DTMAce's Z26 project - DD usage for the time being - 6-8-12

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
DTMAce

Howdy all

Post by DTMAce »

More updates:

Front bumper primered.  We used a base adhesive spray to bond the primer to the bumper.  Interesting stuff.  In the past you used a flexible additive to the paint, but they apparently don't do that anymore.

Been working on this side, need to finish wet sanding and such and it will be ready for paint.

Shot of the rear after primer was put on.  Looks better, but will see how it holds up down the road.

At the rate we are going, feels like it will be done by Christmas.  Ugh.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

Money pit Beretta

Howdy all

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Don't feel too bad, as I said it would take me many months to do what you are doing. All work would have to stop in this cold. Nice patch on the rear there! I didn't think that you would just let that hole stay there. That's the kinda thing that just eats at you when you know it's still there. If you want a new bumper support I know where to get one, just not sure where it was made.

keep'em flying!
DTMAce

Howdy all

Post by DTMAce »

One?  I would need a set.  The bumper itself is fine, it is those absorbers I would have to replace.  (the rusty things sticking out the back)

Currently I am working on my sidemarkers.  Hope to get one complete tonight.  

Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

Money pit Beretta

Howdy all

I don't know where to get the absorbers just yet. If you have a GM part # I might be able to find them. I guess we will call it the bumper/ bumper brace? I know where to get one new, but you say that yours is ok. Just thought it could be of some help and save some work.

keep'em flying!
DTMAce

Howdy all

Post by DTMAce »

No hurry.  Not too worried about it yet.

I have finished my first LED Sidemarker, well almost finished.  I have to glue it together yet and glue the "ear" on the one end.

Will post more of these when I get them completed.  I deviated from my original idea, but I like how this works better.  Pretty easy to do as well.

Cliff8928
Administrator

Howdy all

Post by Cliff8928 »

That's an awesome idea on the sidemarker!

Cliff Scott
DTMAce

Howdy all

Post by DTMAce »

Trickiest part is separating the lens and the bezel.  I used a razor knife, kept cutting along the seam till they broke loose.  When these are done they will be watertight.  Every sidemarker I have is full of dirt from the original bulbs baking the plastic bezel around the bulb area.  Some had even melted a bit.  At least with the LEDs there will be little to no heat, and definitely not enough to melt or crack them again.

Will be using some clear devcon epoxy, gluing them back together, then sealing the place where the wires go through, glue the hook ear tab back on,  then sand the edges flush, and finally paint the back silver.

I get these ironed out a bit more I "might" make some for others down the road, who knows.

Money pit Beretta

Howdy all

That's a great idea! They should sell out quick. If you are going to make them I was thinking that you could talk to fastlane02 and have him sell them on his site(just a thought). A very crazy idea: have them flash down the line with the turn signal on. Kinda like the old Knight Rider set up. Sorry, you have done enough work and I think it's great the way you have it.

keep'em flying!
DTMAce

Howdy all

Post by DTMAce »

Nice idea with the sequential flashing, but these lights aren't setup for that.  Different sort of layout, they need a controller chip, etc.  These just have LEDs and resistors built into a flexible sticky backed strip that I can cut to length, solder in the wire and connect.  Simple.

I also had been working on my foglamps today.  I had 3 sets of lights, 1 set was totally junk, 1 set from my car of course and one I bought from the yard in WI.

My set had the best lamp holders, and one good lens.  The set from WI had the best bezels and also 1 good lens.  Of course both of the passenger side lenses from both sets were busted.

So.... I had to take apart the entire light, separate the lens from the reflector, (they were siliconed in) clean the rust off of the area where the bulb goes, repaint the back of the reflector, clean the inner reflector area best I could, the area around the bulb sockets were rusted though.  Cleaned the lenses, now just have to re silicone them back together and re assemble.

They will look near new anyway and should work.  I had bought brand new bulbs for the fog lamps a week before the deer hit.

Anyways.  More to come soon.

Money pit Beretta

Howdy all

Yea, that sequential flashing would be cool. With everything needed to make it work there would be more chance for trouble down the road. I can't wait to see all this when it's done.

keep'em flying!
DTMAce

Howdy all

Post by DTMAce »

Did a bit more today, even though it is turkey day.  Actually we about have the car body about done.  Just have to go over a few areas, finish the pass door, bit more wet sanding then we can clean and prep.

As for the plastic stuff, I have to finish sanding the lower GEs, and the rear bumper.  Also need to prep the tailights and the upper filler (that has beretta on it) so that I can paint them to match the car.  Seen a couple of you that had that done, I am doing something similar, but not the same as those of you that painted that reflective area of the taillights, etc.  Currently I am back up north so work will resume when I get back down there.

Money pit Beretta

Howdy all

When will you paint?

keep'em flying!
DTMAce

Howdy all

Post by DTMAce »

Soon I hope.

Money pit Beretta

Howdy all

Cool! What kind of paint are you going to use? How many coats?

keep'em flying!
DTMAce

Howdy all

Post by DTMAce »

Brand?  Heck I am not sure on that, but it is the factory color that came on the Z.  Coats?  As many as it takes, I have 3 quarts of the color, probably at least 2 coats for sure.  Since I have an expert painting it, I will let him figure that part out.