DTMAce's Z26 project - DD usage for the time being - 6-8-12

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
Carson21R

Howdy all

Post by Carson21R »

Wow good luck!

Did you say you paid 150 for that front bumper? wow. I got my MINTY one for 40 all the supports/lights.

DTMAce

Howdy all

Post by DTMAce »

Actually $125, but got it with all the lights, all the inner framework, the steel bumper & absorbers, the bottom plastic panels, as well as the lower air ram.  Plus I pulled an arm rest, the inner shifter console, and the shifter knob as well that went with it for that price.

$40 for a minty is good though.  All I have to do to mine is sand and paint.  No damage other than some surface scuffs, so I feel it is rather minty as well.  lol
I figured I would end up paying more than that for a nice condition one, or aftermarket or some such ****.

Anyways, cool and thanks.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

95Z26beretta

Howdy all

Post by 95Z26beretta »

(DTMAce @ Oct. 14 2008,21:24)QUOTEAny chance one of you have a front valence for a Z that is in excellent shape?  The part with the chevy logo for above the front bumper?  Let me know.
Gibsons has 3-4 of them around all on the Zs and 1 other car. I may have to go back yet and get the ECM for my truck.

1992 Quasar Quad GTZ
2004 F150 FX4 Edition
snowblindburd
Administrator

Howdy all

Post by snowblindburd »

I've got one here, and im sure Gibsons has plenty.  I'll take pictures if you're interested.

1991 Beretta GTZ
DTMAce

Howdy all

Post by DTMAce »

If you can get one Eric (95Z26), go for it.  Since you already have some other stuff for me.  []

BTW, send me a PM with your e-mail so I can get you an address.

Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

DTMAce

Howdy all

Post by DTMAce »

Well, I know what I am going to do for my external lighting:

SuperBright LED

They carry lots of stuff, going to replace all the externals..  hee hee  *rubs hands together

Now to plan my Z26 lit logo.   What I wanted to do, was use colors similar to the original purple and green in the logo sticker.  Not that you guys can see it, but I even had a pin striped painted to match the Z logo.  Will post a shot of it later tonight.

Money pit Beretta

Howdy all

Post by Money pit Beretta »

The damage doesn't stand a chance with you guys working on it. This car will be good as new and ready to roll very soon.

keep'em flying!
Carson21R

Howdy all

Post by Carson21R »

Yea thats not a bad price for all the parts. I thought you paid just 150 for a bumper.

Good luck, its looking NICE so far.

DTMAce

Howdy all

Post by DTMAce »

Thanks Carson, MP...

Worked on it a bit today, pulled some of the front frame out a bit straighter, pulled the drivers side front fender back in a bit.  Also took off all the side rail moldings.  Looks a lot better without them, but man was that a job!   The following pics were from earlier today before I did those things:

Next I need to remove the decals.... I don't plan to put them back, but I need to try to save one, so I have a pattern for the light inserts.  Unless one of you have a decent spare I can use for a pattern to mail me?  Doesn't have to be pretty, as long as it is intact and flat, so I can trace it out to make an exact pattern.  Once I get a process figured out that works, and it does work, I will do a write up on how to make one.

Already have about 210 bucks estimate, just in the lighting for this dang thing.  45 tri-color LEDs for EACH insert.  (5 strips of 9, approx 12" and a light controller).  That doesn't include the cost for the 1/2" and 1/4" Plexi that I need to get. (they form the light diffusers)  I have to sit down and draw it up, maybe then you all will have an idea.  Oh, I am using the tri-color cause I can do one of two things.  I can make purple and green, and/or install a lighting box to make patterns and color shifts.  Sounds cool eh?

Will update more as I work on it.
Last edited by DTMAce on Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mr. Beefy

Howdy all

Post by Mr. Beefy »

good work so far! It sounds like you have a good plan too. Just keep at it. I LOVE that color.

John

'01 Duratec Sable Wagon
DTMAce

Howdy all

Post by DTMAce »

Oh, one more thing!

I found out what it would cost to convert all the external lighting (except for headlights and fogs) over to LED lighting.

Approx 160 bucks, then some time doing a few mods.

Most of the 1156/1157s I am doing straight replacements with a 24 LED Wide angle bulb (colored to match the lens), so 6 of those, 3 of the wide angel 5 LED 194's, (2 for the tail lights, one for the license plate) then use red and yellow strip lights for all four side markers and two sets of red strip lights for the 3rd brake.  That ends up with 36 red LEDs, and the side markers will have 9 each.

Should work.

DTMAce

Howdy all

Post by DTMAce »

Oops.  Did I say 6 1156/57s?  LOL
Actually:
4 red
4 white
2 yellow

What an idiot.  *sigh

Money pit Beretta

Howdy all

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Wow man that's is something almost nuts(patterns and shifts)! Don't drive too fast, the cops will see those tail lights from a long way.  Is there a way that you can trace the decals on the car first(just to make sure you don't end up trashing them taking them off). How did you pull the frame out, what did you use to do it?

keep'em flying!
Bandit

Howdy all

Post by Bandit »

Seeing your car makes me miss my old one even more than I already do.  But you are doing great work with the car.

Not to "steal" your post.  

Link to pic of my old Z26.  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums....490.jpg

- Ryan -
1987 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
1995 Chevy S10 Ext. Cab 4x4
DTMAce

Howdy all

Post by DTMAce »

QUOTEMoney pit Beretta
Wow man that's is something almost nuts(patterns and shifts)! Don't drive too fast, the cops will see those tail lights from a long way.  Is there a way that you can trace the decals on the car first(just to make sure you don't end up trashing them taking them off). How did you pull the frame out, what did you use to do it?

Well, the patterns and shifts would be done mostly by the controller, but still.  Something different.  I rarely drive fast anyway these days, and around here, not too worried about the cops anyway.  
I am going to try that, tracing them that is, cause I want to retain the OEM look as much as possible, but if one of you have a decal laying around, let me know.
As for the frame, well, we strapped the car down from underneath behind the front wheels, (we have anchor pits in the concrete floor) then used a come-a-long to pull out the front frame.  A hammer helped a bit as well.  Now to use a spot weld removal bit, take out the top and passenger corner of the core and replace it with the piece I cut from the base.   I picked up plastic today, so we can wall off a paint area.  Should have that changed and back together next couple days, then put the new fender on, etc.

QUOTEBandit
Seeing your car makes me miss my old one even more than I already do.  But you are doing great work with the car.

Thanks man.  For some reason, this color just stands out better than many of the others, IMO of course.  

Oh, and if any of you know where I can get NEW transmission cooler lines for this let me know. I need both upper and lower for this Z (3100) I have been to 3 different places around here and NO one has any!  I don't want to deal with used, cause you never know for sure if they leak or not, etc.  If any of you have a lead or can get me a set, let me know I will paypal you to get them and ship them.

Thanks!