Project Second Chance Pics, Vids, Update PG19!

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: Project Second Chance - Gettin There PG11!!

Post by 3X00-Modified »

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/mig ... ip-15.html

best quote about the tip "You do what you have to do to get the weld done and let all the students and noobs keep arguing about pushing vs pulling." ;)

Everyone has their own preference but I've never heard of the statement your coworker made.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
90GTZHO

Post by 90GTZHO »

Yeah, i cant remember where he said he found it, but it seemed to work. Im still learning too, maybe one day, i can make the perfect weld.

Geoff
95 Base V6: Current Project; Work In Progress
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

I was just asking and not making fun or saying that it wouldn't work. I've done well with a wire welder(on automotive sheet metal) and a normal size arc(on thick metal in school). Not so good with my Crapsman mini arc(5/32 rods on a Eastwood stitch welder).
Welding is by far a learned talent. Those that do it the most are the best.
Did it a few times on my Camaro....

keep'em flying!
90GTZHO

Post by 90GTZHO »

Okay, so here we go, i'll just cut to the chase lol

So, since i got this whole setup out of a J-body, there were certain things i had to do to make everything work like i needed it to. The first was the clutch master reservoir. Being it had a very short hose, i needed to make it longer till i found the right reservoir.

This was my first attempt to figure out how to make it work...

3/8" steel brake line to take up the space and get it out of the way so i can install the wiper motor. The steel line was because i didnt have any hose that would withstand brake fluid. Turned out to be a pointless and stupid idea. Then, i found out we have hose at work that resists the fluid, as long as its not under pressure. I bought a three foot length of it and and modified an N-body reservoir bracket, and came up with this. I think i am just going to leave it, as i like how its alot easier to get to, and out of the way.

The hose runs down and back to the master with a slight downhill slope, just enough to make it flow and not build up air bubbles.

Made alot more progress too last night. Heres the driver side subframe trans mount i made, I found out i drilled the hole a little to far outboard, so i will have to fix that, but oh well.

Got a new trans dogbone as the one i picked from the yard was kinda iffy. Also got the frame and mount installed too.

I also warrantied out my front struts as they were starting to show signs of age. Good thing about working where i do :D Changed them out at work and got them installed as well.

Geoff
90GTZHO

Post by 90GTZHO »

Peek-a-boo!

Its looking better under here!

Also installed new front brake lines. For as cheap as they were and my old ones splitting, i wanted new.

Just need to bleed the brakes and clutch, fill it with coolant, and figure out why my brand new output shaft seal on the drivers side is leaking. Kinda pissed me off when i saw that, grrr.

I miss driving my car, and i hope i have her up and running this weekend. This project has taken way too long!

I still need to finish fixing this problem of my exhaust hanging down. Instead of a bazillion clamps under the car holding the pipes up, i welded two of the four joints from the reapir of the "previous owners better idea" for the exhaust.

I still have a magnaflow muffler im really tempted to change out in place of the crappy dynomax thats on it now. I want to get that ugly ass tip off the back of the car. Maybe i can do that tonight....

Almost forgot, i found a 92 GT with a full cluster in it at the yard, only 96xxx miles :-D Now i have my full cluster woo hoo!

Once the brakes are bled, and the coolant filled, Im taking her home to finish her up. Cant wait!

Geoff
SuzukiGhostRider

Re: Project Second Chance - Almost Done! PG12!!

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

Good crap Geoff.

90GTZHO

Re: Project Second Chance - Almost Done! PG12!!

Post by 90GTZHO »

Shes back on the ground and running! Took her to work today and shes running great! Report coming up soon :D

Geoff
Money pit Beretta

Re: Project Second Chance - All Done! PG12!! Woo Hoo!!!

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Ok, now I see why you can get so much done. What a shop! Not to say we are on the same level when it comes to working on cars.

keep'em flying!
red91gtz

Post by red91gtz »

huge transformation. Love the 5 speed swap. Looks like a ton of little things needed to be done to do it. Did you have to do some wiring changes? Care to explain?

92 GTZ 3.1/auto, no real mods other then a strut bar, I fight hard enough to get it road worthy!
90GTZHO

Post by 90GTZHO »

Holy crap! Its been WAAAAAAYY too long since i have updated this... Hmmm. I guess i need to get to work. Here comes the update. Six pages of PB pics coming your way...

Geoff
90GTZHO

Post by 90GTZHO »

SO! The car have been driving for quite some time now, as some of you know. Its been doing realy good, the power output thru the trans from the 3x00 is alot nicer than the piece of crap slush box. Its also nice to not have to hear the trans knocking when the car is warming up in the am. Long story short, after getting the trans swapped in and the full cluster installed, it was showing that the engines oil pressure was on the low side. After further investigation, found out, that yes indeed, the engine is dying. But lets not get too side tracked lol.

Since the car has been back on the road, its gotten alot of work done to it. For starters, she received a set of my old GTZ wheels, and new rubber to go with them.

Then, a new rear glass with defroster lines, and installed my defrosted signal wire.

Then, did a dash swap to go with the center console i had already installed.

Had to get rid of the original, ugly ass blue steering wheel, so i modded and installed an Achieva steering wheel.

After a few days of driving around with it, i got tired of looking at the Olds logo, so i took out the exacto blade and cut out around the center and installed the Chevy button from a Lumina horn pad. I still have a little bit of work to do on it, but for now, i like it.

Last edited by 90GTZHO on Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff
90GTZHO

Post by 90GTZHO »

I found a 96 Corsica in the yard that only had 62k miles on it, with a near perfect interior (thats where the dash came from), so i went back to it and got the carpet out it to put in my car. The old, nasty red carpet was smelling like cat piss every time it got wet outside. So, it needed to go.

It was also the perfect time to get my re-carpeted rear deck installed as well.

And, in case your curious, i didnt clean it before it installed it. Didnt really have the means to do so. The car it came from was that clean.

Geoff
90GTZHO

Post by 90GTZHO »

After all that, and some time, i decided it was time for some higher res pics. The last pic before the wheels changed.

Geoff
90GTZHO

Post by 90GTZHO »

The single blue wheel i had on the car, really drove me nuts, so out came the tape and paint...

While i had the wheels off, i did some undercoat touch up in the wheel wells, and painted the drums, just trying to make things look nice again.

After i decided there was enough paint on the wheels, i put them back on and rolled out for some pics with the new look. I still have some touch up work to do, and clear them.

Geoff
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Cool beans and ya aren't giving up.

I have to ask. Where do u go 4x4in? Doesnt the fwd limit your capabilities? :D

_________
-------------