The Red '96 Z26 (78K Miles)

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
2.2H8TA

Re: '96 Z26-Link to New Photos on Pg. 13

Post by 2.2H8TA »

Good question, I didn't notice untill you pointed that out. The computer I'm on has a mean green tinted monitor, but looking at them on my camera I can tell. Probably something to do with the light and the distance I was from the car.

1994 AQUA ZED
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

My mechanic scaned the codes again yesterday, it's still throwing evap, and random missfire. This is after replacing that little vaccum cap on the upper. I'm due for an oil change in 500 miles or so, and the place I go has the smoke machine to check for vaccum leaks, so I'm gonna have that done then. Anybody have any experience with these smoke test things?
Also it has not leaked coolant in like 2 weeks. Not complaning, but WTF?

1994 AQUA ZED
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Were the old codes cleared?

keep'em flying!
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

Yes they were cleared. After talking to a dealer mechanic today I found out the specifics on the smoke test. He told me in most cases, it turns out to be the fuel tank pressure sensor, and in this car that is part of the entire fuel tank sending unit. Part costs $400 at the dealer. Your thoughts, opinions on this information I was given? Anybody...

1994 AQUA ZED
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

There is no fuel tank pressure sensor to my knowledge so don't fall for that one. And if you wanted a new full pickup they are $210 for an ACDelco one on RockAuto. Don't buy from the dealer unless its not available anywhere else.

You need to solve the random misfire issue before worrying about the evap issue.

I once again feel you had a bad repair done with the LIMG and its causing you these idle, misfire, and evap issues.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

I didn't see that on rock auto when I was looking yesterday. It did have a bit of an odd idle issue before the LIMG job was done, but the old cluster didn't throw me an SES light. It was also hooked up to a scan tool with the old cluster in the car and it didn't throw any codes. It wasn't untill I did the cluster swap that the SES light was on. The first time I started it with the new cluster in, it had the light on. I'm assuming the light was burnt out in that old cluster, but that doesn't explain why it didn't throw any codes with that cluster in it. I don't get it. In previous posts in this thread, I belive SGR stated that the evap problem could be causing the random misfire.

1994 AQUA ZED
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I think its the other way around. Your random misfire is causing the evap code.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
2.2H8TA

Re: '96 Z26-Vaccum Leak Nightmare Solved!

Post by 2.2H8TA »

I had the smoke test done this morning. It is the fuel filler neck. Gonna order one from rock auto, and finally fix this damn thing! :good:

1994 AQUA ZED
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

After all of this you never smelt fuel when the car would sit or when you were around it? I was able to detect a bad filler neck by the fuel smell when the car would be sitting in the sun for a while.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

Poor things do tend to rust out. I even have a back up for my car, just because I found more rust than I'd like to see. Nothing too bad yet, but I'm not going to chance it.

keep'em flying!
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

Honestly, no I never smelt fuel anytime when the car was not running. The only time I had ever smelt fuel was on start-ups. I'm just glad it's that, and not something bigger like the intake gaskets not being done properly or something like that. Seems rock auto is the only place to get one of these things too, and there is only 4 left. Gonna jump on it before they're all gone. MPB, where did you get yours from, and what brand is it. Not like it really matters, just curious.

1994 AQUA ZED
Money pit Beretta

Got a nice one at the JY for cheap. I looked it all over and it's close to new.

keep'em flying!
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

Ahh, nice. Yeah I'm not gonna have that kind of luck around here, so I'm forced to buy new.

1994 AQUA ZED
Money pit Beretta

Yeah I got very lucky. Freaking hard to find any Berettas around here and if I do they are junk.
So after they found the leak did they cover it to test and see if the problem was gone?

keep'em flying!
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

No they didn't cover it, but that was the only place it smoked out of, so thats it for sure.
I wasn't with the car when this was done, my dad was. The mechanic knows what he's doing though, so I'm confident that this will solve it.
I just found and ordered the part locally, for $20 less than rock auto!

1994 AQUA ZED