891 Light Bulb, is there an LED option?

For all those little gadgets that make driving your car more fun and convienent. Big subs, screaming tweets? Got an amp that's on the way out? Need some recommendations? Then this is the place to ask.
GT_Indy

891 Light Bulb, is there an LED option?

Post by GT_Indy »

I'm looking into the light bulbs for the GTZ/Z26 third brake light.

I know the 891 Bulb is the replacement for the brake light, is there an LED alternative that anyone is using?

I know I can modify it with LED strips, but I'm trying to find an LED style bulb that can plug into the existing sockets.
Do we know what style base our bulbs use? Is it a G4 Base?

I was looking at this LED bulb, I'm wondering about if it will fit or be bright enough.
https://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/LEDG41 ... 20Products

The main reason I am looking is because I know the 891 Bulbs melt the housing over time, especially on a 100'F day, and I want to eventually upgrade everything to LED.

DanteGTZ

Re: 891 Light Bulb, is there an LED option?

Post by DanteGTZ »

I don't have any input but I am curious as well. Aaron and I were talking about this at Bfest but I never found out what bulb he was talking about.

I'm not sure what the factory bulb's output is but 120 lumens x 4 bulbs isn't exactly dim.

1993 Quasar Quad4 GTZ - Project WTF

Previous Berettas: 90 GT, 93 Quasar GTZ, 93 Garnet GTZ, 93 Aqua GT
GT_Indy

Re: 891 Light Bulb, is there an LED option?

Post by GT_Indy »

Yah I'm still looking when I have time, so far I didn't find anything else.
When it comes to brake lights I definitely want something bright while still keeping it from melting. People have been known to smash their cars into bright yellow poles in the middle of the day so if it helps my car get noticed so the person behind stops, I'm all for it.