1994 chevy beretta z26

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
beretta

Re: 1994 chevy beretta z26

Post by beretta »

looks really clean.

power steering pump cant be more then $150 new. and easy to put on yourself, lots of people here could guide you how to change it and save yourself some cash rather then paying someone to do it.

you should be able to buy new exhaust pipe from the converter back for under 100 bucks and could be installed yourself using clamps if you have to. save yourself some cash that way and still get to keep driving that great looking car.

killaj131

Post by killaj131 »

See the problem is it is not the pump it self just what holds the fluid. The dude put fluid in it cause it look low so he did so and it came into the car on to my pedal and all over the floor then he said it also came out from under the car which I did see. He said that something blew out like some "pin" and that it was a hard spot to get to in order to fix it so it would cost between 5-600 for labor and parts....He said as he poored it out the jug is it would pretty much go stright through....I trust that mechanic cause we have been going there for about 20 years my mom said. But im going to go to another place and get a price cause I really want to keep this car lol.

SuzukiGhostRider

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

If you're talking about the power steering pump RESERVOIR or even the pump and reservoir, it's an EASY install. Someone is flat trying to rip you off hardcore. Shouldn't be more than 2 hours labor TOPS to replace that pump or reservoir. If it's the lines, it's STILL not that hard. Go to a different mechanic, you're being ripped off at your current wrenching place.....

Hope the car finds a good home if you sell it. MAB (Medium Adriatic Blue , strangely enough also my exact initials.... :D ) isn't getting any more uncommon.

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

You have got to be kidding! I had 5K in my 90GT and that was just replacing worn out parts. Still needed a new engine and trans(also paint).
It has alot of miles and things are going to go wrong. Anyone can fix a reservoir. You can do it!

keep'em flying!
beretta

Post by beretta »

im glad mine works good, i swapped a 3.1 5 speed in when i bought it more because i thought it would have more power then the 2.0 L automatic and the tranny was starting to act up and hadnt even drove it on the road yet.

Mechanically things i have had to replace.. was the fuel pump the factory one was 12 psi and did run and drive great but failed pollution test for exhaust temps too hot after replacing the pump it passed with flying numbers.

And replaced tires because i have to drive it this winter until my trucks on the road.

Had to replace 1 rear wheel cylinder and when i had it certified in august when i put it on the road i had to put new connectors for the side markers and new rotors and pads on the front but i had rotors and pads like new from my engine donor car.

it sat for like 2 years before i put it on the road and never had any problems in the 15 to 20,000 km i have put on it and im not that easy with it most times lol.

I have a drive axle thats been starting to go since the fall but i knew i would have to replace it because the boot had a small hole and the grease comes out slow. been clicking and vibrating for the past 5 to 8000 km and keeps going, but i think maybe the wheel bearing might be part of the problem and i have used ones from my engine donor car as well.

i also do all the work myself so all it cost me is parts, only time my cars would go to a garage was to be pollution tested or certified.

Changing the steering pump is not hard at all, some of the bolts might be a bugger to get out but its really not work 400 bucks at a garage. the last pump i bought was for a 3.8 L and i think it was around $130.00 i think you could only buy the pump for it not the reservoir.

Changing it is just a matter of un hooking the lines to it taking out 3 or 4 bolts and the belt and put the new one in place its at the top on the side or (front i guess) of the engine so easy to get to you dont need to take anything off to find it.

Does it not have power steering at all ? have you tryed putting more fluid in to see if it works or if its leaking some where ? maybe its just low and has a slow leak or something. if it does get low it will stop working but normally you would hear it whining or making some noise. long as its not the steering rack should be easy to fix. the steering rack is probably not bad to change either but will cost more then the pump.

tvc3-gtz

Post by tvc3-gtz »

there is a thread with a bumper off of a quad z26 in the exact some color.. also yeah that mechinic is fishy as hell, dont be ripped off man that is a rare and pretty color car

killaj131

Post by killaj131 »

Ok so I just called Jensen Tire and I got a quote of how much it would be for a reservoir and a steering pump( comes together) and it would be around $300 but then I get a 10% discount cause of where I work. so ya lol gonna go monday and get it checked out so im hoping that thats all it is is the reservior cause like I said it just leaks in and out of my car and my steering don't work so pretty much thats the problem! unless something else connects to the pump also? An if I could fix it i totally would but with me having no tools really and not knowing what im doing im pretty much screwed....But any ways I called back to the place that we usually go to , to talk with the owner that works on cars and he said it would be about 6 1/2 hours of laybor and around $750! He said that the part is attached to the frame of the car and thats why it would take so long and that laybor is what is killing the price. An that after wards he would have to do tire alignment? but ok sure lol like i said idk what its all about . An I would like to say this has to be the best message board I have been to and am glad to be apart of it cause eveybody is so friendly so thanks for you help everybody!

beretta

Post by beretta »

$300 is just for the pump ??? or installed ??
man that pump cant be more then 150 bucks... you gotta find a new place to buy parts LOL.

This might not be the exact one for your car, but its for the 3.1 or 3100 list for 94 beretta, should be the same thing, not 100 % sure. but just for reference look at the price...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-CORSI ... ccessories

19.00... thats a long way from 300

beretta

Post by beretta »

if one from a 2.0 L is the same i have one from my original engine that was still in good working order, i may even have one from a 3.1 L not 3100 but it very possibly could be the same, if someone could verify that the 2.0 L one will fit, or from a 91 3.1 L or 2.8 L then ill sell you mine cheap. cheap as in like cheap.. like 15 bucks maybe plus shipping.

I could probably get you a used correct one for your car from the scrap yard for probably $5.00 but its an hour drive for me and would cost me $20.00 in fuel and time to take it off. i would not have a way to test it but i would look for the best looking one and not leaking.

killaj131

Post by killaj131 »

No it 300 all together installed and parts! Lol. No Beretta don't go through all that trouble thanks though

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

What's connected to the frame? The pump is mounted to the engine. The upper engine mount is in the way. That must be what he is talking about, but that's not hard.I don't trust that guy. Alignment? Why?
Anyway you have it covered. Don't feel any need to ask him anything. You have enough info from him.
Alot can and will go wrong with this car. Don't let it get you down. One thing at a time. Pick your fights with problems and try not to think of them as a whole. Just say: "I will fix this first and then move on to some other problem later".

keep'em flying!
SuzukiGhostRider

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

MPB is right on the money. These cars are an ADDICTION and a royal pita at times. But if you love them, as we do for some strange reason, they are worth the fight. :D

$300 all in parts, labor, fluids, bleeding the pump, etc is a MUCH more reasonable price. Still a TOUCH high, but not too bad for shop work in Canada ( I presume Canada, yes?). As to the alignment, you need to tell the guy you USED to (I hope) "usually go to" to go screw himself. He is flat RIPPING YOU OFF! Absolutely ZERO need for an alignment unless you do one of the following to a car:

Struts
Tie Rod ends
In SOME cases, Ball joints

Or if you threw your alignment out hitting a pothole, blowing a tire and bending a rim,etc. Someone tells you need an alignment for ANYTHING else, they're very likely FULL OF crap.

Oh, and the Power Steering Pump is most certainly NOT "connected to the frame" in ANY Beretta.

scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

I'm gonna have to say that the first mechanic is talking about replacing the steering rack, which would involve removal or replacement of the tie rods as well and a wheel alignment (if he's dumb)... Just saying...

*edit* He doesn't have to touch the adjustments on your tie rods or do a wheel alignment after changing a bad steering rack! (but you do on MANY other cars)
Last edited by scd88ga on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'94 Quad 4 H.O. 5 speed Z26, Red & Rare! 1 of 896 Quad Z26's and of those it's 1 of 167 red paint/gray interior!
Need A Quality Used Part? Contact me at Posihead Auto Parts!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Posihead ... 3779691724
killaj131

Post by killaj131 »

If it was a steering rack would that cause the fluid to go all over my carpet by the pedal and out side the car? That's what happend the guy put fluid in and he came in to get rags to clean up the mess that had gone all over the carpet and there was fluid under the car also and when I left the place for a little bit you could hear a little bubbles from the leak.

scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

killaj131 wrote:If it was a steering rack would that cause the fluid to go all over my carpet by the pedal and out side the car?
Yes, it most definitely could cause that to happen.

Actually, on your Beretta when you remove the steering rack, the mechanic doesn't need to touch the tie rods at all as they just simply unbolt from the center of the rack, so no alignment is needed whatsoever! A new rack is a little under $100, but is fairly labor intensive compared to removing a power steering pump, but it still shouldn't cost anywhere near what you were quoted y the first guy!

The part sticking up on the right hand of the picture is where your steering column in the car attaches to the steering rack, that's where the rack goes through the firewall of your car from the engine bay into the passenger compartment by your feet. FYI, the steering rack bolts to the firewall of your car, not the frame or subframe. (but it does bolt to the frame on many other cars)...

FYI, There is a seal in the steering rack where that shaft is sticking out in the picture right below where your steering column attaches, it sounds like that is where yours is leaking!

'94 Quad 4 H.O. 5 speed Z26, Red & Rare! 1 of 896 Quad Z26's and of those it's 1 of 167 red paint/gray interior!
Need A Quality Used Part? Contact me at Posihead Auto Parts!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Posihead ... 3779691724