Project 91 "SS" 3400/5spd

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
woody90gtz

Re: Project 91 "SS" 3400/5spd

Post by woody90gtz »

I like playing with RaceRender so I bought the pro version. So much more customization available. I may even go a step further with it.

https://youtu.be/Ueb23fwhQos

Oh yeah, everybody ran like crap at the track cause it was hot as balls. But a DA calculator says it would be a 13.8@100 corrected. I was hoping 13.5@100+ for this build so maybe.

Bunch more pics from Bfest and Carlisle coming. But this is all I got for tonight.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Pic dump from Carlisle and Berettafest. Weather sucked ass for both. Cold and rainy for Carlisle and boiling hot in Milwaukee...but the car did about 2500 miles without any major issues.

Stopped to get donuts for fat ass like always. haha

#glamping in the 8-person tent

Trimmed my autocross time down to 75sec. Video a couple posts back. Still only took 7th out of 11 in the shootout, but at least the margin to the winner was closer. (A NastyZ guy won it this year - he took 2nd last year). Strapped in the tablet to keep it from flying around. haha

Bought the wife a new car. (To be fair, there is exactly a 99.9% chance it will not be her new car...1000 tickets)

Spent a while shooting the crap with a guy who races his Camaro a lot. Cool dude and nasty car. I love the race vibe. SBC too...they are almost rare in competitive Camaros these days!

Took 2nd place at the show. Dead last!

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Hit Summit on the way to Bfest cause it was only another 45 minutes or so. That place is awesome...took me like an hour to get through it. Good a place as any for a road trip fluids check. I did think about leaking my own fluids all over their Summit paint...

I thought we were gonna die when we saw a whole trailer full of human-eating Mustangs, but luckily we were in the car and not pedestrians. Got to Bfest and finally found Sparks! It's actually bottled in Milwaukee.

Drag racing was hot and sticky with a DA of 2500 so everybody ran slow. But I did end up with the fastest NA time. 14.30@97.6 with a 2.1 60'. (Video a couple posts back). That is a new best for this car, although not by much. Definitely going to head to Lebanon later this year in some cooler weather. I want it to be deep in the 13s at 100+. I did find a pretty sweet Aussie SS with a turbski.

Drove home with Jay and Lisa most of the way and got some rolling highway shots. Love doing those.

Wifey even drove it a few hours. She won't admit it, but I think she liked having double the HP her car does. haha

Had a sale on bugs so I picked up a few of those too.
Last edited by woody90gtz on Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

That looks like the Summit Racing in Akron Ohio. Is that where you stopped?
I live like 40 minutes from it. I like to get car parts from them because they always have quality stuff.

They have a car show At the Akron location every so often, They also do the Super Summit event ever year in Norwalk Ohio, free autocross and rag racing, and they have vendors and race cars on display, monster trucks, etc.

Ohio gets lots of bugs as well.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

GT_Indy wrote: They also do the Super Summit event ever year in Norwalk Ohio, free autocross and rag racing,
Man, I do not even want to know... :D
Thanks for the photos, Woody. Those of us with priorities so bass-ackwards that we cannot even get out to a BFest (yet!) need something to live vicariously through! It looks like you guys had a good time. :good:

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

Rettax3 wrote:
GT_Indy wrote: They also do the Super Summit event ever year in Norwalk Ohio, free autocross and rag racing,
Man, I do not even want to know... :D
Thanks for the photos, Woody. Those of us with priorities so bass-ackwards that we cannot even get out to a BFest (yet!) need something to live vicariously through! It looks like you guys had a good time. :good:
:burn: LOL. I meant Drag Racing. :P

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Yeah that's the Ohio Summit in Tallmadge. We parked right about where Roadkill did the engine swap in their El Camino.

I was excited to autocross at Bfest but skipped it because of the heat. Drag racing was miserable and I knew racing from 7-4 would be even worse...

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

Now I'm going to be watching roadkill episodes till I find where they did the engine swap at summit. lol.

Yah its pretty hot outside this year. I think its been record breaking heat.
Now all I want is record breaking snow fall during this next winter. Last winters snow fall was disapointing.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

GT_Indy wrote:That looks like the Summit Racing in Akron Ohio. Is that where you stopped?
I live like 40 minutes from it. I like to get car parts from them because they always have quality stuff.

They have a car show At the Akron location every so often, They also do the Super Summit event ever year in Norwalk Ohio, free autocross and rag racing, and they have vendors and race cars on display, monster trucks, etc.

Got ya beat, it's only 25-30 minutes to summit for me!

Good pics, looks like Carlisle and BFest were a good time. I'm always down with drag racing.

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

EPfiffner wrote:
GT_Indy wrote:That looks like the Summit Racing in Akron Ohio. Is that where you stopped?

Got ya beat, it's only 25-30 minutes to summit for me!
Lucky. You should come to super summit next year, free racing once a year.

bonecrrusher

Post by bonecrrusher »

Oh snap a Turbo SS!

I missed that detail - that looks like a Next Gen built turbo kit.

Dude ran 9's on the stock bottom end. He sent it and blew up that bottom end, lol.

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z51
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Haven't been in here in a while.

Spent some time researching and trying to figure out my knock retard. I was 95% sure it was all false. Obviously false for in-gear decel during DFCO with zero fuel injected...and it would make sense from drivetrain vibration on initial clutch engagement and shifts. As RPMs climb WOT it decayed. I didn't have any under heavy throttle and low RPM intentionally trying to cause knock, but there was some at tip in at low-ish RPM while cruising.

I took 3 degrees out and filled up with 93 and the knock didn't change...it's exactly the same. So I've decided it's false. I put timing back where it was and set the max knock retard to 0.5 degrees. I also changed the tstat from 195 to 180 and rescaled the fans just as a little extra insurance.

I'm planning on getting back to the strip later this year with some better weather. And since Tyler was parting out his beater I got his drag bags and put them in. Hopefully they help with the weight transfer.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

Yeah almost everything sold from the POS.. Just have some brake light bulbs left.

1 Of 1 Street Legal Centri S/c Beretta's In Existance
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I had a strut mount crap the bed on me, and it gave me an excuse to tear it all apart and try an idea I've had for some time...cutting down my Eibach coils. I'm too cheap to do coilovers and the car just sits higher than I like. This cost me about $5.

The front is pretty straight forward...the coil locates at the bottom and the diameter at the top is all the same. Easy peasy - just cut the top half. The rear, however, locates with different diameter coils on top and bottom...so you can't cut either end without losing your alignment. So I took some PVC to work and sawed, glued and lathed them to be new coil locators for the top rear. Now the top rear coil locates via the ID of the spring and not the oversized OD.

Now I've got the same DD ride quality at a lower stance for almost free. Theoretically by cutting the spring, the rate is increased slightly, especially since these Eibachs are progressive rate and the top is the lighter rate area. But I'll admit I didn't notice a bit of difference in the ride at all. I'd like to go a little lower looks-wise, but I'm at the edge of what I feel comfortable with for axle alignment. I took a GoPro video and the axle almost aligns straight under hard acceleration, but not quite. Any more drop will make that worse.

I also changed my drag bag install to work better. The instructions tell you to poke the air lines through the coils sideways, but it looks a lot better going down through the center of the perch.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube