The Old Man is going Turbo! NOT!!

Need some setup advice, have some stories? For organized racing stories only! No street racing here!
Cliff8928
Administrator

Re: The Old Man is going Turbo!

Post by Cliff8928 »

asylum wrote:
The parts buying starts NOW!! :Bravo:

Here, you need help??

http://www.mpracing.org/store/index.php ... ductId=428

Cliff Scott
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

Ok, sorry , I did'nt read the whole thing yet but, A few months ago I got into an accident in my 02' monte, 3400. Insuranse covered a rental, so I endend up w/ an 08' G6 GT sedan. It had the 3500 in it and I was'nt impressed at all. I innatally figured it'd be pretty fast, small car , light, pretty big V6, but I would take my bigger Monte' w/ a 3400' over that thing any day. I've never experinced a 3400' Beretta, so maybe I would'nt know but, my question is whats better 34 or 3500' for the beretta?. This would be some useful info, seeing as i have a beretta and a 3400 w/ 60k on it, so what would be better for a swap? That or should I go and try to find a 3500'?
Any way good luck w/ yours.

1994 AQUA ZED
3400beretta

Post by 3400beretta »

LOL, this should be fun. I will give you my build checklist when I get back to bowmanville so you can start collecting the parts you need. Some things I got really cheap, like the ls1 fuel pump from ebay for $30, and my injectors, which if you don't search around for a deal could easily blow your budget. However, I think this should be doable for ~ $3000.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

hahaha sweet. I've always toyed around with the idea of boost... but I'm a real sucker for a high-compression engine that doesnt like to idle... they sound so bad ass and still get along well with nitrous. haha

Your car will make a good sleeper though. Think about it: an old Beretta GT that idles like stock... people will be clueless. Then when you pull away and they hear the BOV they'll be impressed.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
IsaacHayes

Post by IsaacHayes »

That poor 3T40!!! I think you should drop to a stock FDR.

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Its a auto so you will only hear the bov when you let off, but it will still be sick.

You may of said it already, but are you going to stretch the FDR some? You can powerbrake it and boost right off the line for a rediculus launch if you can get it to hook up. Autos do have there advantages with boost...

MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

and this old man better be putting this in ol blue as that car deserves to go faster after all she has been through. i hope one of these days i can build a high compression motor to run 12's in my beretta but family and house has taken up any source of income to accomplish that rite now unless i find a better paying job

Red_Bra_Black_GTZ

Post by Red_Bra_Black_GTZ »

just read the complete thread, have fun, go for it..enjoy your retta..

btw, i was there when you told pinky to get of the bottle.. N/A was the only way to go.. i understand you have your reasons for this beautiful mod..

Asylum

Post by Asylum »

The 3t40 will be just fine.

Billy builds them tough. And leaving at idle will delay the boost long enough for the tires to have a chance, LOL!

6200 RPM with 3.73 and 24" tire is ~116 mph. I'm not looking to go that fast.

13.0's -13.20 @ ~110 is enough to beat most of you guys! :evil:

It'll be just fine!! :Yahoo!:

:beer:

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
3400beretta

Post by 3400beretta »

I really think you're making a huge mistake by keeping the 3.73's. This thing is not going to get any traction. Even if you don't have boost off the line, its going to kick in and break the tires loose. If I had a choice in my gearing, I'd be runing something numerically way lower. You should be concentrating on prehaps even the lowest gear ratio you can get, and leaving the line WITH boost, by loading the converter. This will not only make the car more consistent, but you will leave the line hella quick.

IsaacHayes

Post by IsaacHayes »

Yup you don't realize the huge increase in power with boost you will get. We are talking close to 400 crank HP with not a whole lot of boost at all to do that. I don't know how much you plan on running, but if it's 9-11psi, you are going to roast those tires even with a stock FDR auto....

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

You always make fun of me for the nitrous, but now your getting a snail... same pricipal, but yes you have that "power" 24x7 I know... Since thats the argument everyone has when I say they are the same idea.

The only bad thing about my car is starting it when its 30* out... its not too happy, you just need to start it and walk away for 2 min, it surges for a few till it figures it all out then its fine after that. The issue is I probably just dont have the idle set high enough, OR the billet TB has trouble controlling the idle with how the IAC is machined in it... I'm not sure.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

i know i would like to see a auto beretta run like superdaves if you can build it rite w/o a snail

Asylum

Post by Asylum »

Well I haven't ordered any parts yet and I'm still weighing the options.

Rodney's car is pretty impressive, and he already has the tune.

:beer:

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Yes it is impressive, but as I have always noted and really what keeps me away from a turbo and supercharger is the fact that there is that power there all the time... I have a decent amount of power now to keep me relatively happy, but also keep me out of trouble, and lessen abuse to the drive-line. If your building it for a track only application, have a blast... But I'm not so sure about something that I would like to drive on a on off basis during the summer... It would cost me WAY too much money to build it bulletproof so I would never have to worry about the bottom end wearing out and such.

Stock parts can handle it but its only a matter of time before they let go... Hell you saw what Barry did to a N/A 3500, that piston and rod were GONE... and that's exactly what non forged parts do, they just disappear.

A 3k budget may be a bit tight to keep this thing in on piece for the duration of abuse this first drive-line saw.

Oh and trust me, I've been looking at Rotrex blowers, copying the RSM style kit, and all that wonderful stuff, but since I just don't have the money to throw at it right now, I'm sticking to the laughing gas. Until I have the money to do it right I'm going to just wait.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"