How about a Tutorial Section?

Submit your suggestions for our board. Talk to moderators about issues or posts
zcylex

Post by zcylex »

Hey guys(specially mods and admins :))

i was thinking, as on most sites, there should be a tutorial/how to subforum or section for the most relevant tutorials... as most threads (specially on the technical info forum) are "how do i do -insert operation here-? and every replies with a few suggestions but on most cases the answer is: "someone else had this problem, i don't know how he fixed it but look for it".
ie: neon disc swap, most "noobs" like me would go straight to "suspension and brakes" 10 seconds later after NOT seeing "3x00-modified"'s thread about his neon swap, go to new topic, and ask the same question over and over..

i dunno if im clear enough lol

also remaking or re-posting most tutorials would be great specially if you create that section(which would be entirely for answers and not questions)

discuss,
thanks!

1988 Beretta GT 2.8L V6 - Yeah my Retta is a year older than me! :)
Work in Progress
Styluss
Global Moderator

Re: How about a Tutorial Section?

Post by Styluss »

I believe that this has been discussed in the past. It ties in with a project I have left stagnant for like 4 years now. I would love to have a How To section on here and I believe I have the basis for it in the works. I will need to talk to the Webmaster concerning how to best make it "flow" inside the forums. It may need to be its own set of web pages in order to function properly.

1989 GTU - The Nice Car
1989 GTU Mock - The Neglected Car
1989 Base Model - The Rally Car
zcylex

Post by zcylex »

well i've managed a few forums in the past, and i dont think it would be so hard to add a new subforum in the technical information section. then just add a few threads involving tutorials and guides, however if you want to add the tutorials to the main page (just like v6z24 site) then it would require atleast a complete revamp of the main site...

the thing is we(all of us beretta and non beretta owners) have to help make this site better and more attractive for the newcomers, myself included. most of us newcomers get confused as to what to do when we get to the site.

just my 2 cents :D

Work in Progress
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

We maintain the users and posts on the site, we do not have the ability to manage the look, feel, appearance, or even sections of this forum, so as Ryan said he would have to run this by the webmaster to have anything done.

And quite honestly my 0.02... You say you would give up on the neon brake search in under 10 seconds... How will that change anything when the tutorial section does not list the exact thing your looking for on page one? Someone would start a thread requesting a tutorial write up because they didn't use the search function.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
zcylex

Post by zcylex »

lol 3x00 i am NOT criticizing your work or any other admin/mod, i was just suggesting. and by the way you dont honestly believe the site is going to have 35+ pages of tutorial threads. if not a sticky roll up thread on most sections of the best tutorials about anything we use etc.

and about the search function im comfortable with using it and if not i use google with the "site:beretta.net" tag... however some of us use the forum from tapatalk and what not try searching from there and youll get "no results" everytime..but thats not what im discussing here..

AGAIN i am not being a troll or messing with anyone here and i admire most of you guys specially you who have been very helpfull and patient with me i am just suggesting something that would benefit us all! not just noobs.

Work in Progress
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I was simply stating that we as mods can not make this change. I also think that users relying on tapatalk will always be a limitation unless this forum is 100% mobile friendly which I don't see it going that way anytime soon.

If the search on tapatalk does't work like it does on a desktop PC then I think that is a bit more of a reasonable fix to have happen rather than attempt a full re-organize right now.

I'm sorry if I sound negative towards the idea, I'm not stating it's a bad idea but I just don't see things changed on here often or quickly... as well as once a change is enacted it typically gets overlooked or unfortunately ends up doing no good because of the way some of the users want to use the forum as if it's facebook.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Styluss
Global Moderator

Post by Styluss »

Well, the idea I have going on would be better utilized as an actual website with links and numerous pages of information per mod write up. Let me get it together (someday) and you'll see.

1989 GTU - The Nice Car
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I have the ability to add "posts" to the main website but I don't have control over the way the menu looks on right side... It organizes it by main article and sub articles... and that's about it...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
zcylex

Post by zcylex »

Well i was just suggesting creating a new sub-forum, and to rebuild most of tutorials which either have broken images or strange characters mixed from the forum platform's swaps.. Sorry i didn't think it was so hard for you guys i didn't know you didn't have any administrative privileges, and I'm not looking for the board to be more like Facebook in fact quite the opposite, i want it to be more attractive (in a good way) so people get more attached to the forum and not only the facebook group...

Too bad then well have to wait to see what styluss has in store hehehe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Work in Progress
Styluss
Global Moderator

Post by Styluss »

Zcylex, again... there is only so much we can do with "rebuilding" current write ups. Any dead links or photos only the original poster has the knowledge to fix. We understand exactly what you're proposing and yeah, only one person (Webmaster) has the capability to do that for us. However what I have up my sleeve will be bigger and better than a simple tutorial section. Thanks for the idea though! NEVER hesitate to tell us how we could improve!

1989 GTU - The Nice Car