90 Indy

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
thirdberetta

90 Indy

Post by thirdberetta »

Hello all,
I have a 90 Indy. I'm looking for someone that lives close to Jacksonville, Fl.
To come take a look at it, it stopped running a few years ago. It is currently sitting in the garage.

It started spitting and sputtering, missing and loosing power. this went on for a few months.
The problem got more frequent.
It will start with a few cranks, but wont run. It idles rough and when I press on the gas it backfires and stops. A few pumps on the gas and a few cranks and it will start again
At first I thought it was bad gas, so I drained the tank, then after that I changed the filter, then the fuel pump.
All in all I have changed the plugs, wires, O2 sensor, coil packs, map sensor. ECU, and some other stuff I cant remember.
The car has 247,000 miles on it, so its time for a rebuild/restoration.

It needs a total restoration. The windshield is cracked and leaks. body work, paint job. No major rust.

I have talked/asked to 2 people I know here, to take a look at it, but it seems they don't want to waste their time.
I DO NOT want to take it to a shop, because I don't trust them.
I am willing to compensate for short distance travel and time.
Thanks to everyone who reads this.

Money pit Beretta

Re: 90 Indy

Post by Money pit Beretta »

There is a really nice and low cost 3.1 with a 40 over bore here for sale. Low price too. That is if you are looking for a bit more power.

keep'em flying!
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

I really would have thought you had a bad pump from the symptoms, and replacing it doesn't guarantee a fix (I replaced the bad pump in my '90 'Retta a few months back, and the new pump is defective, losing pressure as fuel demand increases to the point that the car is not really driveable right now). You could also check the fuel pressure regulator -the most common failure on that is a leaking internal diaphragm, and if that is the problem, fuel will start to seep (or spray) out of the vacuum port if you take the vacuum line off while the system is pressurized. Get a pressure test gauge (Harbor Freight has them for really cheap, just expect it to leak the first time you use it for some reason, or get a loan-out one from AutoZone or O'Reillys if you don't want to buy one -man, I miss my old Actron!). You should be seeing ~42psi idling with the vacuum line off. Generally speaking, static pressure is roughly the same, and it should maintain that pressure for at least several minutes, or something is leaking (injector, FPR, or anti-back-flow valve inside the pump). If it has been sitting, the injectors themselves may now be bad, even if they weren't bad before. I just picked up a set at a salvage-yard and got them home to find that they had been rebuilt not too long ago and they tested wonderfully; The car I dropped them into now runs for the first time in years (Third-Gen RS Camaro 3.1 that I just bought as a project car last month).

Another possible culprit would be the crank sensor, on the back of the block. Trace the yellow/purple wires from the ICM back to it if you can't find it, but it is really easy to get to from underneath.

Keep us updated on your progress if you decide to keep tackling this. That Indy is a pretty neat and rare car... Any pics?

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
thirdberetta

Post by thirdberetta »

I think i replaced the pump at least 3 different times. Its been so long I cant even remember.
Believe me there is nothing more I want than to get it back on the road. To tell the truth I kind of gave up on it, its been at least 2 years, or more, since I have done anything to it. About a month ago I put a battery in it got it started, and tried to back it out of the garage, only to find the rear pass. brakes were locked up, that was a fiasco in its self.
I may start tinkering with it this summer, not sure yet, or maybe start stock piling parts. and do everything all at once. I will start tackling it someday. someday soon I hope.
Right now it's a mess, not much to look at, the clear coat has been sanded off, a dent in the drivers door, and another one above the rear driver's wheel.
Not looking forward to taking the tank out again any time soon, and i think i have a leak somewhere in the rear brake lines.
Thanks for all the info.
I will start troubleshooting.

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Ignition control module. Coils are not integrated in that, just bolted down to it making it an assembly.

_________
-------------