
Asylum

Re: Shift Knob/ Shifter info?

Post by Asylum »

woody90gtz wrote:The Fiero shifters are backwards, but it looks like that stick would work in the stock shifter.
I e-mailed Dickman and he feels the angle would be too far off to look right, but it would work.

BTW, he IS thinking of making FWD shift cables if there is sufficient demand. If you go to his Fiero Shifters page he is asking for input.

I would suggest everyone go there and indicate an interest!! His stuff is very good quality.

:beer:

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

DanteGTZ wrote:I have a shifter from a Grand Am that will bolt directly into the Berettas and allow you to use a threaded shifter knob. If you're interested, I can get you a shipping quote to Canada.
Those GA shifters (if it is the early-mid nineties like I am thinking of) are a lot beefier than the Beretta ones -I want to say they the threaded shaft on top (in place of the rinky stamped-steel plate on the Berettas) is even stainless...

I have a black leather knob with red stitching on my GTU, I got it from Autozone some years ago. I've seen similar ones since that just don't look as nice, and don't have the ergonomic thumb detent on the top. Almost positive "Pilot" was the brand that made mine. It works fine on a stock Beretta shifter, but sits a little tall -I finally cut my shifter down an inch or three, and it feels much better.

I also ran across a factory leather shift-knob in an early 2000s Cavalier -but IIRC there was a problem with it attaching to the Beretta shifter -probably associated with the Reverse access safety feature, I just cannot remember for certain. It looked good though, and had a plastic shift-pattern insert in the top...

Pilot also made the aluminum-and-leather shift-knob I had in my second '85 300ZX, but it was designed for automatics and was spring-loaded as a push-down unit, which felt a little weird, and it was too light for me. My favorite thusfar is the factory black plastic ball used in both of my '88 Camaros, but the billet aluminum ball in the '89 RS is also nice (and heavy). Although the pistol-grip Hurst shifter in my old Plymouth runs close to favorite too, especially since I replaced the original plastic grips with hand-carved black walnut pieces. :twisted:

Have you thought about finding a hardwood ball for the shifter? Have you looked through the stock at any of your local autoparts stores?

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
CorvetteBeretta

Post by CorvetteBeretta »

Here is a great shift knob for ya...

LINK REMOVED FOR INAPPROPRIATE CONTENT.
Last edited by 3X00-Modified on Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: INAPPROPRIATE CONTENT

Asylum

Post by Asylum »

CorvetteBeretta wrote:Here is a great shift knob for ya...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7-9WyS5mhUs
And now the IDIOTS are involved!

Did you actually have to go looking for that because you are so desperate to post something/anything in every thread, and having nothing meaningful, intelligent or helpful at all, decided this would be appropriate?

It was only a matter of time I suppose. :(

Eric

Asylum Motorsports

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Eric.... Would you please be a bit less abrasive with your replies. I know you may not agree or like some replies but you don't need to post stuff like that. This is actually your second post that I've see like this lately. Remember I need to treat all members equally when it comes to administration regardless of friendship. I gotta keep the peace!

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
CorvetteBeretta

Post by CorvetteBeretta »

It was a joke buddy! No need to get all pissy pants.. oh ya its called google it usually takes about 5 seconds to find what u need.
Last edited by CorvetteBeretta on Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Speed Dawg is a source for custom shift knobs you can order to your spec. I found them when looking to replace my truck's L123OD knob with a 12345.

https://speeddawg.com/

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

CorvetteBeretta wrote:It was a joke buddy! No need to get all pissy pants.. oh ya its called google it usually takes about 5 seconds to find what u need.
Well my little niece didn't think it was very bloody funny!!!
She happened to be sitting with me when I opened it.
GROW UP!

Eric

Asylum Motorsports

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

My apologies Eric, I did not follow the link till just now. CorvetteBeretta this is a public forum and in the rules we state that there is to be no linked or posted images containing sexual content...
Any material that is linked and/or pasted on this board that contains anything in an explicit sexual nature will be deleted and the topic will be locked. Members posting risk suspension and/or being banned from the board.
Consider this your verbal warning and please do not do this ever again.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
ronaconda

Post by ronaconda »

Fiero shift arms will in fact work without any problems. Geoff (90HOGTZ) was using the Fiero arm and it is threaded on top for nearly whatever threaded knob your heart desires. IIRC, the arm is help on by a snap clip and slides off the assembly.

Asylum

Post by Asylum »

ronaconda wrote:Fiero shift arms will in fact work without any problems. Geoff (90HOGTZ) was using the Fiero arm and it is threaded on top for nearly whatever threaded knob your heart desires. IIRC, the arm is help on by a snap clip and slides off the assembly.
I'm going to have to try this.
I know some guys in the Toronto Fiero Group. Somebody has to have a shifter kicking around.

Thanx

Eric

Asylum Motorsports

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

The four-speed Fiero shifter arm is the same as the much rarer five-speed option. My '86 GT is waiting (and will have to keep waiting) for a five-speed swap (parts I have, time I do not, and the car is not with me right now anyway), but I only have a four-speed shifter for it. I can't get a picture of mine, but check out Pennock's Fiero Forum, I am sure you can find a good picture of one there. BUT, they do have a bit of an odd bend in them (the one's I've seen at least, and I don't think they changed them from year to year), so the '92-'96(?) N-body shifter arm (or complete assembly) might still be better for you...

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
ronaconda

Post by ronaconda »

Rettax3 wrote:The four-speed Fiero shifter arm is the same as the much rarer five-speed option. My '86 GT is waiting (and will have to keep waiting) for a five-speed swap (parts I have, time I do not, and the car is not with me right now anyway), but I only have a four-speed shifter for it. I can't get a picture of mine, but check out Pennock's Fiero Forum, I am sure you can find a good picture of one there. BUT, they do have a bit of an odd bend in them (the one's I've seen at least, and I don't think they changed them from year to year), so the '92-'96(?) N-body shifter arm (or complete assembly) might still be better for you...
The actual shifter assembly shouldn't matter unless the 4-speed shifters are physically different than the 5-speed assemblies. Shift detents are in the transmissions, not the shifters. Take the cables off and the arm flops all over the place!!!
Asylum wrote: I'm going to have to try this.
I know some guys in the Toronto Fiero Group. Somebody has to have a shifter kicking around.

Thanx
I may have one lying around as well...i'll check and let you know.

Asylum

Post by Asylum »

Well hold on for just now, thanx!

I ran into a local guy who does leather work, and he says he can cover my stock one for $20.

Any grain I like and any color stitching I want.

May see what that is all about first.

Eric

Asylum Motorsports