January 2010 Project Begins (Raspberry)

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
Barry
Global Moderator

Re: January 2010 Project Begins (Raspberry)

Post by Barry »

woody90gtz wrote:Look at that nasty automatic! It's nice that you have the time and place to do a maintenance teardown. I'd kill for that garage about now.

My 6spd traps higher than your auto... even if I can't launch the damn thing! I feel you on the nitrous though, it does work better with a slushbox. No WOT 0 WOT 0 WOT 0 WOT.
You lift your foot when you shift? Wtf? :D

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

This is why you inspect performance builds... To prevent failures.

Just a crappy iPhone pic right now, I'll get better ones later. Every exhaust valve hit a piston, and I'm thinking that happened when I had my really sloppy dead timing chain... and ran 6750 RPM... but oh well.. The hits do not look new, and the exhaust valves don't have marks so I'm assuming it happened once. I'll be putting a little recess in those areas on the pistons when it goes back together. I don't think the valves are hurt any but we'll see.

Also noticed the 2nd and 3rd cam bearing once again started to come apart, not enough to cause any damage but you can see some of the material getting ready to break away... Time for some real SBC cam bearings... maybe those will hold up better.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Wow! That's scary. Any chance of rod stretch? Did you pull the pan off yet to check rod bearings?

That's nuts about the cam bearings too.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Checking rod bearings now.

I've heard these bottom ends are good well beyond 6500 RPM, so I doubt that the rods stretched... I know for a fact that my timing chain had almost 2-3 degrees worth of play in it, and with 240 duration and 568 lift on the exhaust, I'm not surprised it touched. Its straight up failure of a timing component that made the two meet... This is why I spent way more money on the chain and sprockets this time... and they look perfect right now.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Did this motor ever see a udp? I know you had it on red, don't remember if pinky got it

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

If you had a lift, you'd be set!

Looking like great progress 3X00-Modified!

_________
-------------
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Barry wrote:Did this motor ever see a udp? I know you had it on red, don't remember if pinky got it
This engine and cam never saw a UDP, neither did the timing set that got lunched in it... I think that was just due to bad cheap parts. Pinky never had the UDP in it, and the only time this MOTOR saw a UDP was with the Milzy cam for 15k miles, and I'm almost positive that cam is not responsible for this since it only had 206 duration and 486 or something lift.

Checked rod bearings and a main, and I couldn't be happier with those... They still have the lines on them so all is good with that, and the bores looked ok right now, but I did not remove any pistons. I'll pull those after I get a chance to check the deck height for rod stretch. I don't have a tool to do that here.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
IsaacHayes

Post by IsaacHayes »

Yeah the high RPM plus the 240 dur and 568 lift with a stretched chain would be a combination of extremes to cause the interference.

I hope the valves are ok. In my mind I can picture them bending and messing up the seats, the valve guides getting messed up, rockers ripping threads out of the heads, and other bad stuff LOL. But I guess typically just the valves get bent or survive most of the time and that's it?

My motor only has 215 dur and .531 lift on the exhaust, and I don't plan to take it past 6500, probably only to 6000 most of the time so I don't have to worry so much there. I'll probably have the rev limit set to 6600 or something.

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I don't think the valves are stretched, since I did a quick test and lit up the port with a flash light and I didn't see any light around the valve seat, so hopefully they are all set.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

What chain are you using now? What about a double roller, not wanting to mill the block?

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I'm using a GM chain, I had a Cloyes before and the sprocket got destroyed along with the chain stretching. I also Cryo treated this set so that should help it last... Currently it still looks brand new.

And No I don't want to mill stuff to make the double roller fit... you have to mill the crank and not the block so I'll stick to a stock setup till a single roller comes out.

Oh you cant complain about these bearings.

But these on the other hand... YUCK! second time this happened too... Time for SBC bearings.

Total destruction

Better pics of the pistons

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Well the lower end is obviously very solid looking at those pics.

As for the cam bearings... It looks like oil starvation BUT I dont see any blue spots signifing that they got too hot. Thats definatly strange to me. Maybe just cheap material?

The first piston smack looks pretty old based on the carbon build up. The second one looks alot more fresh unless its refelcting light in there.

I still have my blown up 3500 I should pull the cam and see how those bearings are. It has like 15k on it and never saw over 6100 rpm's. I know for a fact the timing chain looks perfect, but it should be, its a stock motor.

Money pit Beretta

What brand are those cam bearings? What happened to them? Milling the crank is a no, no. No way I'd do that.

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

The cam bearings were sealed power IIRC... I can't remember. Oil starvation would be more scoring, this set looks like the material started to separate or come apart, there is no discoloration. There are no marks on the cam itself either.

Barry the second hit was just as carboned up, its a light reflection that made it look fresh. They all look just as dark as the first one.

MPB this is what you have to do to the crank
http://60degreev6.com/forum/f96/good-ba ... ets-t40327" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

I had thoughts of getting a double roller, but that's out for sure now.
Hey I have something to ask and don't want to start a new topic. Is it possible to take the oil pump drive cover off without taking off the intakes? I think mine is leaking.
Last edited by Money pit Beretta on Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

keep'em flying!