New to me 95 Beretta GT

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
sspaulding

New to me 95 Beretta GT

Post by sspaulding »

I just got my first Beretta. My room mate has 2 of them that are just awesome cars and well I finally got one of my own.

its a 95 Beretta GT (according to the VIN) with the 3100 v6 with 164121km's on it. apparently i'm the 3rd owner of it and well it wasn't taken care of the greatest over the last little bit.

Needs a bit of TLC and some suspension work, but right now the power steering rack is leaking so waiting on that to get in so I can replace that and the out tie rod ends are pooched so will be doing those at the same time as well.

plans for this ol' girl is to get the paint fixed so she looks good again, get the windows tinted, fix the interior (its definitely seen better days), better sounding exhaust, lower it and some rims, also try and find some good looking body kit for it.

for now though, she's got good bones with very little rust, no leaks, a slight tick on start up, and some other minor suspension work that needs to be done.

I"m quite looking forward to bringing this ol' girl back to life over the next little bit.

Rettax3

Re: New to me 95 Beretta GT

Post by Rettax3 »

Nice find! Welcome to the addiction! Berettas can be like potato-chips -sometimes one just isn't enough! It sounds like you have some good plans for this car. Just watch out for the lower intake manifold gaskets on those M-code 3100s, they tend to crack and leak coolant into the engine oil, replace them with Fel-Pro, Dorman, or Victor-Reinz steel-and-rubber ones, and those engines can run forever.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
sspaulding

Post by sspaulding »

thanks Rettax3.

ya, i'm quite familiar with the 3100 and the notorious intake leaks lol. used to work in a shop and 2 of my brothers are GM mechanics. nothing is leaking at the moment motor wise, so i don't see it being a problem in the near future.

going to be doing the power steering this weekend since the rack is in today, and the tie rod ends will be picked up tomorrow.

banzai92gt

Post by banzai92gt »

hahah this is my roommate and best friend, he caught the addiction

1995 Z26 - 3500 5spd TURBO
sspaulding

Post by sspaulding »

lol ya after I drove the 95 a few times, I was hooked!!!

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

That's a pretty clean car by the looks. I'd say drop it with some 17s, but leave the stock base body. They're almost extinct. Everyone does the Z or U kit these days.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
sspaulding

Post by sspaulding »

thanks woody90gtz, I think I got a pretty good deal on it. she's got good bones thats for sure.

first things first before modding is getting her back in good running shape. right now, i've got the steering rack, outer tie rod ends, inner tie rod bushings and stabilizer end leaks to replace this weekend. then she's atleast not leaking anything anymore and whining as I drive down the road lol.

still not 100% on what to do body wise, but I got plenty of time to make those decisions. I know rims and lowering will come before that though.

sspaulding

Post by sspaulding »

so at the expense of my back...banzai, myself and a few friends replaced the power steering rack, inner tie rod bushings, outer tie rods and sway bar end links. I now have power steering again and it no longer leaks. Now to figure out what to tackle next.

sspaulding

Post by sspaulding »

old rack

new rack

brother disconnecting the steering column from the rack.

and the old parts

and the source of the last remaining power steering leak (that is now taken care of)

banzai92gt

Post by banzai92gt »

What a pain in the butt this was! not looking forward to doing it on my 95..

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

Wow I did the same job on my 96 Beretta a few week ago, 3100 v6.
The Steering rack is not a fun job.

I found that you can unbolt the master brake from the booster, lean it forwards with a bungee and then unbolt the booster, and the booster can be worked out. this way you never have to open the brake lines. I also had the wiper motor removed.
Once I did that, the rest was easier but still a tight fit.
Just don't lean it too far forward so you don't kink the lines or risk air in the master. I made sure the brake fluid was topped off.

banzai92gt

Post by banzai92gt »

We just loosened off the brake master and took out the wiper motor. came out and went back in pretty easy.

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

ahh. Yah I took the lines off, needed space for the wrench. lol

banzai92gt

Post by banzai92gt »

Ah, I have air ratchet and shizz

sspaulding

Post by sspaulding »

ya my back was not happy after all of that.

GT Indy, ya just loosening the booster a bit did the trick for us. we did have to disconnect one of the balance lines simply because someone before replaced a line and then put it through the rack and line rather then around it.

honestly the hardest part was getting the steering column lined back up to the collar for the rack. everything else was just slow going because no room to do anything lol.