oem tape player vs no tape....same wattage?

For all those little gadgets that make driving your car more fun and convienent. Big subs, screaming tweets? Got an amp that's on the way out? Need some recommendations? Then this is the place to ask.
themadness

oem tape player vs no tape....same wattage?

Post by themadness »

do the factory tape decks and the ones with out the tape deck have the same output? might be a dumb question but a donor stereo/dash dvd player was shot. i can run down a factory tape deck from a guy i know for free. if the cassette player puts out a little better then i'm going to grab it.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: oem tape player vs no tape....same wattage?

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I doubt its any more... they are probably all the same stereo components and just had the additional tape deck.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I doubt its any more... they are probably all the same stereo components and just had the additional tape deck.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Yeah the wattage output of the radios for the same generation are going to be fairly equal to each other. So you shouldn't see a loss or a gain. With the exception of those that included an equalizer, those often seemed better, but they still have the same general wattage output. There are some less common high fidelity units found in cars like Cads or Vetts, if you can find one that fits! lol

But as I said for most, wattage levels would remain fairly equal of those units built from the same generation. Those of different gens, (older vs newer styles) may have some differences that can be noticed, some better, some worse.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

themadness

Post by themadness »

the HU sounds good on its own but sucks when i try to play mp3 through the player or with my tablet. the games on the tablet sound awesome and the mp3s were ripped from cd's. they sound fine and dont have balance issues in my wifes honda. is the HU struggling to carry the signal of the fm transmitter?

DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Possibly. Two issues with radio based add-ons, one being antenna style and location, the second being the volume of the device hooked to the radio transmitter. Too high or too low and it will not work with a damn. You also need to make sure the output is un-altered by things like bass boost, or EQ settings on the device. You may need to turn off any enhancements.set the EQ to flat for best results. You have to find a balance of volume and location to make the signal clear for the radio.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

themadness

Post by themadness »

the jimmy of it is this.....

-with the mp3's playing on the player or tablet the passenger side speakers are barely audible to almost silent
- the tablet apps like angry birds sound absolutely fantastic. i sat in the car for about 10 mins playing AB seasons(sad i know)
-pandora radio(tablet) sounded good but only the rear passenger speaker wasnt working. there was a little distortion in the front speaker which is new but i had it kind of loud. other than that it sounded normal.

question:
-would a "blown" 6X9 speaker effect both the front and rear on the same side? the back speaker may have a short or something b/c it's quality comes and goes when using just the radio

just trying to narrow down whether i need a new head unit or replace the speakers. i really dont want to do either

thanks for the troubleshooting help