Well I FINALLY broke it!

Need some setup advice, have some stories? For organized racing stories only! No street racing here!
beretta bitch

Re: Well I FINALLY broke it!

Post by beretta bitch »

3400beretta wrote:I didn't even think to tape it.. pisses me off. I'll post some time slips on the weekend when I'm back home though..

That's what you get when you guys go racing without me...NO VIDEO...lol.

Congrats Rodney...sorry I missed it.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Congrats! Took you long enough to break it! haha

I'm sure it will end up being better than it was anyway. Going to go with some Driveshaft Shop axles?

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

Nope!

It was the situation that broke it, not the parts.

I am of the opinion it would have broken damn near any axle with what happened.

Basically it free-wheeled to the shift light, I let off to zero, it grabbed, and SNAP!

Axles shouldn't break on these cars if everything is aligned correctly, but I suppose you can only expect so much.

This was not as much a part failure as a failure of a part that had no chance given what happened.

But it'll be fixed in a couple of days.

HELL Rodney just ran mid 12's at 118 on stock axles with a 5-speed. I certainly don't need $700+ worth of axles!!

:beer:

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
IsaacHayes

Post by IsaacHayes »

Stock axles are stronger than aftermarket, just keep that in mind.

Rodney, we want video because we want to be entertained!!! I heard something about your 3500 breaking, was that not true?

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
3400beretta

Post by 3400beretta »

Yes its true.. new engine is in already. The old engine was hurt, it overheated a couple times, and had low (125psi) compression in 1 cylinder. Plus I had an ignition related issue, it would sputter and backfire under load - at first just WOT, but then it got worse. It took me awhile to figure out what the problem was, it turned out to be a bad ignition module. I suspected the ignition module right off the bat, and swapped it with my spare, but the car did the exact same thing. So I figured it was something else - it wasn't till I tried the one from my grand am, that the problem went away, so I guess I had 2 bad ignition modules, which I find very strange.

Anyways, that sputtering/backfiring is what did the engine in, I was at the track, and I didn't let off the gas when it started doing it, mostly because I was frustrated, and I knew the engine was junk/coming out anyways. So lesson learned - fucked up ignition timing + 14 PSI = multiple connecting rod failures!

IsaacHayes

Post by IsaacHayes »

Broke or bent rods? That's at least different from the usual melted/shattered pistons!

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

You can take out 2 pistons and a rod and a block with 1 single hose clamp screw. Why play with turbos?

Good thing is that flying crap from inside the motor didnt take out the turbo... that woulda sucked!

3400beretta

Post by 3400beretta »

No, they were MIA. I should have taken pics I guess.. A few (very) small pieces of one connecting rod were in the oil pan, and the big end of one connecting rod was attached to the crank still. Both pistons (5 & 6) were just up in the cylinders with NOTHING attached to them. Some how the other connecting rod removed itself from the crank journal, and also removed a counterweight from this FORGED crank. I had 3 holes in the oil pan, 2 bigger than my fist, the 3rd was right behind my starter, which a piece of connecting rod so kindly cracked my mini starter. The block was cracked on both sides, near cylinders 5 & 6. However, the tops of all the pistons were perfect still, no nicks, hot spots or otherwise evidence of detonation.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

3400beretta wrote:No, they were MIA. I should have taken pics I guess.. A few (very) small pieces of one connecting rod were in the oil pan, and the big end of one connecting rod was attached to the crank still. Both pistons (5 & 6) were just up in the cylinders with NOTHING attached to them. Some how the other connecting rod removed itself from the crank journal, and also removed a counterweight from this FORGED crank. I had 3 holes in the oil pan, 2 bigger than my fist, the 3rd was right behind my starter, which a piece of connecting rod so kindly cracked my mini starter. The block was cracked on both sides, near cylinders 5 & 6. However, the tops of all the pistons were perfect still, no nicks, hot spots or otherwise evidence of detonation.
Nice carnage...

I have a piston on my PC from one of our last rules motors that we ran at Thompson Speedway... The wrist pin pulled right out the bottom of the piston and the rod made its way around the block destroying everything in in its path, yet the piston was just sitting there at the top of the bore. I removed the piston from the hole in the side of the block, that's how bad it was... LOL

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3400beretta

Post by 3400beretta »

Here ya go.. on the left (9037)

On the 12.52 slip, the guy in the right lane was a magnum with quite a bit of work done to his car.. needless to say, he was pretty pissed off.. haha.
Attachments
IMG_0254.jpg

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Man is that fast! Yeah I bet he about craped him self in anger. :good:

keep'em flying!
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

I was there, and the guy in the Magnun (nice car with a few mods!) is STILL trying to figure out what the hell that was all about. LOL!! :shock:

Rodney's car is scary!

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.