Alternator issues

For all those little gadgets that make driving your car more fun and convienent. Big subs, screaming tweets? Got an amp that's on the way out? Need some recommendations? Then this is the place to ask.
Tylerlp

Alternator issues

Post by Tylerlp »

So i am having a problem with my alternator. It doesnt get the battery gauge out of the red zone at all and this alternator is brand new. The only thing is that this one is for a new 2.2 and the wiring had to be changed... now my question is, does anyone know what the 2 brown wires and the 1 red wire go to? these three wires plug into a socket on the bottom of the old alternator and on the top of the new one

Money pit Beretta

Re: Alternator issues

Post by Money pit Beretta »

bump.

keep'em flying!
SuzukiGhostRider

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

The red wire leads to the starter with a fusible link inline.

The brown or tan/white stripe goes to fuse #4 in your fuse box which is for Alternator and ABS. Takes a 10 Amp fuse.

The solid brown wire leads turns into a pink or pink/black wire that leads to fuse #9 in your fuse box which is for Gauges/Warning Indicator,Audible Warning System, Defroster, and A/C. Takes a 20 Amp fuse.

This wire is your charge indicator wire for your volt meter in the cluster. THIS will likely be the source of your issue.

So, first thing I would do is pull fuse's #4 and #9 and see if they're blown. It's a likely possibility. If they're not you'll need to trace the wires to find the break/bare spot or open.

SuzukiGhostRider

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

Diagram:

Tylerlp

Post by Tylerlp »

Thanks :) well.. I found out today that my car is out to destroy all alternators ha ha the one that's in it locked up today and snapped my belt

Pathogen

Post by Pathogen »

When i bought my Beretta, i kept losing power and the car kept dying. 2 weeks later and 300 bucks shorter in the bank, it turns out the guy who wired the aftermarket stereo did it wrong, in turn, kept blowing out the fusible link, which blew the alternator out and was draining the battery until the cells in the battery were shot. Yeah, NOT fun. I think i had to tow the bloody thing home 3-4 times

Uploaded with ImageShack.us