New from Northeast NY

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
StevenJMcTowlie

New from Northeast NY

Post by StevenJMcTowlie »

Hello everyone. I am a long time lurker here and was a member on BStuff when I still had my Beretta and am still a member on 60degreev6. I ran into some financial trouble and was forced to sell my baby. Well, I was on craigslist the other day and low and behold, my Beretta was up for sale. I immediately contacted the seller and put a deposit on the car so I didn't lose it. It was a black 91 base with a 5 speed 3.1. I had just purchased a new trans from another member (berettaless4now) in Rochester when I was forced to sell the car along with a large collection of parts I had. Now I am making my return to the scene and can't wait to get back into my old car. Right now there are two issues I need to resolve,

1st - The rear brake line has rusted out, the current owner just looped the rear lines at the master so it still has front brakes but I would like to fix this. Not sure if I should try to find the brake/fuel line set or just replace each line with bend to fit lines?

2nd - The tilt steering has broken, causing the steering wheel to flop about while driving. I can drive it like this, but again would prefer to either fix or replace the column. Not sure what causes the column to do this and if it is fixable or needs to be replaced?

Thanks in advance for any help with these two issues, and it's great to back among fellow Beretta enthusiast. Im looking forward to working with everyone again.

woody90gtz

Re: New from Northeast NY

Post by woody90gtz »

Last I knew the brake/fuel line assembly was still available for 3x00 cars. Not sure about the older ones, I know the fuel lines are different.

Tilt columns require some specialty tools to tear them down, easiest fix would be to replace it rather than repair.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

Woody's right.
Just replace the column with a salvaged one.
20 minute job.

Can't say I remember you, but welcome back.

Check out the "B'Fest NE Canada" thread.

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
StevenJMcTowlie

Thanks woody, I guess the search for a 91 steering column begins.

@asylum - When I first joined Bstuff I was problems with my rear brakes, the self adjusters where not where they should have been (can't remeber if they were on the top or bottom). This led to me to discover that while my 91 base was here in the states, it had been built for a non-US market. I also spent a lot of time trying to figure out where my wheels came from and we finally found that were an accessory option for a PT crusier. I remember a lot of the members from Bstuff and have noticed that most of you are here. Always got great help from everyone, one of the best groups I have ever found on a car forum. I wish I could put up a pic of the car, guess I will have to wait till I hit my post count

MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

Their is a jy by me that has a few and im willing to help out if needed, im from rochester

StevenJMcTowlie

That would be greatly appreciated. My brother goes to school out there at RIT so if you find something I can send him to pick it up so shipping wont be an issue. It is a 91 3.1 5 speed with tilt steering and no cruise control. Let me know if you find anything, thanks again for your help.

MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

Is this the car that was lowered blk with rims that u bought by chance

StevenJMcTowlie

Thats the one.

MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/3456886447.html would this be.the one if so looks to be in nice shape for mileage

StevenJMcTowlie

The interior is shot, but the body is clean. Far as I can tell there is only one spot of rust where the drivers door meets the fender. When I had it it got washed twice a week and waxed once a month. I can say that I honestly don't like the drop and plan to return it to factory height.

MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

I have aset of z26 seats if ur interested they are in mint shape other then needing a cleaning from sitting in the rafters of the garage

quad4berettagtz
Administrator

Post by quad4berettagtz »

Welcome back!

Mike - Beretta.net Committee Chairman Emeritus
'90 Med Garnet GTZ<-awaiting heart transplant 295k
'90 Black GTZ SCCA Solo II #24 STS
'92 Quasar Blue GTZ <- rusted into a holding pattern
95BerettaBase

Post by 95BerettaBase »

So how long have you been without the Beretta then? How long ago did you sell it?

-1995 Chevy Beretta Base *SOLD*
-1998 Chevy Silverado 4x4
-2016 Chevy Silverado Z71
-2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide

1995 Chevy Beretta Base - 3100 V6 w/ 284,000 and still kickin'.
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

The car looks great, welcome back to the community. I took a break for a while too, when bstuff died, but this site is almost like home, so welcome back. I honestly don't remember the car by picture, but the rear drum issue rings a very faint bell with me. I think the front looks like a good height, but I agree about the rear being too low.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
StevenJMcTowlie

Thanks for all the welcomes. I have been gone about 1 1/2 years with my Beretta. Selling it was the hardest thing I have ever done, buying it back the easiest. I am definitely going to bring it back up, and going to take the cheap ebay catback off and replace it with something more stock. I want to restore the interior and generally just keep it clean. My buddy just built a whole powder coat setup in his garage, 6ft oven and all so I was thinking of stripping the wheels and doing them in a dark red.