Back to Berettas after 15+ years

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
Money pit Beretta

Re: Back to Berettas after 15+ years

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Damn water leaks, after a good amount of work(not as much as you) I still have one.

keep'em flying!
EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

I probably still have a leak somewhere too bud, time will tell. Can always re-drill the drain holes in the floor, lol

EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

image.jpg
So while we're on the subject of leaks: I get to work this morning and as I walk away from the car, I turn to take a look at what I have spent the last 2 months of free time thrashing on, and uh oh, green stuff pouring out!
Heater core, the one thing I didn't mess with, lol. Looks like it should be possible to bypass it in the parking lot. Not too many auto parts stores in Amish country though.

themixer

Post by themixer »

i hate heater core failure, it always seems to happen at the worst times

EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

Exactly, I just had the interior out, etc. I thought about replacing it "while I was at it", but where do you draw the line?
Worked out OK, I took an extended lunch and walked over to the Amish hardware store next door. They had 5/8" heater hose and clamps so i bypassed it in the parking lot. I doubt their buggies have heater hoses, but I'm sure glad theyn had what I needed.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

What did you use for sealant? I haven't had luck with any air dry stuff long-term. A friend of mine told me about 2-part epoxy seam sealer and the stuff is awesome! Just FYI.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

Its called Lord Fusor 800EZ.
http://ww2.lord.com/emea/products-and-s ... eradhesive

I agree with you on the awesomeness of the 2-part stuff.

My only reasoning for using the 1-part is workability time since the drivetrain, rack & pinion, and all that jazz were still in the car. The 2part stuff "kicks off" pretty quick from what I have read. The stuff I used came highly recommended on an autobody forum, so I figured wth?

Don't worry, I'll be back on here whining when I have to re-do it lol

EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

Well last weekend I replaced the heater core and hoses, not a bad job if you take the seats out. Man was I sore the next day though.
I've put about 400 miles on 'er since I got it back on the road, 24mpg on my first tank and that was with a clogged air filter (went to advance and they didn't have one, not surprising). We'll see how it does with that and a couple suspicious vacuum lines replaced. One was actually completely disconnected, I'm sure I knocked it off during my parking lot heater bypass.
IMG_1524.jpg
Ohh yes, original plastic tubes. Lasted 23 years! You can see the other tube has a crack in it as well.

Next up is the pass side strut mount, rattling and throwing me all over the road. I found a screamin' deal on rockauto (thanks to this site) $40 shipped for the mount, bearing, and isolators, Gabriel closeout.

I went this route because I need to stop reading on this forum, lol. I can't stop thinking about canucks and koni cartridge conversions. I decided to just do a minimum repair and drive the car while I save cash and work on convincing SWMBO that these parts are "bad" and must be replaced. (kidding, she's very cool).

As I posted in Suspensions, the car sits at 26-1/2 all around currently. Wayyy too high compared to all the cool Berettas on this site. This is kinda my work car though, so I'm concerned about the buckboard aspect.

I'm going to do some more reading here and check out other members rides, and then I'll have a plan for when the drivers side mount goes.

EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

Last Saturday I replaced the pass side strut mount, I bought Gabriel parts at RA, manufacturer closeout. I got the mount kit and spring insulator for $40 shipped. I posted details of the job in the Suspensions category.
IMG_1525.jpg
Original mount, you can see a date of 92 on it.
IMG_1534.jpg
All done. Yes, I like to use never-seez.
IMG_1533.jpg
I bought this Moog problem solver sway bar link at Advance. Seemed like a good deal at $11, with poly bushings. Didn't even think about it until I got home, and then I realized it was only one. I thought it was a set. Oops. I didn't really understand the problem solver aspect of it, it has a special nut that threads down in to the bushing as opposed to just being on top of the washer. It also has a solid spacer instead of the rolled steel one with the seam that most kits have. I don't see why this would be advantageous, but I put it on and it works well.
If I would have known that it was only a single link, I would have just got the energy suspension kit, but live and learn. I was just focused on getting the car back on the road at that point.

Prior to replacing the mount, the steering wheel would almost get yanked out of my hand when you would hit certain bumps, especially cornering. I also was experiencing a constant rattling that seemed to be coming from the pass side strut tower area of the car.

The mount helped the bump-tracking, but I still have the rattling sound. I wouldn't be surprised if its the strut itself. Who in there right mind replaces only one of the strut mounts, and then re-uses the original 23 year old strut? Lol
As I explained previously, I'm still trying to decide what I want from the suspension so that's why I band-aid'ed it. From what I read here, aftermarket struts don't seem to last unless you do the bilstein mitsu cartridges.

EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

Rubbed 'er down with a clay bar, and then borrowed an oscillating buffer from my friend. He works at a detailing supplies company, he gave me some polish called Sonnax EX04 to use. Never heard of it, but it made the car look a little better. He said the paint is pretty dead, as to be expected considering the age.
IMG_1537.jpg
IMG_1542.jpg
IMG_1536.jpg
IMG_1541.jpg
IMG_1539.jpg

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Looks great from 50' i bet!

_________
-------------
EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

1988GTU wrote:Looks great from 50' i bet!
Lol dead-on, man! That's all I was going for...for now.

I have most of the tools and facilities for doing an overall on it, just not right now. I have a long-term resto going (1970 MGB, little British roadster).

EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

70 degrees in the Hall of Fame City on Saturday! Washed up the car, I hadn't had a chance to since we got back from Ocean City in Oct.

Wheel well gaps? I'm not sure if I can put lowering springs on with the wheels I have (came with the car) 225-45-17 Potenza tires.
Right now with 2 people in the car if I hit dips in the highway I can hear tire rubbing in the back. I think that it is just draggin-ass syndrome with the 24 year old springs, and with stiffer springs, even lowered, it won't be any worse.
This car is a daily driver in the summer months so I don't want to give up driveability.
So I have some measurements and some thinking to do. I know wheel offset is discussed on this site so that will help.
Attachments
IMG_1708.jpg

EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

Its been a while since I posted, I've just been enjoying the car as-is. I oil-sprayed it in the fall and kept it out of the winter weather. The a/c that my dad and I vacc'd out and charged with old-ass flea market R12 is still freezing cold!

I drive it to work most days, we've put over 10k miles on it and its been great. I took it for an alignment, the camber had never been adjusted! They had to take the knock outs out of the struts.

It still needs the suspension done, its a real handful. The steering wheel shakes when you hit bumps, memory steer, etc. The bj's and tie rod ends are tight so I'm not concerned with safety. The tires are just about done too.

I really would like to do some things to it but its not in the cards financially. Its not hurting it, so I will fix it up when I can.

My main focus is the restoration of my '70 MGB. Heavy in to the bodywork, so that kind of takes over your shop completely. Everything is covered with a fine primer/ bondo sanding dust. Its hard to believe such a small car can completely take over my shop. The Beretta has to sit outside sadly.
Attachments
IMG_1750.jpg
IMG_1748.jpg
IMG_1745.jpg

MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

Keep an eye out on rockauto for theit closeout deals had someone get set of struts for 35 shipped

93 GT cammed 3500 TORSEN, headers,intake,wilwood,poly/delrin mounts, 2.5 S.S,Exhaust,dickman kits,GTUspoiler,Euro headlights-tails-mirrors-fender flares-spoiler,Intrax/Koni,91+blk interior,rr disk swap,s.s.clutch line