DTMAce's Z26 project - DD usage for the time being - 6-8-12

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: DTMAce's Z26 project - DD usage for the time being - 6-8

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I don't think that is true... The vss is a simple magnet hal effect sensor... the cluster is run from the ECU.

BUT if you want to try it, it's on the passenger tail shaft of the trans.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

I would have to agree with you Jon.

I would think if that sensor was messed up, the gauges would have been acting up no matter if the lights are on or not. However, I will add it to the list of possibles. I have to go for now, will look into the wiring and that later today hopefully. :D

Still. Does anyone have an idea of which plug at the computer goes to what? It would help me a bunch in trouble shooting this.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I'll email you a wiring diagram later today

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Thanks for that Jon!

I may have found something to check that is causing the problem. There is a common ground that ties into both the ignition stuff and the cluster, and its located on a transaxle nut near the exhaust (apparently located along the middle of the engine/trans). Will check that ground later today and see what I find out. Fingers crossed.

Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

snowblindburd
Administrator

Post by snowblindburd »

So what did you find out?

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Last I spoke with him he was tracing grounds and doing continuity tests on them to see if anything is showing up shy or extra resistance. I haven't heard anything since then. He was also contemplating an ECU swap from the 95.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

#@#*($(O*)(#(*^&@)_#$

Well, you can't cuss with a damn on here.

Went over several ground points. All good.
Swapped the computer. STILL NO CHANGE!!! I MEAN SERIOUSLY?

Current symptoms:

Turn running lamps on. Both turn signal indicators light up, along with the bright indicator, to tell you the bulbs are missing. (They aren't and they are all working fine, I checked)
It also either freezes the RPM and Speed gauge, or causes them to go bonkers. If you use the turn signals with the lights off and going down the road, it causes the RPM and speed to go bonkers.

It is also running rougher than ever, like its not getting spark all the time. It will die, stumble, run rich, etc.

This all smells of an electrical problem SOMEWHERE, but I be bloody dammed if I can find it. I have been pouring over the diagrams, but not putting it together as to where the problem actually is. Ugh!

Any ideas? Please read through the last couple pages before answering, many things have already been tried.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Pull the engine harness from the 95 and swap it in... I think there is something hiding within the harness that's causing this issue...

Hell it could be the interior harness as well I have no clue at this point.

This sounds like Geoff's skip he got after stalling that was only solved after he went to OBDII and replaced his entire harness, in and out.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

I have one word for that.

Ugh.

lol

Sure you don't want to visit? :P It would only take you what, a few hours? lol

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

If I had a few hours to spare I might take you up on that offer but I don't even know when I'll be able to take a crap next... My weekends are packed and I'm stuck at work during the week and I can't take any time off due to being in the middle of a MFG software implantation.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Ummmmm....I'm thinking. I don't know though. It's definitely a problem in a wire somewhere. They can be a real bitch to find though.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

disconnect the alternator and see what happens... Both the plug and the lug wire... just for shits and giggles...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I wonder if a 5v reference wire is screwy. That will skew the reading the ECM sees from multiple sensors even though the sensors are functioning properly.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Oh I like that one Woody, there are only few of them, so it would be an easy check.

Just for fun....did you check the fuse panel(fuses and wiring)?

keep'em flying!
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

3X00-Modified wrote:If I had a few hours to spare I might take you up on that offer but I don't even know when I'll be able to take a crap next... My weekends are packed and I'm stuck at work during the week and I can't take any time off due to being in the middle of a MFG software implantation.
Well, we have plenty of time to plan that... LOL Maybe I will do the engine swap/harness/transmission rebuild all in the same weekend. :P Though to be honest, if I'm going to swap the harness, I will probably make the effort and go with one out of a 96, though the 95 harness is right here... Who knows.

woody90gtz wrote:Ummmmm....I'm thinking. I don't know though. It's definitely a problem in a wire somewhere. They can be a real bitch to find though.
LOL
3X00-Modified wrote:disconnect the alternator and see what happens... Both the plug and the lug wire... just for shits and giggles...
I can try that, but not sure what it will prove. It is charging the system good though.
woody90gtz wrote:I wonder if a 5v reference wire is screwy. That will skew the reading the ECM sees from multiple sensors even though the sensors are functioning properly.
Where is that wire and what color is it, etc. Would that also affect the gauges like it does when I turn the exterior lights on?
Money pit Beretta wrote:Oh I like that one Woody, there are only few of them, so it would be an easy check.

Just for fun....did you check the fuse panel(fuses and wiring)?
LOL No, I haven't technically. This has been building up, its not like it came on suddenly, if that makes sense, but yeah, I can check those too.