What is the value of an 90 Beretta Indy?

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
chargerrich

What is the value of an 90 Beretta Indy?

Post by chargerrich »

I am about to close on a 1990 GTU Beretta Indy Pace Car as a fun nostalgia project and was curious what the value of this car is in terms of my purchasing.

The Car is a two owner with 125k miles on it. Everything seems to work, digital cluster has no issues, the power windows work, AC is cold, engine looks clean and has new belts. No smoke or transmission slips (Auto).

The paint has some fading but honestly not too bad for its age and the interior is a solid 7 or 8 out of 10 with no cracks or rips. The car appears to be well cared for, it privately owned and mechanically solid.

Definitely not a show car, its been driven but overall i would say its above average to good.

So what are these worth nowadays? It is the yellow one with all the decals in good shape and I believe that only 1500 were produced correct?

Any advice on what the problem spots are and what to look for when I go to purchase?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by chargerrich on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: What is the value of an 90 Beretta Indy?

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Problem spots are the same for every Beretta... Check for rust on the spring perch area and under the fenders and inner rocker area of the door.

If the body is solid then it's a decent car to start with, especially if the dash really has no cracks or bubbles... That would be a rare find. As far as the paint goes, it can be fixed but unfortunately the decals are near impossible to find for the yellow car. I'm currently working on getting a set duplicated so we have something out there but with that mileage on a blue book site your probably looking at $905 in my area for private party sale with "average" as its condition. Every area is different. Edmunds.com will still go back to 1990 for car values so check that out.

And yes there were only 1500 made in that color as the replica's

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
chargerrich

Post by chargerrich »

Yeah I looked at edmunds but I have to think that the Indy has "some" value over a GT/GTU/GTZ - but maybe not.

I am looking at 1800 and the price is firm. Given the nostalgia value, I guess I am not buying as an investment :)

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

The value is better left to who is purchasing it... What is it worth to you? And no your NEVER buying a Beretta as an investment.

Unfortunately the 74th pace car is pretty much the forgotten about car... no matter where you look there is hardly any info on it, so unfortunately it's not that valuable to the general public... But it is a sought after vehicle for those who have a thing for a Beretta that's for sure.

And personally if the exterior isn't that bad I would say that's fairly priced.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Styluss
Global Moderator

Post by Styluss »

FYI GTU and Indy are two different cars...

$1800 doesn't seem bad for the car with the details you've given us. Offer them $1500 cash and use some of what Jon mentioned as ammo. No one cares about these cars from an actual collector standpoint, Berettas are a dime a dozen (I know we're talking about an Indy here but the seller may be persuaded with a statement as such), etc.

Give the car a damn good once over and be sure to point out any and everything that is wrong with it. You say the interior is a 7 or an 8? Well, call out why he lost two points. Point out the paint, look for rust spots developing, try every switch and button to see if any of them don't work. Try the heat and AC... you're looking for any weaknesses that you can use to drop the price point.

However don't come off as a hard ass. A seller is much more willing to work with a personable buyer than a hard ass.

1989 GTU - The Nice Car
1989 GTU Mock - The Neglected Car
1989 Base Model - The Rally Car
88_GTU

Post by 88_GTU »

If it's the same guy, I offered him $2200 7 months ago when he was asking for $4k. The dash was in really good shape for the age with some buckling up front by the defroster vent. The important thing was that the body was in excellent shape! As Jon stated, I looked at all the normal areas of concern and they were nearly perfect condition. Sadly, the paint is quite faded and like Jon said the decal kit is next to impossible to find. Also, there was some clunking in the front suspension from the passenger side IIRC. (it may have been the drivers side) Engine and trans were strong tho so that with the solid body will def make for a nice start to a project car.

If I remember more I'll post up. This was the car in Cascade WI and it was listed in the Sheboygan craigslist.

Hope this helps,
Jon

88 GTU 5spd 67k black
89 GTU 3500/5spd swapped 79k white
08 TBSS LS2 AWD
Blacklit

Post by Blacklit »

when i got mine it was nearly destroyed from bad previous owners. got it for $300 back in 2001 and was planning on parting it, then crushing it. but it ended up as a total rebuild project. love that car. still never tagged or insured it. dont even pay taxes each year yet...lol. lettin it get some age on it i guess before unleashing it back into the world

90 Yellow Beretta Indy 3.1 auto
06 Chevy Colorado 2.5 5 spd
04 Blazer Xtreme 4.3 auto
91 Camaro RS 350 auto
Rodville

Post by Rodville »

chargerrich wrote:I am about to close on a 1990 GTU Beretta Indy Pace Car
All of the Indy's (both teal and yellow) started life as a Beretta GT, then they were transformed into Indy's. If you key the VIN into carfax it will show as a GT.