1989 Chevrolet Beretta GTU

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
GTU89

1989 Chevrolet Beretta GTU

Post by GTU89 »

182xxx miles and running strong.

Black and red GTU with Grey/Teal INDY seats and black dash. Fully loaded with every option possible.

Should have been washed and waxed before these pics but oh well

Issues:

Rust bubbling under gas cap
Scratch in fender (neighbors dog...)
Peeling clear coat on door handles

Nice and clean: (amazed me for the age and mileage)

NOS Vent cover I put on:

NOS Decals;

Last edited by GTU89 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

GTU89

Re: 1989 Chevrolet Beretta GTU

Post by GTU89 »

Shane Bunce wrote:Where u from n how much would u want for it
Central PA but it isn't for sale. Just figured I'd finally post the car since I've been a member since 11' and never posted the car in the members section.

Might be trading for a 87 Fiero GT (2.8 fastback automatic) with 70xxx miles but if that falls through then I will keep it since I do love the car it was bascially my first car and it's a great fun car.

Do Fiero GT's (87 with Chevette/Citation(?) based suspension) handle comparable or better than a GTU does? Are they presumably a "bit" quicker as well?

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

It's like goin from a Beretta with the front mounted engine to a Beretta with a Mid engine wrapped within a fiberglass shell.

_________
-------------
Burning_Beard

Post by Burning_Beard »

I had an 84 2M4 base with the duke and it was pretty quick.
Suspension was really stiff.
Bumpsteer was incredibly bad.
I 360'd it on a freeway and stayed in my lane doing it, not on purpose I may add.
It was a really big go kart. If I didn't accelerate into turns, the rear would get loose.

It's probably because it was a giant piece of unmaintained garbage. I've never been in a nice Fiero. I wonder how awesome it'd be, how amazing it would have been from the factory.

1989 Beretta GTU 2.8 w/77k, auto.
GTU89

Post by GTU89 »

Anyone know if insurance will be more/alot more expensive than the GTU? With 4 snow tires should it be decent in the snow? Would it be advisable to add weight to the front? (read about doing that on the internet)

From what I understand the 87's don't handle bad right?
(I know the 88's are the absolute best with their non-x/a body suspension)

Another thing: I've read various places that the Fiero's with the 2.8HO usually dyno'd at 150-170bhp is that true? Were they underrated?

GTU89

Post by GTU89 »

Well the Fiero fell through due to mileage difference. (they didnt like the idea of trading a 70k mile car for a 183k mile car)

Have a lead on a beautiful 90 GTZ beautiful dash paint and interior! 130k miles. Does that sound like a fair trade for my GTU? 90 is the best year for GTZ's correct?

Do you guys think it would be a mistake? I don't but it's always good to get second opinions. Beautiful original white paint. clean filler panels. crack/warp free dash and great interior other than dirty carpet and sagging headliner. Only option it doesn't appear to have is the sunroof (digi dash couldnt be had on Quad 4's right? only 3.1/2.8?)

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Value is in the eyes of the beholder.

Personally, if the struture as well as other bigger ticket items that commonly are at fault are sound, then I would see it worth the trade.

Trading is a gamble unless you know the risks and are able to reduce as many risks as possible

_________
-------------
GTU89

Post by GTU89 »

1988GTU wrote:Value is in the eyes of the beholder.

Personally, if the struture as well as other bigger ticket items that commonly are at fault are sound, then I would see it worth the trade.

Trading is a gamble unless you know the risks and are able to reduce as many risks as possible
Okay didn't know if you guys thought it would be crazy to trade a GTU. I see this as a fair trade as even though mine is in slightly worse shape with ~50k more miles. the GTU is nicer looking style-wise and rarer. The digi dash and having all options is cool too. The GTZ doesn't even have the sagging "smiley" front bumper! It looks to be in beautiful shape. No paint peel no nothing.

Anything to look for on the Quad 4? I know what areas to check for rust and whatnot but not sure how to be sure the Quad 4 is in good shape. They have the Getrag correct?

88_GTU

Post by 88_GTU »

Actually, 92 is the best year GTZ. 180hp, best geared trans, and bigger brakes.

J

88 GTU 5spd 67k black
89 GTU 3500/5spd swapped 79k white
08 TBSS LS2 AWD
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Engine: Good compression, clean oil, upkept coolant, no leaks
Check for sounds such as: no ticks, taps, or slaps
Trans: Clean oil, no leaks, housing isnt cracked at mounting area
Can row thru all gears with ease during a spirited run

A GTU is nice, but with any beretta, you can slap on ground effects across all the years to make it a GTU/INDY, GTZ/Z26 replica. Only differences that would limit full visual replications would be interior styles.

Unless you want a vin to match the car, I dont see the importance of keeping a GTU. Even then, a GTU is vin coded a GT iirc.

_________
-------------
GTU89

Post by GTU89 »

1988GTU wrote:Engine: Good compression, clean oil, upkept coolant, no leaks
Check for sounds such as: no ticks, taps, or slaps
Trans: Clean oil, no leaks, housing isnt cracked at mounting area
Can row thru all gears with ease during a spirited run

A GTU is nice, but with any beretta, you can slap on ground effects across all the years to make it a GTU/INDY, GTZ/Z26 replica. Only differences that would limit full visual replications would be interior styles.

Unless you want a vin to match the car, I dont see the importance of keeping a GTU. Even then, a GTU is vin coded a GT iirc.
You're correct on the GTU being Vin coded as a GT. I believe the only identifying features are the RPO on the spare tire cover and the Cars and Customs sticker on the trunklid. Both of which would be insanely easy to fake. You'd just need a 1988/1989 GT with the suspension package and good options for it to be a great clone.

Are the quads reliable? I assume not as much as the 2.8/3.1's. Should be a good bit quicker too right? my biggest attraction is the condition and 5spd(!)
88_GTU wrote:Actually, 92 is the best year GTZ. 180hp, best geared trans, and bigger brakes.

J
Probably right but according to Beretta.net's model info page it says the 90 also has 180hp/160tq. Should be a bit lighter due to the old style interior and no ABS or Airbags right? I'm very sure you're right on the gearing though and bigger brakes.

Should actually be a bit lighter than my GTU due to the Quad/5spd and not having a sunroof correct?

http://www.beretta.net/model_info/1990.htm

Do the 90 GTZ's handle similarly to a GTU? Do they handle a bit better? (taking mileage out of the equation and age)

GTU89

Post by GTU89 »

Ok well I'm being strongly advised against getting the GTZ. being told the Quad 4 is a total piece of crap that needs to be beaten the hell out of to get anywhere and that they are a piece of junk that constantly eats headgaskets and loves to blow up.

The GTZ in question has had quite a few new parts including a brand new head with headgasket a few hundred miles ago. To get the same performance as the GTU out of it do the Quads really need to have the hell revved out of them? Are they bad for daily driver duty?

And would a motor swap in the future be any easier on a 90 GTZ than a 89 GTU?

Amateur

Post by Amateur »

Ok well I'm being strongly advised against getting the GTZ. being told the Quad 4 is a total piece of crap that needs to be beaten the hell out of to get anywhere and that they are a piece of junk that constantly eats headgaskets and loves to blow up.

The GTZ in question has had quite a few new parts including a brand new head with headgasket a few hundred miles ago. To get the same performance as the GTU out of it do the Quads really need to have the hell revved out of them? Are they bad for daily driver duty?

A stock GTU/auto isn't really something I'd define as "performance" but rather "wonderfully adequate." Anyways if my 2.2 is driveable with far less power and peak torque delivery of 130 lb ft @ 4000 rpm, than any other Beretta ever made is most certainly driveable...except for one equipped with a 2.0 auto, yikes :shock: . You haven't seen daily driving low-end "gutless" until you've driven a rotary or a 1.6L kia motor (which only work since those cars weigh 2400 lbs and have uber close ratios).
The GTZ has peak torque of 160 twisties @ 5200 rpm, below that, you'd be floating <160 which I agree is drastically different to the oozing low end grunt of your V6. Even peak HP is at a hefty 6200 rpm.
For DD usage, I say stick with the GTU...otherwise you'd be driving a neutered engine with what essentially feels like a pedal happy 2.2 at normal DD operating rpms.

GTU89

Post by GTU89 »

Amateur wrote:

A stock GTU/auto isn't really something I'd define as "performance" but rather "wonderfully adequate." Anyways if my 2.2 is driveable with far less power and peak torque delivery of 130 lb ft @ 4000 rpm, than any other Beretta ever made is most certainly driveable...except for one equipped with a 2.0 auto, yikes :shock: . You haven't seen daily driving low-end "gutless" until you've driven a rotary or a 1.6L kia motor (which only work since those cars weigh 2400 lbs and have uber close ratios).
The GTZ has peak torque of 160 twisties @ 5200 rpm, below that, you'd be floating <160 which I agree is drastically different to the oozing low end grunt of your V6. Even peak HP is at a hefty 6200 rpm.
For DD usage, I say stick with the GTU...otherwise you'd be driving a neutered engine with what essentially feels like a pedal happy 2.2 at normal DD operating rpms.
So the GTZ would feel pretty damn doggy on a day to day basis compaired to the GTU unless I'd drive it spirited everywhere? Are they as unreliable as I'm told?

Also can anyone explain to me why a 1993 (4th gen with LT1) Firebird Formula is $40 a month to insure whereas the 1991 GTZ would be $38!? Why is the Firebird Formula only $2 a month more? (this is for bare state minimum)

This is for a 20 year old (me) at the moment going to look at a 93 Firebird Formula (4th gen as above) and the super nice shape 91 GTZ. If those fall through I'll just keep the GTU as I do love the car. Just to me the Firebird LT1 is especially tempting (GTZ is very tempting too even though no one around me thinks its any sort of good idea. no cracks or warps in dash even! original paint is perfect just needs buffed).