The Derretta, 1994 base with some attitude.

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
whiteretta

Re: The Derretta, 1994 base with some attitude.

Post by whiteretta »

That's what I figured, but I did bench test the Gabriel's vs. the Delco's, and the Delco's are much stiffer right out of the box.

1994 Chevy Beretta, mild 3500 swap.
https://youtube.com/@MurphRocks86?si=mpCQc0DnEitPx3Jg
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

That I'm not surprised with... I am willing to bet they are similar to KYB but maybe a bit more reliable.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

I had the same idea, I don't like the reputation that KYB struts have had lately. They seem to have gone downhill some in quality. The Delco's seem to be quite comparable, I'm ready to see how they do.

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Just freaken great, I've got KYB's on all four corners right now(as of last year).

keep'em flying!
whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

Subframes fully coated in POR-15! Obviously, you can't coat the whole inside of them, anything you guys would recommend? I'm debating between silcon spray or Fluid Film spray.

whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

Hefty, hefty, hefty! These bushings are beefy...

I also had to change the hub assemblies, the six year old Timkens were starting to hang up. I went with our Duralast Gold hubs (reboxed Timkens, same part number stamped into them) from my work, had a 30% discount weekend and couldn't pass it up. Looks like they beefed up the base of these a little as well since the last time I purchased them, as relevant as that may even be...

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Just a note I did do 4 tack welds on my rear bushings on my control arms... Not sure if it's the control arm I had but one fit a bit too loose for my comfort

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

Good to know! Maybe I'll mic some Dorman bushings first and see how far off they are for future reference...

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I think it was my control arm because the rubber one that was there came out kinda funny to begin with. Just figured I would give you a heads up.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

whiteretta wrote:Hefty, hefty, hefty! These bushings are beefy...

I also had to change the hub assemblies, the six year old Timkens were starting to hang up. I went with our Duralast Gold hubs (reboxed Timkens, same part number stamped into them) from my work, had a 30% discount weekend and couldn't pass it up. Looks like they beefed up the base of these a little as well since the last time I purchased them, as relevant as that may even be...

for a year or two I kept having wheel bearings break for some unknown reason, I found out if I remember correctly that Timkins and national are both made a lot cheaper than they used to be, my she was a wheel bearings as they just kept breaking I kept snapping them in half like they were coming apart, the only ones I got to hold up where the Moog ones

1 Of 1 Street Legal Centri S/c Beretta's In Existance
whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

I was really surprised it only lasted six years, especially with how seldom I drive it. Only 20k on it in that many years... Lets hope these last longer. I only paid $63 a piece after my discount, and they do appear to be a better construction, so I guess we'll see!

wicked-irocz

Post by wicked-irocz »

Slinky wrote: for a year or two I kept having wheel bearings break for some unknown reason, I found out if I remember correctly that Timkins and national are both made a lot cheaper than they used to be, my she was a wheel bearings as they just kept breaking I kept snapping them in half like they were coming apart, the only ones I got to hold up where the Moog ones
Timkins are indeed cheaper than they were. National and Moog are the same parts. Moog bought National and has since moved both to Mexico and elseware. Very few are still made in the USA as National originally did.

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

Random update post!!!

Took my trans pan off to replace the gasket and install a new pan with a filter... And the back line was popped loose! The Sonnax repair kit should take care of this, thanks for the info Jon!

I'm also using a Felpro pan gasket instead of the cheapo that came with my filter... Much better quality. Im putting a new driver's output shaft seal on the transmission too, got a SKF teflon seal on clearance for $4 shipped on RockAuto. A new half shaft is going in, may as well replace the seal.

I found my oil leak on the rear of the engine as well, crank sensor had a chunk of the mounting bracket missing, so it wasnt sealing properly.

I also finally got my oil pan on! Its actually red... You just can't tell because my flash is insanely bright. A local shopped also pressed my Moog bushings into my control arms for nothing, you can't argue with that!

Struts, half shafts, output shaft seal, steering knuckles, hubs, pads, rotors, calipers all installed! I went with eBay rotors too, same the lady has on her Charger, and they seem pretty good quality especially for the money. I also got my starter on too, so I'm finally making some good progress!

yellow3800

Post by yellow3800 »

Too much to comment on here on the work, so I'll pull out one thing: the coating of the inside of the nicely-coated subframe rails. Coat them with boiled linseed oil. Don't worry, I think it comes pre-boiled, from your local hardware store.

source: the inside of wing struts on airplanes are coated with this. it keeps a good film and corrosion out.

I don't see why paint cant do it if you can get the oil out of there. if you can't, I vote the oil in. Also two corrosion fighters sprays are corrosion X and ACF-50. Check their steel compatibility because its mostly used on aluminum.

Good Job on the car!

Andy
The Lemon--<no subframe coatings

whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

Awesome info! Thank you sir! I read the post a little late, and ended up just using silicon spray, but I'll definitely try some linseed on parts of my other project car.

More quick progress pics!

Sonnax lube tube kit!

Ebay special trans pan, even comes with a drain plug installed... I think Dorman also makes these?

I also got rid of the FFP pulley, back to stock once again.

Oh, yea... Cradle assembled and on the car! Look at that sexy 32mm bar!

I also got bored and polished up my motor mount bracket while it was off to change the belt... I couldn't believe how easily it polished up! Went with a Gatorback belt too, of course. No pic necessary, lol.

Lug nuts are now black too. Had to buy a new set because someone jacked up my lug nut tool, black was cheapest... And I like them more after installing them on one of the wheels!