Anyone here ra ce a starquest?

Kept for archival purposes only
Z26er

Post by Z26er »

hey i was wondering if anyone on this board has raced a starion/conquest.  and either A how well they stomped them, or B how bad they got stomped.

if anything i'll hopefully have my starquest off the downtime by end of today, or tomorrow and will be up around story city to pick up a friend around friday,  and probably drop him back off that same day.  and since story city is close to ames, maybe i'll get to meet some ames residents?

Boost is addictive, more boost is more addictive
90 TSI FWD: will get fixed someday.. maybe..
86 conquest TSi: The new toy,  boosted RWD is fun.. till you snap lug nut studs although no 1st gear kinda SUCKS!
95 Beretta Z26: i don't think i'll ever get rid of this thing, i've tried already.
payback

Post by payback »

depends on what mods you got, ive heard stories about those conquest tsi's i guess they can be rediculous fast.

'96Z26:Eibach springs, KYB struts, GM Strut brace, K&N cone
Ribz80

Post by Ribz80 »

Stock they arent much,likely within the range of a stock GTZ or 3400 auto.  

Modded is a whole different story

91' GT  SOLD
99' Saab Viggen Stg-4 315hp- in European Car Magazine  7/2006
Z26er

Post by Z26er »

well as fate would have it.. it's back on downtime LOL, broke the chain that drives the oil pump and the balance shafts in the thing about a mile from home. so, now i get to push it into the garage and dissassemble it and probably replace connectign rods, crankshaft, rings, and bearings.

So far, only mods i have are a manual boost controller on a 4G63  big 16G turbocharger and a K&N drop in cone filter off my talon.. which actually surprisingly fit, although since now i have an excuse to get nice parts, like wiseco slugs, and stuff..

other then that i have no idea what was done to it before, although i'm guessing trhat the previous owner installed an aftermarket fuel pump cause this thing is dumping enough fuel to shoot fireballs out the exhuast when i let off it.

still want to meet some of the ames beretta owners..  i'll bring this topic back from the dead when i get it back up and running

86 conquest TSi: The new toy,  boosted RWD is fun.. till you snap lug nut studs although no 1st gear kinda SUCKS!
95 Beretta Z26: i don't think i'll ever get rid of this thing, i've tried already.
rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

Perhaps it is dumping fuel because it is a MAF system with a blowoff valve venting to the atmosphere....

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Z26er

Post by Z26er »

um, i unhooked the maf, sicne it was dumping even more fuel with it hooked up.
nice thign about 86 year conquests,  you can unhook the maf, and it will either run better, worse,  or the same.. mine ran better.

Z26er

Post by Z26er »

Well, i said i'd bring it back from the dead when i had it running, but as is, not the case yet.  tomorrow i pull the talon ( 4SALE BTW!!!!) out of the garage and pull in the conquest, to pull the motor and set it up on the engine stand.

in july i should be gettign enough funding for a non jet valve cylinder head ( performance model) as well as rebuild the engine, and also enough to do a MPI/.DIS conversion, using the megasquirt 2 EMS.  i know, little much for the turbo i got, but i'll probably be upgrading that as well.  wish me luck all!

Post by Guest »

a friend of mine here as a TSI version hes making 345WHP thing is a monster its running 14lbs of boost so i hear.

Z26er

Post by Z26er »

well.. the quest is still on downtime.. been gettign WAY too much on my plate as of recent. and witht he hours i work.. findign freetime is damn near impossible.

The old man got a 78 camaro i'm helping him restore..( there's 1 thing) i'm trying to open up my own business in auto aftermarket, like turbochargers sheet metal intakes and all that fun stuff. ( there's 2)  and trying to do it all while working nightshift 10-12 hours everyday cept friday and the weekend ( there's 3)

so yeah.. i'm a little sleep deprived, slightly insane, and stressed and bills don't help anythign either as harvest season wrecked havoc on my upper respritory system.

rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

Welcome to being an adult.  

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

beretta taimer

Post by beretta taimer »

any one picked on a v6 stang

QuasarBlueGTZq4

Post by QuasarBlueGTZq4 »

I found this topic by chance, so I figured I'd post up my experience(see my sig).

Stock for stock, A Quad 4 GTZ and an 88-89 Conquest/Starion would be a pretty good match up.

Horsepower wise, you are looking at 188hp and 234lb.ft of torque from the StarQuest, but it also can tip the scales at just under 3100lbs for an SHP model.

The problem is, finding a stock StarQuest is about as easy as picking the winning lottery numbers. The StarQuest has the turbo advantage, which means adding an exhaust system can actually equate to 40 more RWHP. The small turbo in the StarQuest gives you roughly 6hp per psi, and most owners end up running about 5 more psi than stock.

It's not uncommon to run across a StarQuest running ~16psi, full 3" exhaust, hard pipes and intake mods on an otherwise fully stock TBI, head and block, that can put out 250rwhp.

Once the owner goes MPFI, then power numbers tend to jump over 300rwhp, and that's where the fun begins, as it becomes time for a new turbo.

They aren't a suitable drag car though, as the suspension is more suited to SCCA style road race, and with the low profile rear tires, traction is hard to gain on a launch, even with the standard LSD. I was able to burn the tires off through the 1/8th mile on my way to a modest 14.2 quarter mile. If I could of had traction, that number would of been well into the 13's, and that was with simple mods(exhaust, intake, hardpipes, EBC, alcohol/water injection, running at 16psi.)

Jack
86 Porsche 951 - Lindsey 3" exhaust, Lindsey MAF, Lindsey chips, ProfecB boost control.
83 Porsche 944 - Stock, converted to 951 look.
02 Nissan Altima SE 3.5
00 Ducati Monster 900i.e.

Past cars:
92 Beretta GTZ - Quasar Blue
88 Conquest TSi - Fiji blue SHP
98 Grand Prix GTP
Mike Morris

Post by Mike Morris »

I always liked those cars.  They looked tough back in the day.  Nickname was Celica GTS on steroids.
I couldn't believe mags could only get 16s in the 1/4 mile with them.  My best time in one was 15.7s and I bogged it.  
Neat car.

www.mk3.us/mike
2006 Z06 Corvette
1992 Mustang 5.0 blown stroked and intercooled
1988 Supra Turbo 512 RWHP
1988 MR2 SC-restored
1983 Corolla SR5 hatchback restored

1990 MINT GTZ now upgraded to W41 specs.  Garaged all its life....