It's The Little Things That Count, My 1987 Beretta GT

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
Money pit Beretta

Re: My '87 GT (56K NOT RECOMMENDED)

Post by Money pit Beretta »

I'll keep my eye out for some headlight seals. The funny thing is that I was going to say that you could use some. I have three sets, one on my car(that I had to reglue), one that is in great shape(my back up) and another that needs to be reglued. They all have little chunks out of them near where the hood touches(that is the norm). I used 3m's Windo-Weld to hold the support bars on(reglue). That stuff is not cheap.
The seals are rare in my area, I grab any that I find.
You can sand out the headlights and use a plastic polish to get the haze out. Sorry, almost everybody needs tails and a filler.

keep'em flying!
Wanako

Post by Wanako »

Money pit Beretta wrote:I'll keep my eye out for some headlight seals. The funny thing is that I was going to say that you could use some. I have three sets, one on my car(that I had to reglue), one that is in great shape(my back up) and another that needs to be reglued. They all have little chunks out of them near where the hood touches(that is the norm). I used 3m's Windo-Weld to hold the support bars on(reglue). That stuff is not cheap.
The seals are rare in my area, I grab any that I find.
You can sand out the headlights and use a plastic polish to get the haze out. Sorry, almost everybody needs tails and a filler.
thanks man. If you find the full headlights in good condition and with the seals, let me know. Mine are beyond plastic polish. There are some small spider cracks at the front. It's time for some new ones. Also, will those seals fit on all the headlights or only the 87-88s?

Money pit Beretta

They fit all Berettas. Though they could be a little thicker on the bottom, they seal up great on the top and sides. Eyeliner? Yeah I have called it that too(lol). They go very well with the purple paint on my car.
I use to have a link to a place that sold new headlights. I look around the web later. They may be made in China though and I'm not sure if I would trust them.
It is cold here and spits snow one a week, so it may be awhile before I can get to the JY.

keep'em flying!
Wanako

Post by Wanako »

thanks man, don't worry take your time, I'm in no hurry.

Money pit Beretta

Here is that site that has the what I think to be China stuff if you want to look. http://www.theautochannel.com/autoparts ... items.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

keep'em flying!
Wanako

Re: It's The Little Things That Count, My 1987 Beretta GT

Post by Wanako »

I got some new(er) and significantly BETTER rear black filler panels courtesy of ClonedGTZ. I was getting tired of my old Rustoleum Black fillers and they were starting to go really bad. I also replaced my yellowed and cracked beyond repair front headlights and replaced them with some new ones from a 95 from the yard which were in great shape, but just needed a good buffing and polish. I still think I need to work on them more, but look MUCH better than before.

OLD:

NEW(ER):

I'm loving this. Although, I've seen you guys polish them up and make them REAL nice and shiny. How do you guys get the scratches out and make them look so nice??

Here are my headlights. I also found another car with good rubber headlight seals, took them off, and put them on the new lights with slight modification.

Old, broken and nasty:

Newer, unbroken and not as nasty:

I also took off the damn Buckteeth foglights, at everyones request and also my discretion :D, and also took off the sagging front splitter that looked bad. Now it looks much better I think.

Next comes the fixing of the lifters and I have a new eggcrate, also thanks to ClonedGTZ, new taillights to replace my sad looking old ones and fix that damn gap in my rear bumper. I'll probably need to get a new cam to replace it along with the lifters, and most likely get a new chip from WOT-Tech so I can convert it to Speed Density and get an Intake in there. I've had my K&N Cone Air Filter sitting around for a long time now. :P

Sadly with all the driving I do with her, some parts of the paint have begun to chip from rocks and lots of L.A. people who can't drive worth a damn. Chad knows, he saw this first hand. It's inevitable, but I plan to get a bottle (or four) of touch up paint to take care of those spots.

Money pit Beretta

Damn man those seals look better than the ones I have. Where did you get the headlights?

keep'em flying!
Wanako

Post by Wanako »

The headlights I also found at the junkyard. They were all foggy and bleh, but that can always be fixed, I was looking for uncracked lights. So I did a major buffing on those lights. As far as the seals, I got them from an '88 at the yard too. I saw their condition and I couldn't pass it up.

Money pit Beretta

Cool man. I have never found anything that looks as good as what you have. I'm going to start looking for a new JY. What did you use to buff?

keep'em flying!
Wanako

Post by Wanako »

Wetsanded with 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000 and polished it with Meguiar's PlastiX. Loved the results. Although I might go back and redo the lights in 2000, to get the minor imperfections out.

Money pit Beretta

Thanks for the info. I put alot of work into mine but there is still some flaking. Hell I even used some 320 grit to start with.
Did you get that K&N in yet?

keep'em flying!
Wanako

Post by Wanako »

No I haven't yet. I'm going to do that as soon as I get the chip from WOT-Tech. I also got an intake house from I think it was a Chevy something Eurosport that had no MAF so the hose extends from the throttle body all the way to the Circle Air Box just like mine. I'm going to replace my Air Box (Circle, whatever) with the Cone Filter. I'll make it rather stock looking but it'll still be a great improvement over stock.

BUUUT Before I do all of this I need to finish repairing the motor. I had to replace the hydraulic lifters. I was hearing the nastiest clanking/clicking sound and many of the dudes at Bstuff agreed that it was the lifters.

I'm also expecting new(er) taillights I bought and hopefully will be arriving on Monday, to replace my broken and busted tailights.

I've also got a 50% off sale going on at the junkyard tomorrow, so I'm gonna go get me some black interior parts from a Beretta I found a couple of days ago. I'm going to combine the parts (in a tasteful manner) into my own tan interior. I'm gonna have parts from the two rarest Beretta interior colors in together in one car. HAHAHA! :D Call it blasphemy if you will, but I think It should come out awesome. :burn:
Last edited by Wanako on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Money pit Beretta

I would say that black and tan done right would look real good. Yes they are very rare. I have only found one car with black in the JY. I haven't ever found a tan.
Your intake set up sounds good. Be sure to get a K&N cone.
How about a ported upper/lower from WOT-Tech? Your working on the lifters anyway. It's just a thought.

keep'em flying!
Wanako

Post by Wanako »

Got the parts today and will be posting new pics of it once I get it installed.
Yea, the cone I already have, and have had it for the longest time now, but haven't done aynthing with it. As far as the intake manifolds, I won't do anything else performance-wise to the engine. It's an old 2.8 that I just need to keep running until I can retire her from DD duties and then REALLY get to work on it with a 3500 swap.

Wanako

Post by Wanako »

Well, it's been a while since I've updated this thing.

Unfortunately it's not a revival update like everyone expects.

As of today I declare her dead at 254,856 miles.
She served my family and me well for over 2 decades. She was one of the oldest living examples of her kind, but eventually the passage of time came knocking at her door (or cylinder wall in this case). That 2.8 3-speed galloped valiantly until the very end. It was a proud thing. I take off my hat in respect to her illustrious life.

As most of you know, I loved this car dearly. To me it was never "just a car". It had a personality of it's own. I literally grew up in this car. My mother, myself and many of my family members learned to drive in it. Life just does not allow me to continue.

I guess for now, it's out with the old and in with the new.