1994 3500 6 Speed ZR6

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: The trip into the "big leagues"update pg 12! 6spd swap d

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I would need a log to determine the idle issue unfortunately to see if the IAC is open causing the high idle or if it's something else causing it. Idle for yours is not set that high and you also have the switch enabled for a manual trans so that should eliminate the idle up issue that others had when just putting a 5-speed on an existing auto ECU and not changing anything.

I think Geoff's ecu is tuned the same way but I'd have to check that again.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

You can compare; I've had some hanging issues when shifting when it's cold. It doesn't usually do it once it's warmed up, that I can remember, but either way we can look at it in a few weeks if you want.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

You can also log onto 60degreev6.com and go to this page. (you can access it without an account too)

http://60degreev6.com/content.php/145-C ... and-Tuning

And scroll down you'll see the DHP 1.2.4 software and the DB update as well. Download this stuff to your laptop you plan on using for tuning and maybe I can talk you through setting it up.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
SummitBalt08

Post by SummitBalt08 »

I just picked up a new laptop for tuning.. I will get that downloaded soon.

I have been "daily driving" it for the most part...

Yesterday sitting idle at a red light it started "chugging" and it wouldn't start... It did the same type of thing like with the old ecm seems like a MAF reading wrong or something... Anyways.. I kept trying to start it and give it gas and after 4 or 5 tries it finally revved up a bit and ran fine after that. Didn't have any other problems.

Then today.. after a cold start I started easily leaving .. got down the alley fine.. then when I got part way down the road it started its chugging type thing again. It took basically the same procedure to get it running again as when it did it yesterday.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by SummitBalt08 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Shawn
Been on the Beretta Forums since '04
94 Black Quad 5 spd Z26 ->3500 6 spd ZR6

Bfests '11,'12,'14
July 2012 Bnet Calendar
SummitBalt08

Post by SummitBalt08 »

I got the laptop, downloaded that stuff and threw a decal on it so its ready to go lol

Last edited by SummitBalt08 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Shawn

Bfests '11,'12,'14
July 2012 Bnet Calendar
SummitBalt08

Post by SummitBalt08 »

Took it on a nice cruise on some country roads today.. found this spot to take some pics, turned out decent I think

It drove beautiful with no issues. Plenty of power even at highway speeds.. get to thinking about something then suddenly you are going 70-80 mph before you know it.

Gearing around 60-70 mph is kind of disappointing.. as the RPMs are at 3k roughly at 70 mph. In town though.. at 40 mph 5th gear seems ideal and keeps the rpms low for good gas mileage. 6th gear at 40 mph is possible but seems to drag the motor too low. The dual mass flywheel with the 6 speed makes all shifts smooth as silk drives like a brand new car. Its a great cruising car now with plenty of power. You barely touch the gas to get around.. the 68mm TB makes throttle input super precise.

I dont think the 6 speed swap is worth it as far as performance gain. For me though, it was super worth it. The 5 speed shift assembly annoyed the hell out of me with how much play there was, I know it seems :deadhorse: but the G6 shifter assembly in this car is simply amazing with how direct it is.

Anyways.. 170 miles on the 6 speed as of now. I checked the weather.. no rain in sight until Monday.. I will driving this car everywhere until then. Its definitely ready for Bfest 2014!!!!!!!
Last edited by SummitBalt08 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Shawn

Bfests '11,'12,'14
July 2012 Bnet Calendar
michi

Re: The trip into the "big leagues" ..running and driving!

Post by michi »

Car looks awesome! Nice work man! Too bad the gearing of the 6spd is that high... i was very interested in the swap cause i would like to have some lower gearing for highway but atleast you got rid of the sloppy shifting of our stock trannies :D

heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

It might be worth the swap just to have a new(er) gearbox.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Kinda like the cropped photo......is a tad dark.

So did you find anything out about the chugging?

keep'em flying!
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Is your tach still set for a 4cyl? Cause according to the calcs I had done it should be about 2100rpm @ 70mph.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
SummitBalt08

Re: The trip into the

Post by SummitBalt08 »

Money pit Beretta wrote:Kinda like the cropped photo......is a tad dark.

So did you find anything out about the chugging?
No I havent. I figure the tune just needs tweaked. Out of all the time I have drove it, it only did it twice. Its not a steady thing yet to tell what it really is.

woody90gtz wrote:Is your tach still set for a 4cyl? Cause according to the calcs I had done it should be about 2100rpm @ 70mph.
Maybe Jon would have some insight on that.. but theres nothing left from a 4 cylinder. All the harnesses are 96 OBD2 V6, ecu is 97 V6 and the cluster is a 96 V6 OBD2 cluster.

What year trans did you calculate? The 06 or 07? They both have different gearing... What I am afraid of is that the junkyard sold me a 06 trans they had labeled as a 07 trans. I thought the tag was funny since the VIN was wrong ...

-Shawn

Bfests '11,'12,'14
July 2012 Bnet Calendar
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

woody90gtz wrote:Is your tach still set for a 4cyl? Cause according to the calcs I had done it should be about 2100rpm @ 70mph.
That's about what my Saab runs in 6th gear with the F40 (and larger diameter tires). It also depends on what gear set you have. I believe I have the 0.62 6th gear.

Cliff Scott
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

It's easy to get an estimate on the ratio by counting turns... Rather than guessing so much.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
michi

Post by michi »

Thats pretty interesting about the gearing... also i didnt knew Opel build this tranny in germany, lol.
Oh and these trannies are pretty cheap here... i have no idea how much they cost in the US but here they go for about $300-$400 on ebay.

weba

Post by weba »

michi, yes it's really viable option here, But I have a feeling the mounting locations can be totally different, haven't looked into that tho.