1994 3500 6 Speed ZR6

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
1988GTU

Re: The trip into the "big leagues" ..running and driving!

Post by 1988GTU »

Most of the leaks I've had were at the bulk head connectors, mainly the pass. side. The ps metal surrounding the connector likes to rot away, then create a waterfall into the ECU. How nice of GM!

_________
-------------
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

The cowl seam does leak after water collects there and it rusts through (happened on my GT)

Other than that, you're spot on with the air vent. Don't for get the harness bulkheads either, I had water leaking there too!

Cliff Scott
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

1988GTU wrote:Most of the leaks I've had were at the bulk head connectors, mainly the pass. side. The ps metal surrounding the connector likes to rot away, then create a waterfall into the ECU. How nice of GM!
The passenger side one on the later years has a boot over it. This is a significant upgrade over the older exposed style which I had the leaking problem with.

Cliff Scott
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I've sourced the earlier fresh air vent metal cover from a 90 GTZ that was in the yard when I was in NC I'll be installing that on my 96 this winter, the Indy should already have it.

And well yeah if you have a rust hole in your firewall it can leak from anywhere, I was just stating that seam is not the source of the leak but yes it's a good idea to replace cracked or falling out sealer to prevent rust in the future.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

I don't recall posting anything Eric. It is none of my business to post so not sure where u got that from

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

He meant Shawn I'm sure, he's old he makes typos and mistakes. LOL

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Just getting back to this. I just sealed my cowl and no longer have a bad water leak.
There was no sealer by #41 and a 1/4inch gap on the inside. There was no way for the water to go anywhere but inside. Also I made sure to reseal each side near the fenders(that could have been a leak).
LOL whatever I did worked. Did the whole thing, even the seam under the over hang by the windshield.

keep'em flying!
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

F
MY91GT(Z) wrote:I don't recall posting anything Eric. It is none of my business to post so not sure where u got that from
Corrected!

Sorry Shane. MY BAD!

:) :beer:

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Cliff8928 wrote:
1988GTU wrote:Most of the leaks I've had were at the bulk head connectors, mainly the pass. side. The ps metal surrounding the connector likes to rot away, then create a waterfall into the ECU. How nice of GM!
The passenger side one on the later years has a boot over it. This is a significant upgrade over the older exposed style which I had the leaking problem with.
Oh my 95..........someone took off that boot and I had to get one from the JY.
I was lucky to only find surface rust on my cowl. Bad pitting more or less. That was taken care of.
Again my car.........whom ever was on sealer duty was new or didn't give a crap. Some places never had sealer and some sealer missed the target.
Sure fear the day the carpet comes up!
I was just trying to say it helped me, not trying to throw it in anyones face(or start a problem). After that leak and all the work that did nothing, over doing it was the only way!

Edit: looks like the passenger side drip is still there.

keep'em flying!
Rettax3

Re: The trip into the

Post by Rettax3 »

SummitBalt08 wrote:After reading some on the G6 Forum.. turns out the 07 F40 6 speed has closer ratio 4-6th gears.. I thought the 07 trans had better gearing altogether but I was wrong.
I am definitely going to the 06 F40 this winter. Being at 3100 RPM at 70mph sucks.
Sorry it took so long to update on this... I've been driving the car around a lot lately, and got some extended highway travel in recently too. On my '06 F40, confirmed through PCM data through a scan-tool (much more accurate than, well, virtually any tach), I still have to confirm speedo accuracy with GPS, but it is really close. 16" GTZ rims with ~205/55R16s... Sixth gear yields 68 MPH at 2,000 RPM. Buwahahahaaa! :Yahoo!: (Sorry)

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
SummitBalt08

Post by SummitBalt08 »

Thanks for the info! Plan is to find out if I can swap 06 gearing into my 07 trans or if just getting a 06 trans is the better route.

Right now the car is on jackstands in the garage. Haven't really had much motivation to mess with it.

We pulled the passenger axle and intermediate shaft out because the axle clip has been missing on the intermediate shaft for some reason.

Been wanting to get something done about that for a couple months now.

Other than that needs a new battery and couple other small things.
Last edited by SummitBalt08 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Shawn
Been on the Beretta Forums since '04
94 Black Quad 5 spd Z26 ->3500 6 spd ZR6

Bfests '11,'12,'14
July 2012 Bnet Calendar
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

I don't recall a clip on my intermediate shaft either, though it may be there... Of course, your drivetrain is very different than mine, as you went all G6, whereas I am using a Saab intermediate shaft and Cobalt half-shafts with original Beretta wheel-bearings/spindles/etc... But I am wondering now if the F40s don't use a clip on that side of the shaft, since the shaft SHOULD be secured by the mount on the back of the engine? I might try to check my pics, to see if I can determine if my jackshaft even HAS a groove for a retaining clip...

Hey, at idle in neutral, does your F40 sound like a diesel idling, or not so much? It is supposed to be fairly typical to the F40s, I thought my GTU's exhaust would drown that out, but mine is very audible, especially when cold.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
SummitBalt08

Re: 1994 3500 6 Speed ZR6

Post by SummitBalt08 »

Havent updated this thread with detail for a bit so here we go...

Got the new (used) jackshaft and put the axle back in on the passenger side.

Now that the jackshaft has the clip in it the axle finally snaps onto how it needs to be.

Bad news is upon installing the passenger side axle seems the axle itself is a little short.
While tightening down the axle nut it looked as if it were pulling the axle back a bit off the jackshaft.
I will probably get a new axle made this winter.

I am going to skip a few events but the car is back to running. Had some issues but got them solved.
Last edited by SummitBalt08 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Shawn

Bfests '11,'12,'14
July 2012 Bnet Calendar
SummitBalt08

Post by SummitBalt08 »

Now here is the odd thing. This is regarding the whole gearing between the 06 and 07 F40 trans..

EVERYTHING I have said about what RPMS I was at on the highway is wrong.

I bought a new scanner for the obd port since my old one quit working for some reason.

Now I can see what my RPMs are really at.

The needle is way off on the cluster.

at 70 mph I am at 2400 RPM in 6th gear. I guess theres a possibility that the ecm could be sending the wrong RPM still. Will have to see after I take it to Milzys

Funny part about this is the whole time I drove on the tail of the dragon I never took it above 4k on the cluster. Which means I never really went above 2500 actual RPMs. Still had plenty of power for what I was doing.

I had it up to 5k rpm on the scanner and my needle was at 7k way past redline on the cluster lol. Only did that once.

Before I knew all this I made a decision yesterday that I kind of regret after driving the car today,

I bought a 0 mile brand new 2006 F40 that includes a BRAND NEW jackshaft and used G6 axles. Got them for a damn good price..

I didnt necessarily have the extra money for it but couldnt pass it up especially since Milzys only has one brand new 06 F40 left and they want 1200 bucks for it.

My stomach got upset when I realised I dont really need the 06 trans today.. I am of my word and didnt back out of the sale though.
Last edited by SummitBalt08 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

-Shawn

Bfests '11,'12,'14
July 2012 Bnet Calendar
SummitBalt08

Post by SummitBalt08 »

The 06 trans is getting shipped out on Monday or Tuesday. I havent decided if I will keep it or try to sell it to Milzys for what I got in it just to get my money back. Either way I am keeping the brand new jackshaft and selling the G6 axles.

The major issue with the car right now is the tune needs done bad.

I am hoping to take the Z to Milzys by the end of June to get that done and over with.

Had it out for a drive today and forgot about the whole cutting the fuel pump bucket thing that Jon told me I should do.

Found out I run out of gas around half tank according to the needle on the cluster. It died when I was at the entrance to the gas station so it had to be pushed to the pump.

I had to stuff 8 gallons in it so that must be the range. Pretty sad only having a 8 gallon range :(

It looks good with the new headlights though!

Last edited by SummitBalt08 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Shawn

Bfests '11,'12,'14
July 2012 Bnet Calendar