70 challenger MANIFOLDS. this is probably a long shot.

List any Item for a Beretta that you want to purchase
beretta

70 challenger MANIFOLDS. this is probably a long shot.

Post by beretta »

My father in-law is currently restoring a 70 challenger and is in need of manifolds for a 360 engine, he has truck manifolds and they just will not work the exit point is right on top of the steering box.

ones that the ports run straight across to each other and exit out the back, instead of the ports running down then across, they join straight across and hug tight to the engine. the problem is the ones he has come way down then run across and they sit right on the steering box.

or like whats in this picture, i think these are what they call magnum manifolds, kinda look like headers.
the one in this picture instead of coming out and going down and across.. it goes up and across to give the clearance needed..

Most important is the driver side, passenger side would be nice to have matching set but current one will work in a pinch, driver side is totally fubar without the proper one though.

contrapezist

Re: 70 challenger MANIFOLDS. this is probably a long shot.

Post by contrapezist »

IIRC this is how they look. You had a log on one side and rams horn on the other at least the big blocks were that way I think only the hemi had matching manifolds. It looked odd but was very functional you got clearance for the starter, steering box, a nice large surface for the hot air intake, could change the plugs and very importantly wouldnt jam the steering shaft if you broke an engine mount (ask me how I know)
Im sure pop has my old big block manifolds he never gets rid of anything but will check to see if hes pulled any small block E-body manifolds or if one of his friends thats parted more cars and gotten rid of less has any. Then again with his current project he may be looking for a pair (putting a 1970 E-body suspension under a 66 B-body) Keep us posted if you come up with anything and Ill do some checking with my old chrysler fiends.

beretta

Post by beretta »

I think he has found a set, its waiting for the guy to dig them out and a day off work to get a chance to go pick them up.

He recently bought headers for it but i guess he has to remove the steering bar and a bunch of stuff and it goes through the pipes and hes not into doing all that since he has finally got those parts put back on the car.

The car was stripped to nothing and hes been trying to put it together slowly. between waiting for people to come help him cuz hes not good at welding and working all the time he doesnt get much of a chance to work on it.

If it was me i would make the headers work lol.

Asylum

Post by Asylum »

1970 Challengers did not come wth 360's

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
beretta

Post by beretta »

is not the original engine. he also had to get the driveshaft made for it, he had one that was too long and the wrong yoke for the trans but its all sorted out and in now, he finally got the rest of his wire harness done and she fires up, next he wants to get the exhaust on.

Its defiantly a tight fit with that engine in there, the manifolds on it now sit directly on top of the steering box but they are off a truck i guess.

There was a 360 engine on kijiji around Toronto with the style manifolds i have pictured, wanted like 600 for the works but would not part out the manifolds, some people eh.

contrapezist

Post by contrapezist »

No luck here so far.
I was correct the small blocks had diffrent manifolds just like the big block and pop has been watching that popular auction site for a pair for his project. The long and short of it was about anything but truck manifolds should work B or E body. Id definatly avoid the headers theyre just a pain, cant change the plugs, always replacing gaskets and that pesky steering problem in the event of a broken engine mount.