From backyard to Berettafest

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
Pdog62279@gmail.com

From backyard to Berettafest

Post by Pdog62279@gmail.com »

Essex, Mass
Essex, Mass
:D so, I bought my first Beretta in 1999, when I was still a teenager. Dressed it up, but a year later it got totalled. 17 years later, I decided to live my youth again, researched online and found the exact same car in Ohio! After a 12 hour drive, I picked it up and took it back to Massachusetts!
Over the next year, it got quite the cleanup( not including getting fixed after a someone hit me)
Full tune up, new iridium spark plugs, wires, built an air intake, straight piped exhaust, no catalytic converter, spoiler, 2 10" subs in the rear with 600watt amp, z26 rims, gas door, new rocker panels. See what I can do next...
Attachments
Gloucester, mass
Gloucester, mass

ifixalot

Re: From backyard to Berettafest

Post by ifixalot »

The car looks very nice. Do you really need straight pipes and no cat to go a little bit faster?
IMHO, too many people take off pollution controls and run straight pipes, fart can mufflers etc.
They drive around polluting and make all kinds of noise for miles around like they are living in a vacuum.
I live 800 feet from the highway. It wasn't bad 30 years ago but now I can't sleep with my window open at night because of all the noise.
But hey whatever floats your boat.

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

ifixalot wrote:The car looks very nice. Do you really need straight pipes and no cat to go a little bit faster?
IMHO, too many people take off pollution controls and run straight pipes, fart can mufflers etc.
They drive around polluting and make all kinds of noise for miles around like they are living in a vacuum.
I live 800 feet from the highway. It wasn't bad 30 years ago but now I can't sleep with my window open at night because of all the noise.
From my experience no cat and straight pipe doesn't make the car go faster, it only makes it loud and obnoxious.
I'm okay with a converter, for me its the EGR that I don't like, they don't help with pollution and they cause build up in the engine.

Summit racing sells high flow converters, works just as well and flows like a straight pipe.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

That is a nice looking Beretta -I like it! Nice color, and the Z wheels really set it off nicely. What muffler did you go with? You said straight-pipe, but I can see a can hiding back there, unless you removed that later?

Just my opinion on this one, coupled with a few facts -all the engines pollute. Catalytic converters convert some of the pollutants from one type to another -they don't completely eliminate anything. Not saying they are bad at all, but trying to keep a perspective. Cats also add a minuscule amount of inefficiency to the system, which must be overcome by, you guessed it, more gas! No cat equals smelly exhaust though... :roll: I am not a fan of loud, unless it sounds good, but that is always a matter of opinion too.

The rest of it is almost like the Prius owners (sorry to stereo-type) who complain about the pollution caused by older cars (like ours!) that don't get 40+ MPG... Everyone has their own line they draw in the grey areas that we all live in. I prefer to NOT judge where other peoples' lines are placed. Just me though.

Basically, I would not be too critical of other people's cars, unless they are impacting me personally. :pardon:

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

Rettax3 wrote:That is a nice looking Beretta -I like it! Nice color, and the Z wheels really set it off nicely. What muffler did you go with? You said straight-pipe, but I can see a can hiding back there, unless you removed that later?

Just my opinion on this one, coupled with a few facts -all the engines pollute. Catalytic converters convert some of the pollutants from one type to another -they don't completely eliminate anything. Not saying they are bad at all, but trying to keep a perspective. Cats also add a minuscule amount of inefficiency to the system, which must be overcome by, you guessed it, more gas! No cat equals smelly exhaust though... :roll: I am not a fan of loud, unless it sounds good, but that is always a matter of opinion too.

The rest of it is almost like the Prius owners (sorry to stereo-type) who complain about the pollution caused by older cars (like ours!) that don't get 40+ MPG... Everyone has their own line they draw in the grey areas that we all live in. I prefer to NOT judge where other peoples' lines are placed. Just me though.

Basically, I would not be too critical of other people's cars, unless they are impacting me personally. :pardon:
I think its so small though that its almost not worth debating. I agree, most noise is perspective, music or car exhaust. lol.

lol Prius. For what they cost, I can buy a bigger, safer, and more reliable car and still get the same or better mpg.

heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

This car was at BFest this year in Milwaukee and it was super clean.

You did a nice job on the car, keep up the good work!

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

Pdog62279@gmail.com wrote:
20180916_115208.jpg
:D so, I bought my first Beretta in 1999, when I was still a teenager. Dressed it up, but a year later it got totalled. 17 years later, I decided to live my youth again, researched online and found the exact same car in Ohio! After a 12 hour drive, I picked it up and took it back to Massachusetts!
Over the next year, it got quite the cleanup( not including getting fixed after a someone hit me)
Full tune up, new iridium spark plugs, wires, built an air intake, straight piped exhaust, no catalytic converter, spoiler, 2 10" subs in the rear with 600watt amp, z26 rims, gas door, new rocker panels. See what I can do next...
Car looks awesome, I'm glad you found exactly what you wanted, and it sounds like it's in good hands.

New rocker panels you say? That's quite an undertaking! If you have any pics of that progress I'm sure I'm not the only member who would like to see.

Pdog62279@gmail.com

Thanks! I didnt do the rockers, the auto body did. I should've taken a pic before but I didnt. Needed a lot of work, the previous owner was a high school student that didn't take the best of care in it. Always something new to do to it!

Pdog62279@gmail.com

ifixalot wrote:The car looks very nice. Do you really need straight pipes and no cat to go a little bit faster?
It does accelerate quicker, sounds better, but long drives, it can be a bit heavy on the ears. Lol

Pdog62279@gmail.com

Rettax3 wrote:That is a nice looking Beretta -I like it! Nice color, and the Z wheels really set it off nicely. What muffler did you go with? You said straight-pipe, but I can see a can hiding back there, unless you removed that later?

I put just a sport muffler. It needs some sort of muffler to pass inspection in Massachusetts, just some noise kept down. :)

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

Pdog62279@gmail.com wrote:

I put just a sport muffler. It needs some sort of muffler to pass inspection in Massachusetts, just some noise kept down. :)
If I could I would put like 10 mufflers in series on my Beretta. lol. :D

Some mufflers/resonators keep it loud while tuning the sound to make it sound better than straight pipe, Summit racing sells one nice aftermarket stuff that can be made to work on a Beretta.

Pdog62279@gmail.com

I might change it again. That was just to get it on to pass inspection. I might put glasspack on there. We'll see...

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

The sound reminded me of my old Z26 with a Catco and Borla. I got pulled over all the time in that thing. Haha

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Pdog62279@gmail.com

woody90gtz wrote:The sound reminded me of my old Z26 with a Catco and Borla. I got pulled over all the time in that thing. Haha
%) actually on the way to berettafest this year, I got stopped in new York for loud exhaust. Lol. Just got verbal warning..."something wrong with the exhaust? "