Reproduction dew strips. Please read and please vote.

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.

Would you be interested in reproduction dew strips?

1. Yes for one set only.
37%
2. Yes and more then one set. (2 or more)
41%
3. No
No votes
4. Depends on price.
22%

Total votes: 51

NJ93TY

Reproduction dew strips. Please read and please vote.

Post by NJ93TY »

There is always a lot of talk about dew strips and how finding a mint set is like gold. A lot of us have ones on our current car that are brittle, broken or just look like crap. Well I have a source who is willing to take a look at our strips, and if there is enough interest to possibly reproduce them. So I have created a poll to see how many people are seriously interested. It would most likely be a one time group purchase. You are not obligated to anything in this poll by voting. I have no idea of price but I can assure you it would not be outrageous. I just need to see some actually interest before I reach out to my guy and possibly have this done. I honestly believe we would need at least 100 people who were really interested in them before I move forward. I have no idea of a time frame either so please don't think if we hit 100 "Yes" votes by Friday we will have them under our Christmas trees next month because we wont. Feel free to post any questions/comments in this thread if you have any concerns before voting. Thanks

Money pit Beretta

Re: Reproduction dew strips. Please read and please vote.

Post by Money pit Beretta »

I have a set of new strips. They are not on the car because it's not in that great of shape. That said I do very much want a better set on the car by next winter. Even if a better car is found having two sets would make me feel better. Price is the key, not wanting to pay $250 again!

keep'em flying!
DUBS28

Post by DUBS28 »

I would be interested in a few sets, depending on price of course.

GW Bancroft (on FB)
'91 Black GTZ
'93 Quasar GT 5-Speed (Under Construction)
GTZfan

Post by GTZfan »

I'm interested as well, depending on quality mainly. They should be identical to the stock ones of course. Voted for 2 or more.

I doubt there will be 100 votes, dont think there is even as many active members in the forum. Maybe also try Q4 forums?

1991 GTZ Quad4 black, all original, low miles. Beretta Calendar 2008, 2009, 2015
1992 GTZ Quad4 quaser, completely restored. Beretta Calendar 2011, 2012, 2013 images of the shiny quaser
tristynn

Post by tristynn »

I would be interested in one set, possibly more depending on price.

aspman

Post by aspman »

I am interested in two sets

DanteGTZ

Post by DanteGTZ »

If price is >$200 for a set, I'm in. Since EVERY SINGLE BERETTA will need these at some point and no one has stepped up and made them so far, I'd be willing to buy multiple sets to help make this happen.

1993 Quasar Quad4 GTZ - Project WTF

Previous Berettas: 90 GT, 93 Quasar GTZ, 93 Garnet GTZ, 93 Aqua GT
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I tried this before... Not only is there only about a handful of us willing to pay but it was going to cost around 2k for the mold alone to make new ones.

http://www.beretta.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 455#p93455

Go to the next page and read where I spoke to him on the phone about the mold costing 3-5K to be made and YOU need to provide all the specs (size material and so on) since they don't design these they just make them.

I've also found a universal reproduction strip that will fit, it's slightly different but should still work the same. I can post pics of that tonight if people are interested...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
NJ93TY

Post by NJ93TY »

The quality would be excellent. This guy had made them before for a different vehicle and I have some pictures that I can upload later today. As far as price I highly doubt they would be in the $200+ range. I am personally willing to buy several sets also. I will see how this thread goes for the next few weeks and if it turns out good I will be talking to my guy. If it was a matter of shelling out some money to get this started I would be willing to do that from my own pocket depending on price and the amount of interest. I don't feel it would be a mistake.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I think pictures and more detail are whats greatly needed in this scenario seeing how belt weather stripping isn't just something the average person can make easily and cheap. It's extruded rubber over a metal core belt kinda requires specific machines to make.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
NJ93TY

Post by NJ93TY »

Here are pictures from one he has made before. I have seen them in person and the quality was very good. I will not comment on the cost of these because ours are different and I don't want to mislead anyone. But I can tell you the price was very fair.

ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

"I've also found a universal reproduction strip that will fit, it's slightly different but should still work the same. I can post pics of that tonight if people are interested..."

I'd be interested to see these universal strips and where to buy.
I wouldn't spend more than a hundred for reproduction dew strips.
They might be worth it to the purist who wants to keep their Beretta factory.
Me, I just want to keep the cold air out.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

ifixalot wrote: They might be worth it to the purist who wants to keep their Beretta factory.
Me, I just want to keep the cold air out.
It's not a matter of keeping their beretta "factory" It's a matter of whats out there and available, Currently it's nothing since it is such a unique strip and the demand just isn't there to justify someone to make them.

This is probably the best lead I've seen besides mine but I'm not sure of all the details on this deal. However there does seem to be that interest need that could kill it right off the bat. I don't see this website or Facebook group able to drum up a guaranteed group of 100 Or 200 piece's (set) to get this off the ground. This is a very small group of individuals and many aren't 100% in either, they just "own" a beretta.

I'm game for anything so if this person can make a metal core belt weather strip to replace what was there I'll buy 4 sets... But currently I have a solution that I will be implementing regardless since it only costs $50 a set.

This is currently what I'm using, Cut to length and then punch, or drill out the slots for the tabs on the outer molding and holes for the screws. I hope to have a set installed on one of the cars soon... I have just started working on the 96's drive line first.

http://stores.restorationspecialties.com/mr87x-96/

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

Somewhat off topic, but relative to some extent.

What do you use to keep them soft once you find a half decent set?

Mine are fine, nice and soft so far.

I also have Euro mirrors and would like something to put on those boots as well to preserve them even though my car stays indoors most of the time.

FWIW that solution Jon is looking at appears very promising.

:beer:

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Not just looking, I have two strips made, just not installed yet.

I can only assume they dry and crack for the same reasons as the dash does, UV exposure... so I'm not sure if there is anything you can do other than keep it out of the sun as much as possible.
http://www.detailingspot.com/?page_id=21

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"