Beretta 2017 Autocross Spec D-prepared

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
Koots

Re: Chevy Beretta FF

Post by Koots »

HAHA! That's hilarious, but very similar to my 2.2 Corsica. I didn't have a total plug explosion but something busted a few chunks out of the head surface where the HG was gone. Most of my cylinders are a bit too smooth for my liking, but the engine has 300,000kms and the rings are in one place...so what can I expect :P

It ran great for the shape the engine turned out to be in. I hope then I can tell you what mods are useful and what aren't LOL

Amateur

Post by Amateur »

So I finally had to throw on the all seasons to brace for the winter season in the Great Midwest (...despite the fact it was 60 today). My old tires where bald and demolished from autocross; on top of that, where made of a compound that would freeze in winter temps.
Then one thing led to another and i figured I buy some 16's to go with that while I'm at it.

Originally I wanted the Enkei RPF1's

But I did some research and read user reviews...as light as these are (13.7 lbs!), They don't hold up to daily driver use very well. Alot of people complained of the inside lip denting for the littlest pothole, and alot of people have gone through a few rims in a single year.
Alot has to do with the tire setup on a car, but I don't want to deal with fragile rims (and expensive ones at that!)
So I bought a super street Mag and found this ad in it:

That's all it took. The rims on that Honda S2k was like an instant, "got to have it now" moment.

They are Drag Dr-31's, and luckily weigh in at 17 lbs each for the 16x7, which is only a pound more than my current 15x7. I know some people on here run Drags too without any issues.

Just can't wait for spring to put on some lower profile grippy tires again.

Next stop on my project train: Neon rear disc conversion, bigger front sway bar, retrofitting old beretta A-arm setup for the del-alum bushings.

Koots

Post by Koots »

I'm not usually a fan of many aftermarket wheels, but those are a nice style that definitely compliments the car without being too showy.

Can't wait to see the changes.

Koots

Post by Koots »

I'm still painfully working away at my $100 beater to get it road legal. So I still haven't gotten it running and driving yet.

Finishing up patching up the holes in the floor and then I can coat the floor and underside with bed liner. Then I can put the interior back together.

Amateur

Post by Amateur »

^^It was a tough choice. It was either getting the Drags or cutting up the wheel wells for "hellaflush" 22 inchers. I think I made the right call lol.

At least you're making progress, that's what counts.

The hardest part is going to find the older style subframes to mount the control arms. all the rettas in my junkyard are new 95 or 96's. It's just the waiting game now for an older one to pop up on the lot.

95BerettaBase

Post by 95BerettaBase »

I like it! I'm a big fan of subtle touches to vehicles. Now you need to paint the lower plastic piece under the front bumper.

-1995 Chevy Beretta Base *SOLD*
-1998 Chevy Silverado 4x4
-2016 Chevy Silverado Z71
-2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide

1995 Chevy Beretta Base - 3100 V6 w/ 284,000 and still kickin'.
Koots

Post by Koots »

Amateur wrote:^^It was a tough choice. It was either getting the Drags or cutting up the wheel wells for "hellaflush" 22 inchers. I think I made the right call lol.

At least you're making progress, that's what counts.

The hardest part is going to find the older style subframes to mount the control arms. all the rettas in my junkyard are new 95 or 96's. It's just the waiting game now for an older one to pop up on the lot.
I might do that swap too, if I don't end up swapping to N-body front suspension. I've got a parts Malibu that's got a good suspension/brakes and I'll just use adaptors/spacers on the rear to fill out the big Corsica rear wheel wells.

BTW, Can't wait to see your car rip with improved front suspension and new sway bar :Yahoo!:

Amateur

Post by Amateur »

I like it! I'm a big fan of subtle touches to vehicles. Now you need to paint the lower plastic piece under the front bumper.
yeah, I noticed that too! I was playing around with the idea of buying a universal carbon fiber front splitter and trimming in to fit under the plastic ever so slightly for just a little more front downforce.

something like this, but sticking out way,way less.
I might do that swap too, if I don't end up swapping to N-body front suspension. I've got a parts Malibu that's got a good suspension/brakes and I'll just use adaptors/spacers on the rear to fill out the big Corsica rear wheel wells.

BTW, Can't wait to see your car rip with improved front suspension and new sway bar
I say do the n-body swap; I was toying with f body brakes up front. my wheels are dual pattern with 5x100 and 5x114.3...so it wouldn't work right seeing how those run 5x115 bolt pattern. No doubt I need bigger front brakes, but it looks like the wilwood cavalier ones will have to be it, even though they look a little thin.

I have 2 jobs now, so the cash flow is starting to come in so i can start heavily investing in the retta. next year, I'm trying to set it up for track usage instead of autocross. That means I need to balance out the cars handling to neutral, add front downforce, and put bigger brakes to handle hard laps without fade. nothing competitive, just for the fun of it.

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Wait, are you DD ing this car?

keep'em flying!
Amateur

Post by Amateur »

Sure am! My dad just moved to Iowa from Texas and needed a car to move around,so being the nice guy I am...looked at my stable ('07 kia rio w/ 60K miles----'95 Beretta w/171K miles) and decided that I can part with the Kia Rio. I sold it to him at a deep...deep discount for $3000. That leaves me with old trusty as my DD and that's fine by me. I feel naked without 2 cars in the driveway, so for my next one, i'm already eyeing me a Mazda Miata or an older BMW e30.

Money pit Beretta

So you plan to bolt those on only on race day? Those things won't last long in Iowa winters.

keep'em flying!
Amateur

Post by Amateur »

So you plan to bolt those on only on race day? Those things won't last long in Iowa winters.
The wheels are on there 24-7. I figure that this winter will be the same as last year, nice and mild. If push comes to shove, I can just get the wheels powder coated to fix any issues when the need arises.

on race day, the only thing I'm worried about is using to much NOS in the quarter mile and having my floorboard fall off as the engine program flashes this:

Koots

Post by Koots »

I'd clean em and keep a good coat of wax on them, that way they will resist as much of the salt and road grime as best as possible. Should make for a helluva lot less time spent cleaning your wheels and more time spent enjoying them.

Money pit Beretta

I should have said something about the brakes. But I left it open to anything,sorry.

keep'em flying!
themixer

Post by themixer »

Thank you for making this a beretta again, i last looked at this post when it was a Saturn