RWD 'Pro Street' Beretta

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
Rettax3

RWD 'Pro Street' Beretta

Post by Rettax3 »

Check this out. I don't care for most 'Pro Street' cars, I don't like pizza-cutters up front and I don't like gargantuan tires tucked in too far to be seen on any angle but straight from the side. But his thing is a beauty, and the engineering that went into it... Well, my crappy pictures don't do it justice.

This was an '89 Beretta.
-It has been lengthened slightly (longer distance between the leading edge of the door and the front wheel-well).
-The rear wheel-well has been lengthened in the arch for the bigger wheels.
-One-piece fibreglass front-end. Damage in the chin is about the ONLY blemish this car has.
-ZZ3 Chevy 350 crate engine. Four-barrel carb, was once fuel injected (hence the emblem on the side), but performs better with the carb. Headers, all the regular goodies. Should be pushing 320-350 HP. A little better than a stock 3400...
-TH350 auto trans, extra clutches for better performance/longevity. Needs a five-speed... :pardon:
-Mopar Posi 8 3/4" rear-end, heavy-duty 489 case (same thing I have in my Plymouth), very streetable 3.73:1 gears, IIRC.. Third-member (for those that know Mopar) is accessible from INSIDE the car for gear-changes -just pull the wheels, rear brakes, unbolt the axle-flanges and slide the axles out several inches, and stay inside the car for the rest of the 45-minute gearing-change).
-Wheelie bars (c'mon, you know you want 'em on your car! :Bravo: Well, you know you want to NEED them on your car! :twisted: ).
-Full custom roll-cage, designed for easy in/out through the doors and unobtrusiveness -it is hard to even see the cage until you are right up to the car.
-Trunk-mounted battery and 15 gallon (13 usable) fuel-cell. Safety here, people!
-Four mufflers, Flowmaster IIRC -one less than my 3800 GTU, volume is roughly the same though. I didn't hear it under heavy throttle though, but it sounds awesome.
-Custom billet-aluminum spoiler-brackets, custom spoiler with machined Bow-Tie.
-Z04 (GTZ/Z-26 body-work)
-'87 door-panels, apparently came with the car.
-Immaculate dash, aside from the roll-cage mounting points.
-Pristine seats -really the whole interior is in great shape.
-I would have done the layout for the gauges differently, but that is just preference. Actually, I would have tried to leave stock Beretta gauges in there, most likely. That would have been pretty hard with the tranny and engine-swap though.
-Functional A/C, heat, etc. This car was actually built to drive. Even has power steering, via a Fox-body rack-and-pinion.
-Fully street-legal, completely rebuilt and serialized, State Patrol inspected and passed. E-test legal? I think yes, due to the VIN-delete and re-serialization... California would probably not allow it though...
-The paint looks like it was done a year ago. Very well kept car.
-17 MPG. Probably not at WOT running down a track though :wink:.
-For sale too, $30k with a fully enclosed trailer. The guy spent over twice that building this car, and it does show -he didn't cut any corners on the build. This is no hack-job. It isn't a Beretta shell on top of a tube chassis, either. It is a Beretta unibody with an integrated full roll-cage and RWD V-8 configuration.
P1300779c.jpg
P1300793b.jpg
P1300790b.jpg
P1300783b.jpg
P1300787c.jpg
I wish I had had a better opportunity to inspect the RWD setup. It does use leaf-springs, which I thought was very interesting. I would have preferred coil-overs, but there is nothing wrong with leaf-springs, especially considering that the car is designed for fast in a straight line, and regular driving, not road-course or rally-racing. There is no back seat, which is a little unfortunate, considering all the rest of the accommodations that the Beretta chassis offered that were kept with the car. It really is too bad he is selling the car, but that makes an opportunity for someone else, I guess.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
1988GTU

Re: RWD 'Pro Street' Beretta

Post by 1988GTU »

Nice, not my cup of tea.

Pointless motor (350hp... ugh really?) and trans, don't like the length added and the use of the unibody scares me a little. The s10 frame concept would be the way I'd go.

For that money, I'd want triple the power, or at least a more stock looking Beretta with RWD not using the unibody.

_________
-------------
MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

Car is beautiful, i would have done few things different myself at least more.hp for amount of money n time into it

Travelor
Global Moderator

Post by Travelor »

The dash... It makes me cry a little. Because I wants its.....

1988 GTU
1990 GTZ
Beretta Preservation Society Chairman

"Have you painted your car in a parking lot today?"
96B-Mike

Post by 96B-Mike »

yeah 350hp and you have tires like that? i would hope you would be pushing minimum 500-600hp lol