cd's or mp3's?

For all those little gadgets that make driving your car more fun and convienent. Big subs, screaming tweets? Got an amp that's on the way out? Need some recommendations? Then this is the place to ask.
themadness

cd's or mp3's?

Post by themadness »

which do you guys prefer?

i have a 4 inch touchscreen mp3/mp4 video player but the old school in me tends to want to use cd's these days

DTMAce

Re: cd's or mp3's?

Post by DTMAce »

Personally, CD's annoy me anymore.

The base has a CD only style of player (no MP3 support at all, or aux in jack), so have been dealing. Time for an upgrade.

The Z has a Sony BT unit, can operate iPods, has a USB and an aux jack (2 actually) and supports MP3 CD playback as well. The music I played at the last fest was off of an MP3 CD.
Typically I just play music in that car off of an 8GB mini USB module. Gotta love it. And can take phone calls with it too.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

sp33d1nc0rs1ca

Post by sp33d1nc0rs1ca »

the old school in me says "dub some cassettes!" lol. jk. anyway plain and simple. cd's get scratched and busted up. mp3 and others like ipod, aux input, sd card, etc. are a WIN!

-Alan
SP33D1N
CORSITECH
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

sp33d1nc0rs1ca wrote:the old school in me says "dub some cassettes!" lol. jk. anyway plain and simple. cd's get scratched and busted up. mp3 and others like ipod, aux input, sd card, etc. are a WIN!

LOL

Yeah, been there done that. I remember having the Z when it was new, and using a tape adapter to play CD's from a portable in the OEM radio. LOL Talk about lame. Funny story, I had that stock radio in the car for.... Maybe 4 years before upgrading it the first time. Its now on its 3rd aftermarket unit. The last one I sold on ebay, the one before that died a horrible death. I took a hammer to it cause it pissed me off. It was an Optimus (Radio Shack labeled Pioneer) HU. Then it was an generic brand that was sorta ok, now the Sony. Still have the original stock unit on a shelf though. There are days when I miss the tapes... Well not really but there are days when I think about them anyway. LOL

Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

sp33d1nc0rs1ca

Post by sp33d1nc0rs1ca »

DTMAce wrote:
sp33d1nc0rs1ca wrote:the old school in me says "dub some cassettes!" lol. jk. anyway plain and simple. cd's get scratched and busted up. mp3 and others like ipod, aux input, sd card, etc. are a WIN!

LOL

Yeah, been there done that. I remember having the Z when it was new, and using a tape adapter to play CD's from a portable in the OEM radio. LOL Talk about lame. Funny story, I had that stock radio in the car for.... Maybe 4 years before upgrading it the first time. Its now on its 3rd aftermarket unit. The last one I sold on ebay, the one before that died a horrible death. I took a hammer to it cause it pissed me off. It was an Optimus (Radio Shack labeled Pioneer) HU. Then it was an generic brand that was sorta ok, now the Sony. Still have the original stock unit on a shelf though. There are days when I miss the tapes... Well not really but there are days when I think about them anyway. LOL
Hell Yeah!! when i first got the Corsica i used the adapter to my blackberry for satellite radio. With the every once in a while classic rock cassette. i kept mine around too. you know just in case i get the cassette itch. lol. Not.

-Alan
SP33D1N
CORSITECH
spacecadetz26

Post by spacecadetz26 »

I still use the factory cassette player in my tahoe with the aux tape to plug it into my ipod. its almost too easy lol.

Steph
94 Camaro B4C Special Service Package
scannerman

Post by scannerman »

My factory radio has USB which i leave my old 30gb ipod video connected to it for tunes. Also has an aux input and will do mp3 cds as well as XM.

Anyone else ever try XM and think the audio quality is about the same as a cell phone voice conversation. I couldn't imagine paying monthly unless it was maybe for listening to sports.

In my beretta i used to us MP3 cd's and i had a ipod dock that let my head unit control the ipod.

2009 Cobalt SS LNF
1995 Z26 3100 auto <--- Totalled
1989 base 2.8 auto <-- Sold
ErichZ26

Post by ErichZ26 »

spacecadetz26 wrote:I still use the factory cassette player in my tahoe with the aux tape to plug it into my ipod. its almost too easy lol.
Must be nice to have an Ipod. I bet it is the ipod touch 8gb.

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26
yellow3800

Post by yellow3800 »

As an audiophile, I will stand by the fact that cd quality is way higher than any mp3. If not, why can REAL cd's only fit 70-80min of audio on a disk? Think about it. The mp3 craze should have forced the CD makers to say "well, we should stop holding out on them and put more audio time on here." well, they can't and thats why they haven't. Don't believe me? talk to any audio shop worth their salt. They are forced to sell head units compatible with mp3 simply because of demand.

Stick with real cds for the best quality.

now fighting my own argument:

I use my aux input for my mp3 player. I listen to mp3s and if I like them, I burn a cd or order the real one[s] unless its a podcast I'm listening to [#1 use of my mp3 player mind you]. my fav. audio never gets burned mp3s, I just buy the used cd. I'm cheap! I buy used cds!

There is a reason you grab a real cd when setting your gain levels when you lack an audio level setting disc.

Andy
Lemon <---tri-amp stereo system, active x-over, 6 speakers, no coaxials. custom kick panels and sub boxes.

spacecadetz26

Post by spacecadetz26 »

ErichZ26 wrote:
spacecadetz26 wrote:I still use the factory cassette player in my tahoe with the aux tape to plug it into my ipod. its almost too easy lol.
Must be nice to have an Ipod. I bet it is the ipod touch 8gb.
Yep its nice to have an Ipod... I bet your writing this post from a nice Herman Miller office chair. Or probably was nice. O:-)

Steph
94 Camaro B4C Special Service Package
ErichZ26

Post by ErichZ26 »

Chair is in my office at work. You still have my 2 Keith Haring pictures. Would be nice to get the other 2 back.

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

yellow3800 wrote:As an audiophile, I will stand by the fact that cd quality is way higher than any mp3. If not, why can REAL cd's only fit 70-80min of audio on a disk? Think about it. The mp3 craze should have forced the CD makers to say "well, we should stop holding out on them and put more audio time on here." well, they can't and thats why they haven't. Don't believe me? talk to any audio shop worth their salt. They are forced to sell head units compatible with mp3 simply because of demand.

I use my aux input for my mp3 player. I listen to mp3s and if I like them, I burn a cd or order the real one[s] unless its a podcast I'm listening to [#1 use of my mp3 player mind you]. my fav. audio never gets burned mp3s, I just buy the used cd. I'm cheap! I buy used cds!

There is a reason you grab a real cd when setting your gain levels when you lack an audio level setting disc.

Andy
Lemon <---tri-amp stereo system, active x-over, 6 speakers, no coaxials. custom kick panels and sub boxes.
With regards to quality, 99.9 percent of humans that listen to music would not be able to identify the difference, between them. I remember with the MP3 codec first hit the market back in the days of 95. You actually had to install the codec to play them, and the quality was pretty bad.

These days the quality is pretty awesome, the sizes of the MP3's are now pretty large, so while they are not the size of standard CD audio format, the quality is damn near perfect in comparison. Used to be 10:1 compression ratio back in the day, is now around 5-7:1.

Chad91GTZ

Post by Chad91GTZ »

yellow3800 wrote:As an audiophile, I will stand by the fact that cd quality is way higher than any mp3. If not, why can REAL cd's only fit 70-80min of audio on a disk? Think about it. The mp3 craze should have forced the CD makers to say "well, we should stop holding out on them and put more audio time on here." well, they can't and thats why they haven't. Don't believe me? talk to any audio shop worth their salt. They are forced to sell head units compatible with mp3 simply because of demand.

Andy

Using a lossless format such as OGG there is no loss of qauality that is perceivable over cda format which is what the files start as. The reason for the size of cda format files is because it the algorithm used to encode it is 30 years old. Not because its better.

My Motortopia

Bfest Committee 2012, 2013, 2014
Bfest AND Bust 2012 Winner: First ever clutch swap at Berettafest!
Bfest 2013 Watermelon Award: Boob shaped hood dents FTW