Would a digital cluster work in a non digital car?

For all those little gadgets that make driving your car more fun and convienent. Big subs, screaming tweets? Got an amp that's on the way out? Need some recommendations? Then this is the place to ask.
GT_Indy

Re: Would a digital cluster work in a non digital car?

Post by GT_Indy »

Cam, if you decide to go through with making the digital cluster function in your car I'd be interested in seeing photos. :)

Here is a thread that has some info, but not the original post:
http://beretta.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10808

One thing I'm thinking is how to make the serial output for the cluster to read. I don't think the OBD2 ecm has that capability. However It shouldn't be too difficult to make it with a Pic18 or an arduino, I think it was a standard output.

Below are a couple photos of the 96 Beretta gauge cluster connector electrical pinnout if you decide to adapt it to your car:
20180712_163924-1.jpg
20180712_163932-1.jpg
And just in case, this is the digital cluster connector pinnout info from the book:
20180712_164652-1.jpg

Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

GT_Indy wrote:Cam, if you decide to go through with making the digital cluster function in your car I'd be interested in seeing photos. :)

Here is a thread that has some info, but not the original post:
http://beretta.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10808

One thing I'm thinking is how to make the serial output for the cluster to read. I don't think the OBD2 ecm has that capability. However It shouldn't be too difficult to make it with a Pic18 or an arduino, I think it was a standard output.

Below are a couple photos of the 96 Beretta gauge cluster connector electrical pinnout if you decide to adapt it to your car:
20180712_163924-1.jpg
20180712_163932-1.jpg
And just in case, this is the digital cluster connector pinnout info from the book:
20180712_164652-1.jpg
Thanks! You have been a big help. I got the cluster, but all the bulbs and sockets in the bottom that light it up are missing. Do you have any idea what size the bulbs and sockets are?

Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

Just an update since it has been a while.
The cluster works great. And I was able to make the speedo change values just by changing the voltage to that pin, I think.

I think I also managed to make the tach move too, but it has been a while and im not sure everything that I could make work and not. I am tempted to get the cluster back out and run more tests. I really want to put it in my Beretta, but I dont want to mod anything. So its a really tough choice.

Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

Something I just discovered is that the 00 Caviler had a digital dash that was a half moon shape like the beretta ones. Do any of you have any idea on the compatibility of the 2?

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

The '00 Cavvy cluster isn't digital -just the odometer display of it. Cavvys haven't had an actual digital cluster since around the time of the Beretta digitals. I have a couple of them (fried), and they were kind of cool, digital plasma displays but with an analog tach. I had one ready for my '90 'Retta, but toasted the cluster when I tried to rework it to fit in a Beretta's instrument housing.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

Rettax3 wrote:The '00 Cavvy cluster isn't digital -just the odometer display of it. Cavvys haven't had an actual digital cluster since around the time of the Beretta digitals. I have a couple of them (fried), and they were kind of cool, digital plasma displays but with an analog tach. I had one ready for my '90 'Retta, but toasted the cluster when I tried to rework it to fit in a Beretta's instrument housing.

Ok thanks. I really want to do the mod, but I dont want to damage anything, and it looks like a lot of stuff I would need to figure out as it doesn't seem like there is a guide on what to do. Thanks for your help!