Page 1 of 1

Bringing car across border

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:23 pm
by rjc333
Just wondering how difficult would it be to bring a U.S. purchased (used) vehicle into Canada.  I know there are some duty fees to be paid, but what exactly is the process involved?

Bringing car across border

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:04 pm
by Shadyman
Don't even get me started about importing cars. such a PITA...

First: You have to get a waiver from a dealership in the US saying it has had all the recall work done, and you have to give the title to the US side of customs at least 48 hours/1 week before you go to get the car so they can background check it. You then have to take the car to the US side before it leaves the country so it can be inspected, and they give you your title back.

Then you go to the canadian side and pay them the $2-300 for importing, plus ontario registration and licensing, and then you have to have it pass ontario safety (canadian cluster, etc) within 30 days or they deport it on your dollar.

It's a long, complicated process, and I say don't even bother. I wasted a day of driving and $300+ trying to do it.  :down

Bringing car across border

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:42 pm
by ettore
Easy peasy.  I did my Z26 and it cost me $275 ... I wish I could remember what it's called.  It starts with an R ... it has to get re-safetied here anyways.

You need to contact someone that does the crap ... we have a place here (Windsor) called 401Mack that does it.

Bringing car across border

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:30 pm
by Asylum
Some One PIN this please!

It's dead nuts EASY.
You must have a Bill fo Sale for the car, and the Title from the State it came from.
You arrive at Canada Customs and the car is entered into the Registrar of Import Vehicles Program (RIV)
You pay $182.00 and then have 45 days to get the car Safetied and e-tested (If applicable) in order for the Province to issue a registration.

I have done it several times and it's no sweat at all.

Bringing car across border

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:30 pm
by rjc333
So you mean you can just pull up to the border and they'll take care of it right there?  I figured for sure you'd have to notify them first or something.....