DTMAce's 95 Black Base - THE BAMBI KILLER! - New Pics 5-1!

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
DTMAce

Re: DTMAce's 95 Black Base - THE BAMBI KILLER! - New Pics 5-

Post by DTMAce »

Chad91GTZ wrote:If the valve was held shut, WHAT would be making the noise then?

Something is mechanically contacting another part.
Apparently a spun bearing, or worse.

Pulled the valve covers today, turned it over while watching the rockers/valves. All of them go up and down pretty evenly as they should, no loose rockers either.. OH well. I was wrong. But can't hurt to hope it was something else. LOL

No, I was thinking the noise was from the cam hitting the collapsed lifters... But I guess that would not make as loud a noise eh?

So the engine is toast boys. Good thing I didn't sell it to someone, and at the same time I wish I had sold it before it blew.. LOL

Now, if I can find an engine for a 100 bucks, I would swap it, but that's not likely to happen, so its going to be parted out. More as I get ready to do so. Have to get it back to Michigan first.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Wow, let the good news continue. Just got off the phone with a guy that has a 3100 complete with a tranny for 150 bucks. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

Chad91GTZ

Post by Chad91GTZ »

Do it.

Does he have any tires? LOL

My Motortopia

Bfest Committee 2012, 2013, 2014
Bfest AND Bust 2012 Winner: First ever clutch swap at Berettafest!
Bfest 2013 Watermelon Award: Boob shaped hood dents FTW
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

LOL

You're killing me!

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

you better take that engine apart after you pull it so we know what the culprit is.

I had an engine that threw a rod bearing and all it did was knock at higher RPM's it was rather quite at idle and idled SMOOTH... not like someone bent open a valve or f-ed up the timing. Thats why I feel it's still something with the cam or timing or valve train and not just a spun bearing. But WTF do I know right?!

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Well, I agreed with you remember? LOL

But the valves are all going up and down evenly while cranking. No loose rockers. No stuck valves. They all seem to have the correct height (from an eyeball view). And it hammers pretty good, which we all know. I have listened to many engine videos the past few days, and many that had the bottom end bad did sound similar, so who knows. Oh I plan to pull it apart, I would like to know WTF happened too. Have to pull the oil pan anyway, I need it for the Z. LOL

Even if it is the timing chain jumped a tooth, that still shouldn't make it knock that bad should it? I mean it should just be running rougher....

I am starting to think that maybe, just maybe, I actually lost a piston. Meaning its stuck up near the head and the rod is flopping around against the cylinder walls. But who knows. I will find out though.

Though I can't imagine for the life of me why that would happen after driving then parking, then starting it back up... LOL

I figure a good running engine for 150 bucks isn't a bad price, rather than try to fix this one and hope it doesn't break again. :P

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

If you skipped a tooth then no it wouldn't just run rougher, if it's bad enough of a mis alignment you could be making piston to valve contact, and remember there is 0.080" of pre-load on a lifter, so if you hit a valve and it's bent, you still may not feel the slop in the rocker.

And yes I know you agreed with me.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Well, I'm not an engine expert by any means. Will find out eventually though. Hope to drag it back down to Michigan later this week/weekend so I can yank the engine. Going forward with replacement for now. Can't really mess around, I mean think about it. $150 and time swapping an engine, or at least that much if not more with gaskets and lord knows what else rebuilding the current one?

Its either that or I part it out and wash my hands of it.

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

I sure hope your joking on the part out.

keep'em flying!
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

No, I wasn't.

If you have been following the thread, you would know this car is barely worth saving. The ONLY reason I even fixed the hood and fender before fest was so I could make a bit more on selling it. Now I'm in the hole again. So its down to if I feel like putting in more time/money and swapping in a used 3100, or part/scrap the car. Sure, I don't want to do that, or I would have done it by now. But its getting ridiculous.

Just when I get it back to looking good, something goes wrong. 2 weeks after I bought it, a deer messed it up. Once I had finally gotten that straightened and fixed (outside of painting the hood) another deer messed it up. Then another one really helped it some more. And now? After getting it looking halfway decent, going clear to fest and back, even managing to collect a trophy with the old girl, it does this. LOL

I seriously think this thing was not meant for me. Hence why I want to sell it. Not like I have been abusing it or anything. I have been slowly fixing SO much stuff with this car! It even has a horn again!

Oh, and just something, cause I forgot to mention it earlier. I was shocked to find that one of the alternator brackets was installed incorrectly... LOL OH well.

The "replacement" engine I have on hand, has already been pulled from a car, is sitting at someones side garage (outside) with a hood or something over it. Included is a transmission, though I doubt its going to be a 4T60E. Maybe it will be a 65 or HD? LOL

The only thing missing is the alternator apparently. Even has all the harness wiring attached, though probably cut off and clipped. No biggie though. Not even going to crack a seal on the engine, just going to make sure mounts and externals are setup, and drop her in. Nothing fancy. Then, providing it works and runs, she goes up for sale immediately after. I will probably DD it till its sold.

But there is one more thing I will be checking on the existing engine before hand, and that's the timing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but do our timing gear setups have nylon coated teeth?

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Yeah I know what kind of shape that car is in. Somehow and in some way I was thinking of the Aqua(watching TV or just brain dead). I just have to remember that both Beretta's are deer killers. Not just my favorite one of yours.

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

no our timing setups are just metal gears and metal chain, nothing special. there is a rubber dampener that's in the middle to prevent the chain from having slop on the slack side but that's about it.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Well, its finally back home. Trailered it down today from Canada. We stopped to top off my brothers gas for his truck, and I actually had a couple of people ask about it. Have to admit it looked really good on the trailer... LOL

Anyway, its now in the driveway, so I have to start tearing it apart.. Yay oh joy.

themixer

Post by themixer »

one more saved!

DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Not necessarily. But will see.