The Z26 you all wanted to see

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
woody90gtz

Re: The Z26 you all wanted to see

Postby woody90gtz » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:42 pm

It's a huge flaw with these car the way they rust. How do the door jambs look?

You could add the needed structure back in more easily if you're not worried about the underside looking factory. I did some brainstorming back then about reinforced rockers and "subframe" connectors. Structural foam also piqued my interest, but there weren't many good options. Maybe that's changed in the last 10 years. That car looks so clean that it's worth thinking about non-traditional repairs to save it.

91 "SS" WOT 3400/5spd - EP, FFP, TCE, SPEC, DSS, S&S, OBD1 GEARHEAD dezign

Cam2363

Postby Cam2363 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:46 am

woody90gtz wrote:It's a huge flaw with these car the way they rust. How do the door jambs look?

You could add the needed structure back in more easily if you're not worried about the underside looking factory. I did some brainstorming back then about reinforced rockers and "subframe" connectors. Structural foam also piqued my interest, but there weren't many good options. Maybe that's changed in the last 10 years. That car looks so clean that it's worth thinking about non-traditional repairs to save it.

There is none. Firewall doesnt leak either. That Rot hole us the only problem with it. I was thinking about cutting the bad parts out, welding a sideways piece of square tubing on each side to have a flat surface and then welding a piece of square tubing between. the gap. I figured that would give a strong support while killing the cancer

Cam2363

Postby Cam2363 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:27 pm

So I was trying some evapo rust just spraying it on it but I realized that's a waste and it's never gonna work. But I do know of some of that jelly rust remover stuff that would do a lot better with staying In place, so I bought some and I plan to spread it in that area until most of the rust is killed. Then probably use some silicone or rtv and rivet a panel of sheet metal there to atleast cover the hole and prevent liquid from just flying up there. It's not a great solution. But it's the best I have to try and slow down the rot. I also plan to sand around the area more to see how far it goes and clean if off and paint it. I have more pictures too. The hole Is about 8 inches long. So not good

20190207_162423.jpg

woody90gtz

Postby woody90gtz » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:55 am

Here are some pictures I have from my old car. Mine didn't look nearly as bad until I used a screwdriver to punch through the brittle stuff. I had thought about running .120 wall square tubing as new rockers for strength, but the door jamb was so bad I decided against it. Shine a flashlight up that rot hole and see if the inner door jamb is screwed. That one goes before the visible door jamb.

Rust chemicals won't cut it for anything other than surface rust...that rocker structure is already gone. The rot needs to be cut out and replaced with some kind of structure.

91 "SS" WOT 3400/5spd - EP, FFP, TCE, SPEC, DSS, S&S, OBD1 GEARHEAD dezign

Cam2363

Postby Cam2363 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:21 am

Thanks. I dont really have the skill or the time to do this unfortunately, so I'm just going to try this to slow it down and have it fixed when I have the time and money.

ifixalot

Postby ifixalot » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:52 am

I'd look into fixing the rusted brake lines ASAP.

Cam2363

Postby Cam2363 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:41 pm

ifixalot wrote:I'd look into fixing the rusted brake lines ASAP.

How hard is that and how much would that cost? It seems like something that's a pain and wont be cheap. I wanted to get the LIMG first before I do that. But I plan to do them soon.

Return to “Members Rides”