DTMAce's Z26 project - DD usage for the time being - 6-8-12

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
DTMAce

Re: DTMAce's Z26 project - DD usage for the time being - 6-8

Post by DTMAce »

Water pump time! Though this was an annoying day.

Osprey I think it was. Was he hungry, or just buzzing around. Pretty cool though.

Pretty annoyed right now. This is what I get for guessing as to the source of the noise I was hearing.

Yeah, my noise is still there, so now its down to the steering pump or the timing chain. Ugh.

In fact, the new pump added a nice new tic noise, wonderful. The old pump's bearing was just as tight and smooth as the new one, so it will become a spare now. No sense in throwing out what appears to be a perfectly good pump. Still pissed me off though, doing all that and it wasn't that at all.

OH well.

Just drive it till it blows I guess. Really need to track down a 3400 now though. lol

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

DOHC_tuner

Post by DOHC_tuner »

DTMAce wrote:
DOHC_tuner wrote:Did you hammer out the piece that holds the radiator on top? Or replace it?

Reason I ask is I had the same issue.
Not sure how that relates to the water pump? Are you talking from back when I hit the deer? That has been replaced, but that was over 3 years ago now.
LOL...no relation to the water pump. I just had my radiator go out after my accident...dam fan ate up the radiator.

I tried my best to hammer that piece back.....so you replaced it?

Now I cant find a new radiator for a Quad 4 :(

I went to autozone and oreillys and they are $200+ for one!

I then was referred to a local shop and they guy said the 2.2,2.3,and 3.1 are all the same.

Well after comparing the two...they are not the same :*(

DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Maybe not, but I remember looking at the 2.2 I had here, and they looked close to the same. Hell the radiator in my 95 base is for a 96 which is not the same as the 94 or 95 models. Has an inlet in a lower spot, but it works fine, just have to use a different hose is all.

As long as the main requirements are the same (mounts and dimension) and the hoses are close, you should be able to use it.

Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I'd go after the tensioner before the PS pump, unless thats been done recently.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
DOHC_tuner

Post by DOHC_tuner »

DTMAce wrote:Maybe not, but I remember looking at the 2.2 I had here, and they looked close to the same. Hell the radiator in my 95 base is for a 96 which is not the same as the 94 or 95 models. Has an inlet in a lower spot, but it works fine, just have to use a different hose is all.

As long as the main requirements are the same (mounts and dimension) and the hoses are close, you should be able to use it.
I compared the old rad with the new one....and the new one is perfect in every way except the inlet/outlet on the pass. side is angled up versus the old one that points straight down....I also thought about switching hoses...but not sure if a hose off another motor would work...

DOHC_tuner

Post by DOHC_tuner »

Sorry Im at work....and I thought I PM'd you....i didnt mean to get off topic

LX9Power

Post by LX9Power »

is it possible to be your a/c compressor? myne is starting to make a whinnning noise and a bearing noise. does yor s pump make noise when you turn your wheels from left to right at idle? i mean a big whine.

DTMAce

Re: DTMAce's Z26 project - DD usage for the time being - 8-2

Post by DTMAce »

Well, lets see. Been a while, still daily driving the Z. Probably going to just drive it into the ground at this point. I had to give her an alignment. Toe was out a LOT. Been grinding off the corners of the front tires, insides of the driver side and outside of the passenger side. Pretty ugly. Must have hit a chuck hole at some point within the past year. Camber is out a tad, within spec, but its still out. But it can't be adjusted without an offset bolt, which bothers me. It never has been out like that. Plus I think I have an axle that's trying to go, or something. Tends to give me a shake, especially if under power and going into a left hand turn (weight toward the right hand side). Though it could be tires too, hard to say. I don't think its a bearing. Might be tie rod ends, they have never been replaced ever. Most of it only occurs at speeds above 65 though, and I rarely go that fast around here. About to cross the 240k mark. I really need to update Fuelly. lol

Due for an oil change, due for a bath, due for a few things. Dash has started to bubble like a bitch. I had a spot the size of a dime last year in the exact front left corner of the passenger pocket, and the year before that it was perfect. Now its nearly deformed an area in the corner of the "pocket" about the size of a baseball. My driver's seat is starting to split pretty bad along the outside lumbar wrap-a-round. The headliner right at the edge where it meets the top of the drivers door (in the center of the door opening) is frayed to the point where it has separated. Not much, but a tiny bit. Probably from all the years of putting my hand in that location while driving. Good lord, I could go on an on about the little things.

Engine seems to be running well. Still stumbles for the first couple of minutes when starting it, but then it smooths out and is fine. Going to try swapping the spark wires with the new ones I bought for the base, see if that does anything. I put new plugs in when I did the LIMG, but who knows. All I know is, it will act rough like its missing a bit, then smooth out and is fine for the rest of the day. Sometimes when I get damp weather, it will stumble more often, like when I'm going on level or downhill grades, but not as much as it was last year. When its hot or has been running long enough to be at normal temps, I can hear a soft knocking noise. Sounds deep. When its cold its not there though. Been there for a while, but it seems to keep getting more noticeable lately, or I'm being paranoid.. Either is not good I suspect.

The poor old girl is tired. I have taken care of it, but its not going to live forever. What's really bad, I tried to jack the thing up when I was rotating tires a month ago, and nearly crushed through the floor pan when I was using the folded seam lips along the bottom for a lift point. Have used them in the past without issue, but holy crap. They just kept trying to fold over and collapse. Not good. Obviously the floor pan is worse than I originally thought.

At this point, who knows. She looks so damn good though, I still get comments on it.

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Osprey pic is not bad,just a little blur. What did you use?

Yeah man I have never been much on using jack points on old cars. Four point is fine with me, but a single jack always puts fear into me. I always jack it up under the control arm.

keep'em flying!
berettaboi

Post by berettaboi »

i always jack under the subframes, directly under where they mount to the body. the bolts are extremely tolerant to jacks stands being on them as well. and always directly on the rear axle.

4th one's a charm, 5th one is, beginnning to sound like this is an addiction...
95 black z26, '96 White z26 awaiting new life, and 2.5 mazda trucks
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I always use the pinch weld area... that's where it was designed to be lifted from with the emergency jack so if it collapses there then yes as he noted his floor pan is in much worse condition than he originally thought unfortunately.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Well, its been an annoying month or so, to say the least. Lets see....

Been busy with many things, new baby and all, not to mention computer work, car problems, etc.

Which brings me to the past month.

I have been working on diagnosing my Z, with some help from Jon via FB trying to figure out what the hell is going on with it.

Here are the symptoms:

About 3 or 4 weeks ago, it started running really rough at idle. Stumbling, stinky exhaust, hard to start, etc. At WOT it was perfectly fine, it would get up and go, it would smooth out, etc. But if you were cruising at 55 and had only a slight load you could feel the engine stumble, but if you went up a small hill it would smooth out again.

Now this week it progressed to where its no feels like its down a cylinder, a lot. If I pick up the throttle to go up a hill it will almost buck. Still idles about the same though too. Almost like its getting too much fuel. (stinky exhaust, you can even smell gas in the exhaust sometimes)

Here is what we tried, in order with the symptoms we had at the time. I was thinking maybe it was the SFI having trouble at first.

So I pulled the High Resolution Crank sensor to disable that. No change.
Then tried the cam sensor. No change.
Swapped the ICM from the 95. No change.
Put the brand new wires I had just bought for the 95 onto the Z. No change.
Coils measured within 500 ohms of each other, so I hadn't swapped them yet.
Next I swapped the TPS, the MAP. No change.
Now, I have not directly tested actual fuel pressure, but then as I said to Jon, if it were low, I wouldn't have any power, and its acting as if its running too rich. We got to thinking it could be a stuck open injector.
SO. I pulled the upper intake and swapped the entire injector assembly from the 95 to the 94. No change.
Went through, looked at my vacuum lines, sprayed ether around the intake, etc. No changes in idle, no apparent leaks. I did have a high idle after swapping the injectors, but it turned out the TPS sensor was malfunctioning, so I replaced it back to the original.
Drove it that way for a week, then this week it really started acting up with it going down a cylinder (or feel like it did) even under WOT condition.
Pulled each spark plug and examined them. Number 1 was bent nearly closed and had a bridge built. (I honestly don't know how that happened, I had gaped checked them prior to install and they are 30k plugs right now) BUT get this. All of them looked normal for the most part. Number 3 was not as whitesh orangish as the others though. It looked darker, but wasn't black or anything. I cleaned 1, and re-gaped it and put it back. No change so far. Replaced the O2 sensor (swapped from the 95) and still no change. Now, the O2 sensor was mostly white. The one from the 95 was black. I found that interesting.
I went ahead and swapped the coils anyway just to be sure. Still no change.
I think there isn't much left, outside of the computer itself, which I'm assuming the 95 computer and the 94 should interchange... lol

Anyone else have any input? Jon has been pretty good about pointing me in the troubleshooting dept.

I have to pick up a fuel pressure tester, just to be SURE its not that. But I essentially had swapped the regulator and everything else when I did the injector assembly.

But it if is acting like its running rich, then it shouldn't be a fuel issue, if anything its a spark issue, yet all that checks out, short of buying all new plugs. BTW, the 95 had different plugs than the 94, yet both part numbers checked out as valid. But the ones in the 95 are literally 1/4 of an inch longer than the ones I have in the 94. lol

So I guess I'm down to either a computer issue, wiring issue, or something is actually busted in there, like a valve spring, or something.

Edit:

Oh yeah, I still have to get time to try doing a pressure check on the cylinders, maybe that will show something, if all else fails. But damn I hate working on the backside of that engine! lol

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

I have no idea. I don't know why but I always start thinking about the purge valve. I think that is my default idea and I just can't shake it.

keep'em flying!
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Check the FPR? Pull the vacuum line to it and check for raw fuel.

_________
-------------
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

I could, but I had replaced that with the one from the 95. Symptom still existed, so unless both are bad....?