Should I fix or sell?

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
Berettas#1

Re: Should I fix or sell?

Post by Berettas#1 »

I would say fix, with the amount of time/money into it. Plus you probably wont get over 1k for it as is, might as well have something you like.

1995 Z26 auto 3100 spfi (sold)
1989 GT 5 speed 2.8 mpfi (crushed)
1993 GT 5 speed 3.1 mpfi (dd)
1988 GTU 5 speed 3500
1996 Base/Z26 hybrid 3400-3500 turbo 5 speed

Koots

Post by Koots »

I'd keep it, but I've been down that road a lot with some of my vehicles...including my K5 project and Corsica build right at this very moment.

Overall, if I sold them in current condition, even with tons of time and money put into them, I would be ripping myself off and I've already done that before. I had a 97 Civic that I put lots of work into, including suspension and engine mods, long story short, I paid $500 for it, put over $3000 into it (including performance mods), had major brake failure, had to drive into a pole (or face the 4-lane intersection), then sell the car for $400 just to make money to move back home...defeated and broke.

I probably could have fixed it for less than $150, took a day off work to work on it in a Walmart parking lot (wasn't allowed to work on it near my apartment building) and got it running good enough to sell it, then move home with extra money to fix up my old truck.

96B-Mike

Post by 96B-Mike »

Koots wrote:I'd keep it, but I've been down that road a lot with some of my vehicles...including my K5 project and Corsica build right at this very moment.

Overall, if I sold them in current condition, even with tons of time and money put into them, I would be ripping myself off and I've already done that before. I had a 97 Civic that I put lots of work into, including suspension and engine mods, long story short, I paid $500 for it, put over $3000 into it (including performance mods), had major brake failure, had to drive into a pole (or face the 4-lane intersection), then sell the car for $400 just to make money to move back home...defeated and broke.

I probably could have fixed it for less than $150, took a day off work to work on it in a Walmart parking lot (wasn't allowed to work on it near my apartment building) and got it running good enough to sell it, then move home with extra money to fix up my old truck.
dam bro that shitty, n thats good you survived all through that.

but yeah i am going to keep it..imma finish up the 3400 swap..and ill get a new car when i get either a promotion or start my career

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Were those gaskets installed when you purchased the motor? If so they it's their fault it failed. Warranty all the way.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
96B-Mike

Post by 96B-Mike »

hmm imma definitely look more into it

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Fix it up. To get your money's worth out of it you'll have to.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
96B-Mike

Post by 96B-Mike »

im not sure if I should buy a set of used heads for a cheaper route...or have a machine shop redo em ?

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

These heads are usually pretty tough. Find a lower mileage engine in a junk-yard, and go from there. Save the money. Flip the heads upside down and pour gasoline or solvent into all of the chambers to make sure the valves all seal right. I know spending a bunch of time working on something like this isn't a great idea during hard times, but look at how much money you can save by doing some of these things yourself. Most garages are now charging ~$80 per hour for labor -I don't make that much very often, so it is usually cost-effective for me to do my own work. :pardon:

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
96B-Mike

Post by 96B-Mike »

Rettax3 wrote:These heads are usually pretty tough. Find a lower mileage engine in a junk-yard, and go from there. Save the money. Flip the heads upside down and pour gasoline or solvent into all of the chambers to make sure the valves all seal right. I know spending a bunch of time working on something like this isn't a great idea during hard times, but look at how much money you can save by doing some of these things yourself. Most garages are now charging ~$80 per hour for labor -I don't make that much very often, so it is usually cost-effective for me to do my own work. :pardon:
Yeah one of the shop quoted me $100 per head.. So if i were to buy used heads.. I make sure i clean the f out of em lol

Slinky

Post by Slinky »

I work for a machine shop and are going rate is $75 per hour, and that is cheap compared to the machine shops around, my heads are still for sale if you bought them and clean them they would be fine to put back on

1 Of 1 Street Legal Centri S/c Beretta's In Existance
96B-Mike

Post by 96B-Mike »

Slinky wrote:I work for a machine shop and are going rate is $75 per hour, and that is cheap compared to the machine shops around, my heads are still for sale if you bought them and clean them they would be fine to put back on
yeah? send me pics?

Slinky

Post by Slinky »

You emailed me and I emailed you back, $50 plus shipping for both heads there still assembled they just need clean

1 Of 1 Street Legal Centri S/c Beretta's In Existance
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Slinky wrote:You emailed me and I emailed you back, $50 plus shipping for both heads there still assembled they just need clean
:shock: $50.. For both? Darn good deal for good 3400 heads...

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26